Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Apr 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #1,591 of 2,910
hello everybody,

I'm planning to buy a Realiser soon for watching multi-channel blue discs and dvds, but the problem is I don't have a home theater system
frown.gif

A friend of mine has this AVR (Onkyo TX - NR609) and good speakers, but as I'm not a tech-savvy guy, I can't figure out how should I connect the Realiser to the AVR in order to do the proper measurements to emulate a 5.1 room for my PRIR profile. How am I gonna feed six analogue inputs of Realiser with this AVR? Isn't it possible? Am I missing something? Sorry if this been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere.

Also, I'd like to know if anyone knows some place (studio, audio store) with a excellent sound quality room in New York City that can make PRIR profiles... I don't wanna go to LA just to do that...

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,592 of 2,910
Unless the new Realiser lets you create a PRIR with the HDMI, that receiver won't work. I have never set up my own PRIR so I am not 100% on this next part. You need a receiver with multi channel analog inputs. 

What are you using as a source for your Realiser?

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,593 of 2,910

Quote:
hello everybody,

I'm planning to buy a Realiser soon for watching multi-channel blue discs and dvds, but the problem is I don't have a home theater system
frown.gif

A friend of mine has this AVR (Onkyo TX - NR609) and good speakers, but as I'm not a tech-savvy guy, I can't figure out how should I connect the Realiser to the AVR in order to do the proper measurements to emulate a 5.1 room for my PRIR profile. How am I gonna feed six analogue inputs of Realiser with this AVR? Isn't it possible? Am I missing something? Sorry if this been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere.

Also, I'd like to know if anyone knows some place (studio, audio store) with a excellent sound quality room in New York City that can make PRIR profiles... I don't wanna go to LA just to do that...

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Easy, just use in this case 6 RCA analog audio cables. Plug one end into the corresponding out put plug (R,L,C, LS,RS,Sub) of your Realiser and the other end of the RCA cables into the input corresponding RCA plugs input on the Onkyo. Then run your Realiser's PRIR.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #1,594 of 2,910
I don't believe the Onkyo TX-NR609 AVR has the necessary 8 preamp outputs to feed the 8 analog inputs of the Realiser.  Sorry, but you're going to have to go up a notch in product family.

Or, you might consider the Yamaha RX-V871, which has the required 8 preamp outputs (for feeding the Realiser's 8 analog inputs)  along with 8 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs for maximum digital flexibility.  This AVR would allow you to feed your AVR from your BluRay player (and up to 7 other HDMI digital A/V sources) via HDMI, and then the AVR could feed your HDTV via HDMI for video as well as feeding your new Realiser via HDMI for audio.

EDIT: interestingly, the previous (and no longer available) RX-V863 (which I have) has multi-channel INPUT as well as multi-channel preamp output, to go along with its 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.  So the PRIR calibration of the Realiser could be handled, feeding the 8 main analog outputs of the Realiser to the 8 multi-channel inputs of the V863.

However the newer "flagship" V871 has far fewer analog connection options, although many more digital connection options.  So while it still does have multi-channel preamp output it no longer has multi-channel preamp input.  So the 8 main analog outputs of the Realiser could not be fed through the V871 for PRIR calibration.  Hmmm...

Sounds like in order to feed current "digital mostly" AVR's for PRIR calibration, the Realiser probably needs to facilitate its HDMI "pass-through" output to carry the same sweep signals in digital LPCM form, so that one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR can be used to support PRIR measurements.

Hmmm...

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #1,595 of 2,910

Quote:
Unless the new Realiser lets you create a PRIR with the HDMI, that receiver won't work. I have never set up my own PRIR so I am not 100% on this next part. You need a receiver with multi channel analog inputs.

The PRIR measurements are done FROM the Realiser through external amp and speakers.  The Realiser generates its own output sweep signals that are played through each of the real amp/speakers in the room and heard through the microphones in your ears.  So yes, you need analog connectivity into the AVR for the 8-channel main analog output of the Realiser, in order to then feed each of the speakers in the room.

There isn't any connection TO the Realiser for this calibration, other than from the microphones in your ears.

The true INPUT to the Realiser for playback of actual content (e.g. multi-channel audio from DVD/BD/HDTV, 2-channel audio from CD, etc.) is provided via either (a) 8-discrete channels of analog input (which then requires 8-discrete channels of analog "preamp" output from the AVR or BluRay player, whichever is the source device) or (b) 8-discrete LPCM channels of digital input via HDMI.

