Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Apr 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,636 of 2,910

Quote:
I'd like to have experienced Smyth personnel  (or anyone capable) making my PRIR on a good room in NYC, but unfortunately it seems it's not gonna happen

I decided to postpone my Realizer purchase for a while, but when I was looking into it I talked to a NYC dealer (Sensorium AVR) who said he could do the calibration on their "250K showroom system." It seems like a first rate system, though I'm not familiar with the brand of speakers (and I forget what they are now). If Lorr was in town to do calibrations and a group of us could rent a studio, I'd probably go ahead and buy a Realizer and join in as one of my main concerns was getting a calibration in a great room from someone experienced at doing it.

That's interesting they have a full showroom, etc. When I purchased a unit recently I had perused their website and it said so little about their business I assumed there wasn't much to their business. If they have a good system to take measurements I'm sure they'd be willing to support existing owners and course work with prospects.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #1,637 of 2,910

Quote:
I would love to go on a group trip to Gateway, but I don't see it happening. It would have to happen over winter or summer break. Otherwise school occupies all of my time.

I am sure it it out of my price range, but I wonder what it would cost to get some time in Akira Kurosawa Studio at Skywalker Ranch.

Skywalker is in my area.  Let me know if that comes to pass.  I'd join in for sure there !

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,638 of 2,910
I emailed Steinway/Lyndorf, these guys aint going to play ball with there system and the Realiser.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The said we don't allow any audio processors to plug into our speaker systems, lol. Only hope would be to find someone that owns a pair.

Anyhow, I still got my Acapella Excalibur Spharon PRIR, which reminds me, a new PRIR may be on the cards this year. New showroom with acoustics panels. Calibrating the Realiser with $380,700 speakers (5th most expensive speakers in the world) is a bit nerve wrecking, got to be on your game, one slip up and they will surely close off any future calibrations.

P.S. One thing to watch out for, double check you got your mic cable plugged in before running the speaker calibration test, if you don't have it plugged in, you will be in for a shock. I did this at home with my first test speakers, boy does it go loud, something you don't want to do with something like the Excalibur's.
eek.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #1,639 of 2,910

Quote:
I emailed Steinway/Lyndorf, these guys aint going to play ball with there system and the Realiser.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The said we don't allow any audio processors to plug into our speaker systems, lol. Only hope would be to find someone that owns a pair.

Anyhow, I still got my Acapella Excalibur Spharon PRIR, which reminds me, a new PRIR may be on the cards this year. New showroom with acoustics panels. Calibrating the Realiser with $380,700 speakers (5th most expensive speakers in the world) is a bit nerve wrecking, got to be on your game, one slip up and they will surely close off any future calibrations.

P.S. One thing to watch out for, double check you got your mic cable plugged in before running the speaker calibration test, if you don't have it plugged in, you will be in for a shock. I did this at home with my first test speakers, boy does it go loud, something you don't want to do with something like the Excalibur's.
eek.gif

I have easy access to Steinway/lyndorfs (Model D), but they're not in a room with ideal acoustics (candidly they were bought I assume for "show"), the sound was still very nice though. 

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,640 of 2,910

Quote:
I have easy access to Steinway/lyndorfs (Model D), but they're not in a room with ideal acoustics (candidly they were bought I assume for "show"), the sound was still very nice though. 

Don't worry about the acoustic properties of the room, Steinway have there room acoustic equalization processor "Room Perfect". http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/technology-and-innovation/roomperfect

So are you going to get a PRIR?

Your not in Australia are you?

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,641 of 2,910

Quote:
Had an opportunity to stop by Smyth's office in Camarillo today, where I had an opportunity to try out two things I'd not sampled before with the gracious and much appreciated assistance of Lorr (many thanks to him, as always, ... a gentleman and a scholar):

(a) HDMI-enabled Realiser, with Chapter 3 of "House of Flying Daggers" (stones and steel drum sequence) BluRay as the test reference (it's DD5.1, not DTS-HDMA), and

(b) tactile "shaker" chair, same scene

Additional equipment was my own headphone setup that I brought with me (Omega-1, SRM-007tii, and Audio-GD NFB9 DAC feeding through XLR to amp).  And of course I also listened to the same scene through the real loudspeakers in the room, as the "control".

The takeaway:

(1) HDMI-enabled Realiser is DEFINITELY superior to the analog-fed connection method which involves both D-to-A (in player or AVR) and A-to-D (in Realiser) conversions before even starting the digital SVS processing.  In my headphones it seemed to be "clearer", with more precise directional cues as the stones flew all around the room hitting drums and falling to the marble floor.  Same with the "clarity" of the saucer sliced by the sword shattering it into many pieces with them all falling to the floor making that wonderful sound of broken glass hitting a marble floor.

While at Smyth that was my visceral impression, and when I got back home and just to double-check played the same scene on my own Realiser with its analog feed ,I really confirmed for myself what I had already concluded: noticeably superior results are achieved with HDMI-delivered LPCM digital input to the Realiser than via analog.  Is it "huge"? No.  Is it discernible? Very definitely yes.  Is HDMI the clear winner?  Yes.  Is it worth having?  Absolutely.

