Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Sep 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #1,996 of 2,910
Congratulations!  That's steppin up!  You'll love that combo.  I recall reading about some slight modifications that can be done with the tube on the HEV90 that can have a great impact on the amp, but I'm sure you're well researched on it.

Quote:
Thanks silverlight, I'd love to hear your impressions. I just bought me a HE-90/HEV-90 so I'm really curious to know.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,997 of 2,910
Quote:
Congratulations!  That's steppin up!  You'll love that combo.  I recall reading about some slight modifications that can be done with the tube on the HEV90 that can have a great impact on the amp, but I'm sure you're well researched on it.

Actually I'm not, but since you mentioned it, I will
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,998 of 2,910
Quote:
Thanks silverlight, I'd love to hear your impressions. I just bought me a HE-90/HEV-90 so I'm really curious to know.

Dude - if you bought the HE-90 / HEV-90, the Realizer should be a no brainer for you. It is just a small fraction of the price of your setup and you will be able to hear much more realistic sound as far as 2-channel music is concerned.

Congratulations btw!!!

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #1,999 of 2,910
it is a small fraction indeed but my wallet is seriouly damaged because of this and I live too far away from LA to have my prirs properly done so... no soup for me!

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #2,001 of 2,910
Quote:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/SMWTMS-MeetingI have sent my Smyth to the very critical Detroit Audio Club who have never heard out of the head audio.  Their report live tomorrow.  Tune in.

lol the heck? I watched the 09/15/2012 video and the Smyth Realiser was mentioned at the tail end, and before the guy could say more about it, the video ends.

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #2,002 of 2,910
Quote:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/SMWTMS-MeetingI have sent my Smyth to the very critical Detroit Audio Club who have never heard out of the head audio.  Their report live tomorrow.  Tune in.

Quote:

lol the heck? I watched the 09/15/2012 video and the Smyth Realiser was mentioned at the tail end, and before the guy could say more about it, the video ends.

I agree, not very useful with the video cut off. I am guessing he wasn't too impressed by the tone of his presentation. I think it would be tough to just send it to someone to evaluate. I guess that's what a reviewer would do, but the Realiser is pretty complex and I think an in-person demo with someone who knows how to use it would make a better first impression.

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #2,005 of 2,910
Quote:
No they were impressed but it took them quite a bit of time to get the hang of it.  To bad the video feed quit.

I just watched the full video. Yes, you are right. I take back my impression before. I am impressed at how much he knew about the Realiser. He did a good job.

Actually pretty interesting to watch.

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2,006 of 2,910
Aaargh the HDMI mess. Finally tried using my projector (Sanyo PLV-Z5) using the passthrough. Nooope.

I'm completely PC-based and even upgraded it to get "proper" HDMI (Asus P8Z77-V LK m/b with internal Intel HDMI).

Realiser alone works fine. As soon as I connect my projector, HDMI name changes from Realiser to Sanyo PLV-Z5 and I can only output 2 channels. But there is no video OR even any audio.

So should I try a switch or something like Dr HDMI that someone mentioned?

edit: Actually the solution could be easier than I thought. Since I have lots of connectors (HDMI/DP/DVI) and Intel graphics supports three monitors, I should be able to connect my projector to DP with HDMI adapter.. we'll see tomorrow.

edit2: Finally working.. it appears that Intel HD graphics can support three displays but ONLY on motherboards with two displayports, which are rare if not nonexistent. So it's pretty much impossible to have DVI+HDMI+HDMIaudio internally. But I happened to find an old Asus EAH4350 graphics card with HDMI in my closet. Now everything works great. Intel graphics handle my monitor+projector as usual and Asus outputs to Realiser. Just needed to install ATI Catalyst for multi-channel output (installed ATI HDMI Audio Driver from there, nothing else).

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2,007 of 2,910
Quote:
I just watched the full video. Yes, you are right. I take back my impression before. I am impressed at how much he knew about the Realiser. He did a good job.

Actually pretty interesting to watch.

Yup about the only glaring error is that the impulse response of the PRIR in the Realiser A8 maxes out at 0.85 seconds, not 5 seconds. Still, a pretty good presentation overall.

EDIT: Hefty guy in the blue shirt talks too much for the little knowledge he has. Annoying.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,009 of 2,910
Quote:
Don't know what's wrong, but every time I go to that site it's "off the air".

And when I try to play any of the several recent videos there is no sound.

Oh well.

You should look at the nav bar to the right of the screen and pick the 09/16/2012 meeting video. It starts off without sound but eventually some kind of Bach organ track plays then eventually 8 minutes into the video the meeting starts. No idea what's the deal with that, but oh well.

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #2,010 of 2,910
I'm just baffled why my "one speaker" measurement doesn't work. Just like the manual says, I calibrate only L channel, run SPK, sweep all 12 times. In the end there seems to be 8 channels (except the diagnostics show 5-8 as ==:==:== ??). Both L & C sounds like center , R sounds like it's coming from left, SW from right and every other channel is dead silent! I've been going through everything for hours. 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back