The NR609 AVR has no analog 8-discrete channel preamp ouputs, but does have 1 HDMI output (and 6 HDMI inputs).  It also does not have 8-discrete channel inputs, so it could not be fed analog from the main outputs of the Realiser for PRIR measurement. I don't believe that PRIR calibration can be done using the HDMI output of the Realiser, as that is strictly a "pass-through" of the HDMI input and is intended to feed audio/video devices downstream from the Realiser.  PRIR calibration requires connectivity from the 8 main analog outputs of the Realiser, and I don't believe the NR609 can accept that.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #1,596 of 2,910
Thanks for all the replies.

So I'm gonna need a better (more expen$ive) AVR. Unfortunately, that's not an option, as I'm buyig the Realiser exactly because I don't want a home theater.

My only chance is to find some place in NYC to have my PRIR done.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #1,597 of 2,910
You can use a single speaker to create a 7.1 PRIR, so you don't need an AVR.  One way is to move the speaker to each location and measure it.  Another way is to use the "ONE" procedure.  Both methods are explained in the manual.

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #1,599 of 2,910

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

So I'm gonna need a better (more expen$ive) AVR. Unfortunately, that's not an option, as I'm buyig the Realiser exactly because I don't want a home theater.

My only chance is to find some place in NYC to have my PRIR done.

I understand.  ANY AVR that supports HDMI output (and ideally 2 or more, so that one can go to the HDTV and one can go to the Realiser) is perfectly acceptable to FEED ordinary source content to the Realiser.  For playback and listening to content through an existing PRIR, virtually any HDMI-enabled AVR (including the NR609) is perfectly adequate for use with the Realiser.

It is only "discrete mulit-channel analog input" which is required if you want to also be able to use that AVR to do a PRIR measurement "conveniently", which would see the 8-channels main analog outputs of the Realiser going to the 8-channels analog inputs of the AVR.

But if you're not going to ever be using your own AVR for a PRIR measurement, but only for listening playback of new source content THROUGH a PRIR that you had gotten measured at some external sound studio or someone else's home theater, then your own AVR does not need 8-channel analog inputs.

Now though it's a bit inconvenient, it's still possible to rig up the appropriate connections (e.g. using pairs of stereo audio analog outputs from the Realiser, analog stereo input to the AVR, and pairs of speakers out of the AVR), and pausing the PRIR process as you reconnect for the next pair of speakers fed from the next pair of Realiser main outputs) to get the PRIR measurement job done using an AVR (like your NR609 or the Yamaha RX-V871) that doesn't actually have 8-channel analog inputs.  Inconvenient, but possible... if necessary.

NOTE: I've talked with Lorr about the possiblity (now or in the future) about using the HDMI output of the Realiser to feed discrete mulit-channel LPCM to an AVR via HDMI, rather than requiring the main analog outputs, for purposes of this PRIR measurement process.  He says it's impossible because of the electrical design, and not just something that can be corrected or facilitated through a firmware upgrade.  He also notes that in "professional studio environments" where PRIR's are most likely to be made there is almost guaranteed no problem feeding the 8-channel main outputs of the Realiser to the 8-channel inputs of the studio sound system (which really don't use consumer-grade home AVR's).  So there's honestly no real motivation to add HDMI-PRIR capability to the Realiser, especially since "analog workaround" methods are available (including, for example, the ability to create a multi-channel PRIR using even just one single physical speaker!).

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,600 of 2,910
Yeah, I understand the analog inputs are only needed for PRIR, and that I could use alternate methods to get it done through a non compatible AVR. Maybe I'll do myself a PRIR for stereo usage with my humble home system.
triportsad.gif

But for 5.1, 7.1 ch I'd really like to have my PRIR done in excellent room(s). That's the point of the realiser, aint it?
happy_face1.gif

I sent an email to SVS asking about some professional room in NYC where I can make my PRIR. Hope they know something.

Thank you very much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I understand.  ANY AVR that supports HDMI output (and ideally 2 or more, so that one can go to the HDTV and one can go to the Realiser) is perfectly acceptable to FEED ordinary source content to the Realiser.  For playback and listening to content through an existing PRIR, virtually any HDMI-enabled AVR (including the NR609) is perfectly adequate for use with the Realiser.

