Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Sep 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #1,983 of 2,910
Refurb BDP-93 has arrived and is installed, and working perfectly in feeding the Realiser via HDMI through HDMI2 output.  Its HDMI1 output is set at "video only" and goes to my old original Yamaha RX-V863 (single HDMI outut, which goes to my HDTV).  V863 is set to have its "HDMI pass-through DISABLED", since it no longer needs to feed the Realiser via HDMI.  The V863 is still connected from its preamp outputs to the analog inputs of the Realiser for listening to non-BluRay multi-channel source components running through the V863 (where the V863 does the decoding and sends out discrete multi-channel via its analog preamp outputs).

The Monoprice 4x2 switch (i.e. HDMI "port multiplier" when input 1 is used to feed both output 1 and 2) is out of the picture.

The V867 is currently down at Yamaha service, where the discovery of the flawed "HDMI pass-through" on this AVR as well as two other dual-HDMI-out AVR's has "caused quite a stir around the Buena Park office" as they were able to duplicate my results.  This is especially startling to them as the V863 and V573 (both single-HDI-out AVRs') DO work properly as far as their "HDMI pass-through" functionality.  It does seem (in my opinion) as if some unintended change was inserted when they designed the dual-HDMI-out AVR's.  Japan has been contacted, and I'm waiting to hear back from the Yamaha tech support supervisor in Buena Park letting me know what they said.

Anyway, now that I have the dual-HDMI-out BDP-93 the problem with the V867 is moot.  I'm going to retain the original analog-friendly V863 at my primary location, and the new V867 is reassigned to my second PC location (for my original analog Realiser) where I needed an AVR anyway, with no "HDMI pass-through" capability required.

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,984 of 2,910
I finally bought the Realiser A8 a few weeks ago. It's done a great job emulating my home system - had to re-measure many times though, as the microphone placement is quite critical as many have mentioned - so now I'm ready to move on and go to AIX and Mi Casa to get the measurements done.

Question for those of you who have gone to AIX and Mi Casa:

Lorr Kramer from Smyth said it's not necessary for me to bring any equipment with me - he says they got all the kit on-site. Did you guys bring your own mics/headphone anyway? Just so that you'd be A/Bing with your own transducers.

EDIT: Found my very first thread on Head-Fi...it was about HRTFs via canned software plugins. Ah how far we're come:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/176795/crossfeed-hrtf-users-what-do-you-use#post_2101080

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #1,985 of 2,910
Quote:
Question for those of you who have gone to AIX and Mi Casa:  
Lorr Kramer from Smyth said it's not necessary for me to bring any equipment with me - he says they got all the kit on-site. Did you guys bring your own mics/headphone anyway? Just so that you'd be A/Bing with your own transducers.

I have not gone to AIX or MiCasa, however, if you are using the Stax 2170 setup that Smyth sells with the Realiser, then I wouldn't worry about bringing your own. Same with the microphones. I wouldn't imagine there's much variation from one set of mics to another. Even if there were variations between mics, I am not sure how you would even know unless you did one PRIR with each set and then compared them. I would guess that there would be more variation based on mic insertions rather than variations in the mics themselves.

And as far as the headphones go, even if there are variations from Lorr's to yours, you can always use your HPEQ measurements from your headphones. Plus you can do as many HPEQ's with your headphones as you want once you get back home. The only reason you need the headphones at the measurement session is to compare with the actual speakers and make sure the PRIR sounds accurate.

That's my opinion. You should probably wait to hear from someone who has actually done it though.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #1,986 of 2,910
Quote:
I have not gone to AIX or MiCasa, however, if you are using the Stax 2170 setup that Smyth sells with the Realiser, then I wouldn't worry about bringing your own. Same with the microphones. I wouldn't imagine there's much variation from one set of mics to another. Even if there were variations between mics, I am not sure how you would even know unless you did one PRIR with each set and then compared them. I would guess that there would be more variation based on mic insertions rather than variations in the mics themselves.

And as far as the headphones go, even if there are variations from Lorr's to yours, you can always use your HPEQ measurements from your headphones. Plus you can do as many HPEQ's with your headphones as you want once you get back home. The only reason you need the headphones at the measurement session is to compare with the actual speakers and make sure the PRIR sounds accurate.