(2) The "shaker" chair is no substitute for the feeling of room air hitting your body from a sub-woofer.  Does it really enhance the Realiser experience?  I don't really think so, at least that was my subjective opinion.  Is it better than nothing?  Perhaps, but maybe not.  Is it a necessity?  No.  Is it worth lusting after?  Not for me, anyway.

One more comment...

This is actually the first time I'd played that Chapter 3 "reference" clip since acquiring my NFB9 and SRM-007tii, and converting to straight XLR from the DAC to the amp (with no more DBX EQ on an RCA path).  In the past, trying to turn up the volume for this scene on either the Realiser and/or my Yamaha RX-V863 while (a) still not causing input clipping (red light) on the Realiser, and (b) still not causing "protective shutdown" by the Yamaha from output overload has never been successful.  I've just not been able to play it as loud as I wanted.

Well tonight, because of the increased output level on the XLR path from DAC to amp I was able to keep the Yamaha volume at +0, and my standard Realiser volume of -10, the DAC volume at 46 (which is my "standard setting" where I leave it permanently set for everything), and the SRM007 volume at "2 o'clock" which again is my standard setting.  And yet, the sound was stunningly loud and clear, and no clipping or protective shutdown occurred.

So once again, I marvel at the benefits of this external DAC approach with XLR cables to the Stax amp.

So, are you ready to replace your analog Realiser with an HDMI version?

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #1,642 of 2,910

Quote:
So, are you ready to replace your analog Realiser with an HDMI version?

I wouldn't say I'm "on the fence", but I'm certainly now "a believer".

But the HDMI pass-through output is not active when the unit is powered off.  It's only active when the unit is powered on.  However the "analog pass-through" which enables analog inputs to be shunted directly to analog outputs (e.g. to feed my 2.1 external speakers when I want to watch TV but don't want to listen through headphones) requires that the unit be powered off.

This presents a wiring issue if I continue with my existing Yamaha RX-V863 AVR which only has one HDMI output (currently going to the HDTV) while feeding its analog preamp outputs to the analog inputs of the Realiser.  If that AVR is retained then the one HDMI output would have to go to the Realiser, and then the Realiser would have to be powered on to send its HDMI pass-through output to the HDTV.  Thus I would NOT be able to play sound through my external speakers while still watching HDTV via HDMI.

I suppose I could also send component video out from the AVR to the HDTV, and change the video input on the HDTV to component when I wanted to listen through speakers (i.e. with Realiser powered off, to facilitate analog pass-through).  So I'd have HDMI from AVR to Realiser, and also preamp-out for L/R audio which is all I really need to feed the 2.1 speakers.

That's one way to do it, retaining the V863, and only having to spend money to buy a new HDMI Realiser (no headphones required).

Another additional cost approach would be to also upgrade my AVR, say to a V867 or V871, both of which have 2 HDMI outputs (although both also no longer have (a) S-video analog video input/output or (b) analog audio multi-channel input).  This would allow separate HDMI outputs from AVR to (a) HDTV and (b) Realiser.  And it would then allow HDMI video at all times, no matter whether listening through headphones or external 2.1 speakers (again, with L/R preamp out from AVR feeding L/R analog input on the Realiser for that analog pass-through capability with the Realiser powered off).

Then I could "re-purpose" my current V863 along with my current analog Realiser to a second HDTV location, where I've already re-purposed my original SRM-T1S amp and previously unused Lambda Pro headphones.  That would give me TWO Realiser-enabled HDTV locations in the house, which honestly is a really powerful inducement to spend all of this additional money.  In the interests of "rational cost control", no external DAC would be required here!
redface.gif

Believe me... I was just hypothesizing about all this before.  At least now after hearing an HDMI Realiser setup for myself I probably would find it much easier to rationalize myself into spending the money for the "complete upgrade including new AVR", to provide a second Realiser-enabled HDTV location which is the really strong motivation to this whole idea.

Now don't get me started, but a truly IRRATIONAL NO COST-CONTROL plan would also include acquisition of new headphones for the SRM-007tII and HDMI Realiser / external DAC location, either the older SR-007 or new SR-009, and repurposing my beloved original Omega-1 headphones to go live out its golden years with its original partner SRM-T1S amp at the analog Realiser second location.

Hmmm...

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #1,643 of 2,910

Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm "on the fence", but I'm certainly now "a believer".

<snip>

If you think that HDMI Realiser is clear and better than the HDMI analog Realiser, try the HDMI Realiser with the SR-009's. Anybody that has heard my HDMI upgraded Realiser and the SR-009 combo is amazed at the clarity, and that's using my PRIR's.

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,644 of 2,910
I am not sure how you have your system wired, but could you not use the Stereo Down Mix to fix your problem. That is how my system is run.