It is only "discrete mulit-channel analog input" which is required if you want to also be able to use that AVR to do a PRIR measurement "conveniently", which would see the 8-channels main analog outputs of the Realiser going to the 8-channels analog inputs of the AVR.

But if you're not going to ever be using your own AVR for a PRIR measurement, but only for listening playback of new source content THROUGH a PRIR that you had gotten measured at some external sound studio or someone else's home theater, then your own AVR does not need 8-channel analog inputs.

Now though it's a bit inconvenient, it's still possible to rig up the appropriate connections (e.g. using pairs of stereo audio analog outputs from the Realiser, analog stereo input to the AVR, and pairs of speakers out of the AVR), and pausing the PRIR process as you reconnect for the next pair of speakers fed from the next pair of Realiser main outputs) to get the PRIR measurement job done using an AVR (like your NR609 or the Yamaha RX-V871) that doesn't actually have 8-channel analog inputs.  Inconvenient, but possible... if necessary.

NOTE: I've talked with Lorr about the possiblity (now or in the future) about using the HDMI output of the Realiser to feed discrete mulit-channel LPCM to an AVR via HDMI, rather than requiring the main analog outputs, for purposes of this PRIR measurement process.  He says it's impossible because of the electrical design, and not just something that can be corrected or facilitated through a firmware upgrade.  He also notes that in "professional studio environments" where PRIR's are most likely to be made there is almost guaranteed no problem feeding the 8-channel main outputs of the Realiser to the 8-channel inputs of the studio sound system (which really don't use consumer-grade home AVR's).  So there's honestly no real motivation to add HDMI-PRIR capability to the Realiser, especially since "analog workaround" methods are available (including, for example, the ability to create a multi-channel PRIR using even just one single physical speaker!).

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #1,601 of 2,910

Quote:
Yeah, I understand the analog inputs are only needed for PRIR, and that I could use alternate methods to get it done through a non compatible AVR. Maybe I'll do myself a PRIR for stereo usage with my humble home system.
triportsad.gif

But for 5.1, 7.1 ch I'd really like to have my PRIR done in excellent room(s). That's the point of the realiser, aint it?
happy_face1.gif

I sent an email to SVS asking about some professional room in NYC where I can make my PRIR. Hope they know something.

Thank you very much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Let us know what you find out about NY.  NY is a lot closer to me than LA!

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,602 of 2,910
From a quick google search the only surround sound mastering studio I found was Stadium Red. The Vault looks like a nice place to get a stereo recording made. If you don't mind traveling I would talk to Gateway Mastering in Maine. You could also try talking to dealers like Stereo Exchange. That is where I would start.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #1,603 of 2,910
I see that there's a Head-Fi Meet-Up coming up at the legendary recording studio "The Village in L.A.".
See http://www.head-fi.org/t/604418/the-village-headphone-meet-2012-southern-california-sunday-april-22-2012

I wonder if that might be a location for future studio-quality PRIRs?  Hmm.....

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #1,604 of 2,910
From a quick google search the only surround sound mastering studio I found was Stadium Red. The Vault looks like a nice place to get a stereo recording made. If you don't mind traveling I would talk to Gateway Mastering in Maine. You could also try talking to dealers like Stereo Exchange. That is where I would start.

Yeah, I had thought about Gateway. I would also like to fly out to LA and measure at AIX. Hopefully this summer! Funds pending! :D

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #1,605 of 2,910

Quote:
triportsad.gif

happy_face1.gif

Thank you very much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lorr has mentioned that there are a couple good studios in NYC, but one would have to be familiar with how to configure/setup to do their own PRIR's and just rent studio time (prob. not cheap at NYC rates).  I've been sitting on my Realiser for a couple months b/c of this.  Fortunately work is taking me to L.A. this week and am scheduled at AIX with Lorr to do the measurements.  Excited to finally have this set up!  There are a couple good showrooms in NYC, I wonder if they'd let us take measurements after hours for a fee?  If one is a customer I'm sure it could be a possibility.  Lorr also mentioned he sometimes travels to the northeast.  If a few of us catch him on a trip I'm sure we can efficiently get measurements done for a few folks at once, I'd certainly be willing to put up a disproportionate share to get a PRIR done at one of the top NYC studios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back