That's my opinion. You should probably wait to hear from someone who has actually done it though.

Yup the only reason I'm considering bringing my own headphones etc is just so I can demo it on-site to make sure the sound is accurate over my own headphones when I'm there. This is just the OCD engineer in me speaking; "if you want to be sure something works exactly as is; try it as is" :p

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #1,987 of 2,910
So I've tested my new toy for a few days.

Made PRIR out of my old JBL floor speakers. I have to say that even with those it's already very hard to go back to normal listening! It's a shocker everytime I press MIX to hear how "poor" the original feed sounds (and comes from the back of my head). 
biggrin.gif

Definitely going to visit a local studio which has a Klein+Hummel setup, costs only 70€/h. I guess for fun I'll make a PRIR from a PA-system I partly own too (Mackie/Yorkville)..

Btw how warm is the Realiser supposed to run? It keeps quite warm even when nothing is playing. The bootup sequence is quite slow so I'd rather keep it on 24/7.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #1,988 of 2,910
Quote:
So I've tested my new toy for a few days.

Made PRIR out of my old JBL floor speakers. I have to say that even with those it's already very hard to go back to normal listening! It's a shocker everytime I press MIX to hear how "poor" the original feed sounds (and comes from the back of my head). 
biggrin.gif

Definitely going to visit a local studio which has a Klein+Hummel setup, costs only 70€/h. I guess for fun I'll make a PRIR from a PA-system I partly own too (Mackie/Yorkville)..

Btw how warm is the Realiser supposed to run? It keeps quite warm even when nothing is playing. The bootup sequence is quite slow so I'd rather keep it on 24/7.

I have the Realiser on 24/7, and right now the chassis feels just about body temp. My room is around 77F (25 degC). Do you happen to have something stacked on top of the Realiser?

edit: and yes the Realiser is wonderful! I do the same with the Mix, though the difference is less stark for me since I'd been using virtualizers for years, but still this is a good leap in quality :D

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #1,989 of 2,910
Mine runs pretty warm, but just only warm, definitely not hot, but I do have a ventilated cabinet, and plenty of room around my Realiser.

It seems to use pretty much the same amount of power on stand-by, it only really completely shut off with the original firmware.  But power up was even longer.

-Ed

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #1,990 of 2,910
Hard to judge but feels something like 45C (very warm bath), not hot but definitely quite warm. I guess I'll move my amp from the top to make it little more easier.

I asked since I don't have the original PSU, but I got a decend regulated 4A one, also verified that it outputs 9,1V so shouldn't be a problem.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #1,991 of 2,910
Quote:
Hard to judge but feels something like 45C (very warm bath), not hot but definitely quite warm. I guess I'll move my amp from the top to make it little more easier.

I asked since I don't have the original PSU, but I got a decend regulated 4A one, also verified that it outputs 9,1V so shouldn't be a problem.

Hmm, mine's sitting right in the open, and apparently the passive cooling is enough to make it barely warm to the touch. I used to have my headphone amp on top of it and I remember this made the Realiser chassis warmer.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #1,992 of 2,910
Quote:

Thats normal, special now in the summer with 30º it can run a bit hot.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,994 of 2,910
I'd be happy to test it and let you know.  I have a few different stat headphones, and no matter what combination I try, I will admit I really do love the HE90's arguably the best.  While you'll of course read about on the forums a couple folks bashing them here and there for what they "add" to the sound, to me they sound very "right" in the mids and highs (not as robust in the LF's as the Stax 009s or 007mk1/2s).  If pure accuracy is the goal, I think the 009's are hard to beat, if musicality and emotion and long sessions is high on the list the HE90's are great go-to's.  I haven't tried them with the Aristaeus yet but will be doing it this weekend and can put the realizer in the chain (my very strong preference like others here is to use HDMI source, like a Mac Mini or BDP93, and a good DAC w Toslink to do the conversion).

Quote:
Has anyone here connected the Realiser to an HE-90?

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #1,995 of 2,910
Thanks silverlight, I'd love to hear your impressions. I just bought me a HE-90/HEV-90 so I'm really curious to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back