I have Source (HDMI) > Realiser (S/PDIF Toslink) > DAC > speaker/headphone amp. If you can have your DAC run to both your speaker amp and headphone amp, you are golden. When you want to watch TV with speakers, just push the "Mix" button. You will have to set up the mix and save it, but that's quick and a one time thing.

This method means that you don't have to buy any new equipment, other than the Realiser. That should help rationalize the cost.

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #1,645 of 2,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have Source (HDMI) > Realiser (S/PDIF Toslink) > DAC > speaker/headphone amp. If you can have your DAC run to both your speaker amp and headphone amp, you are golden. When you want to watch TV with speakers, just push the "Mix" button. You will have to set up the mix and save it, but that's quick and a one time thing.

I don't want to listen to my external speakers through the Realiser's SVS-processed output.  Realiser output from either RCA headphone jacks or optical jack is SVS-processed,  So even though the DAC does have RCA output (which could go to the powered speakers), that would be SVS-processed signal, which is not what is appropriate for speakers.

That's why I send "analog bypass" output (from Realiser's L/R analog inputs straight through to Realiser's main L/R RCA outputs) to the speakers, with the Realiser powered off.  I simply want plain 2-channel stereo to the speakers, not SVS-processed 2-channel stereo, and that's what "analog bypass" accomplishes.

Also, my wiring allows both Realiser and DAC to be powered off in this external speaker mode of operation.  The only thing powered on is the source device (e.g. DVR), the AVR, the HDTV and the speakers.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,646 of 2,910

Quote:
This sounds very promising! Would one have any chance with an iPad + HDMI adapter? I believe it also passes audio out, but not sure what format...

Delayed response.... just tried this tonight and works very nicely.  I keep uncompressed WAV files for audio playback on my iPad (usually use with the usb output to a portable Pico Amp/Dac).  It's a great combo if you don't have a Mac Mini with HDMI output.  I tried video and the audio is picked up just fine, but it's 2 channel b/c I encoded a couple BD's with stereo downmix (as specs indicated) - don't know and doubt if a 5.1 PCM output would be an option (using the Realiser HDMI pass-through to a monitor).  But good news is that audio works well.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,647 of 2,910
Hi everyone, I made contact with the good people at Sensorium AV, NYC. These are the available setups for PRIR measurement:

[size=10pt]Stereo[/size]
[size=10pt]--------[/size]
[size=10pt]AMR DAC[/size]
[size=10pt]Absoluta Preamplifier[/size]
[size=10pt]Balanced Audio Technology Monoblock Amplifiers[/size]
[size=10pt]Lansche No. 3 speakers[/size]
[size=10pt]Shunyata power conditioning and cables[/size]

[size=10pt]Home theater[/size]
[size=10pt]----------------[/size]
[size=10pt]14 speaker surround system with 3 subwoofers costing over $30,000[/size]
[size=10pt]Cary Audio sound processor[/size]
[size=10pt]Lumagen video processor[/size]
[size=10pt]Trinnov room correction[/size]
[size=10pt]Amplifiers from Bel Canto and Anthem[/size]

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,648 of 2,910
Just in case anybody's "lurking" on this thread but doesn't actually own a Realiser and would like to experience it firsthand, or simply wants to say hello to Lorr Kramer, well if you're going to be or can make it your business to be near the Champaign IL area on Monday night May 7 from 5PM to 8:30PM Lorr is going to be at Glenn Poor's Audio Video to give a personal demonstration of the Realiser to any and all interested comers.  He'll be using the theater room at Glenn Poor's for the measurements.

And there will be wine, beer and snacks.

I've posted a new "heads up" thread on the forum, so any discussion should proceed on that other thread.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,649 of 2,910
Quote:
Just in case anybody's "lurking" on this thread but doesn't actually own a Realiser and would like to experience it firsthand, or simply wants to say hello to Lorr Kramer, well if you're going to be or can make it your business to be near the Champaign IL area on Monday night May 7 from 5PM to 8:30PM Lorr is going to be at Glenn Poor's Audio Video to give a personal demonstration of the Realiser to any and all interested comers.  He'll be using the theater room at Glenn Poor's for the measurements.

And there will be wine, beer and snacks.

I've posted a new "heads up" thread on the forum, so any discussion should proceed on that other thread.

I'd totally be there if it wasn't for the $DEITY forsaken gas prices...

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #1,650 of 2,910
Quote:
This sounds very promising! Would one have any chance with an iPad + HDMI adapter? I believe it also passes audio out, but not sure what format...

Delayed response.... just tried this tonight and works very nicely.  I keep uncompressed WAV files for audio playback on my iPad (usually use with the usb output to a portable Pico Amp/Dac).  It's a great combo if you don't have a Mac Mini with HDMI output.  I tried video and the audio is picked up just fine, but it's 2 channel b/c I encoded a couple BD's with stereo downmix (as specs indicated) - don't know and doubt if a 5.1 PCM output would be an option (using the Realiser HDMI pass-through to a monitor).  But good news is that audio works well.

Thanks for checking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back