Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Mar 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,577 of 2,910
I don't think that AppleTV will output multi-channel PCM on HDMI. Not many devices will.

Will it work for streaming my iTunes library in stereo to the realizer?

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,578 of 2,910
Hi folks,
Looking hard to purchasing a realiser but certain technicalities still baffles me.
So is this PRIR a personal thing and will not work as well on another person?
Just say of the sake of experimenting, can someone send you a file (software download vis DVD disk) of an PRIR say done at AIX so that you can hear it on your headphone with the realiser to know what it sounds like ?
To me that will be great because it will go about 'promoting' movie/music enjoyment that would not be made possible because of cost and/or space.
Hope to hear from the gurus here...thanks!

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #1,579 of 2,910

Quote:
Hi folks,
Looking hard to purchasing a realiser but certain technicalities still baffles me.
So is this PRIR a personal thing and will not work as well on another person?

Just say of the sake of experimenting, can someone send you a file (software download vis DVD disk) of an PRIR say done at AIX so that you can hear it on your headphone with the realiser to know what it sounds like?

Yes, it's a personal thing.  Specifically describes how YOU and YOUR EARS AND BRAIN perceive the sound of the listening environment you are measuring.  The PRIR is the digital file that represents what the two calibration microphones "heard" the specific sweep frequencies to sound like from each speaker in the room, when they were inserted into your ears while you were sitting in a chair at a specific location in that listening environment.

There's no real way this PRIR can actually be "perfectly usable" for another person, in the same your prescription eyeglasses are theoretically unusable for another person.  Can you use somebody else's eyeglasses?  Well maybe if you squint your eyes and/or turn or raise/lower your head or something, they might be semi-usable.  But in all likelihood they'll be worthless, or negative in their effect.

So, even though it's not "perfectly usable", is it even "kind of usable"?  Maybe... but don't have any false expectations that a PRIR from someone else can be used as a "generic" PRIR, and that you will really get a good introduction to what the Realiser does or can do. This is not Dolby Headphone, which is designed to be generic.  The PRIR is MEANT to be personal and specific, and a digital description of a particular listening environment to a particular person's hearing system.

As for the second question, yes, it's just a digital file.  Obviously it can be emailed to you (a PRIR is about 3MB) and then you can use it on your own Realiser.

But my own experience trying to use someone else's PRIR (specifically to see how good or bad it might sound) was that it was UNUSABLE.  I would describe my own particular experience as "the room seemed tilted and out-of-alignment", as if I'd twisted my head sonically.

Obviously YMMV.

EDIT: my earlier post had a typo.  The PRIR is actually 3MB, not 3GB (need more sleep!!).  Sorry for the mistake.

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,580 of 2,910

Quote:
Yes, it's a personal thing.  Specifically describes how YOU and YOUR EARS AND BRAIN perceive the sound of the listening environment you are measuring.  The PRIR is the digital file that represents what the two calibration microphones "heard" the specific sweep frequencies to sound like from each speaker in the room, when they were inserted into your ears while you were sitting in a chair at a specific location in that listening environment.

There's no real way this PRIR can actually be "perfectly usable" for another person, in the same your prescription eyeglasses are theoretically unusable for another person.  Can you use somebody else's eyeglasses?  Well maybe if you squint your eyes and/or turn or raise/lower your head or something, they might be semi-usable.  But in all likelihood they'll be worthless, or negative in their effect.

So, even though it's not "perfectly usable", is it even "kind of usable"?  Maybe... but don't have any false expectations that a PRIR from someone else can be used as a "generic" PRIR, and that you will really get a good introduction to what the Realiser does or can do. This is not Dolby Headphone, which is designed to be generic.  The PRIR is MEANT to be personal and specific, and a digital description of a particular listening environment to a particular person's hearing system.

As for the second question, yes, it's just a digital file.  Obviously it can be emailed to you (a PRIR is about 3MB) and then you can use it on your own Realiser.

But my own experience trying to use someone else's PRIR (specifically to see how good or bad it might sound) was that it was UNUSABLE.  I would describe my own particular experience as "the room seemed tilted and out-of-alignment", as if I'd twisted my head sonically.

Obviously YMMV.

EDIT: my earlier post had a typo.  The PRIR is actually 3MB, not 3GB (need more sleep!!).  Sorry for the mistake.

Thank you for the explanation. This certainly helps me to understand more about the usability of this device. That being the case, PRIR is "personal", if my present home theater is not top notch as in the speakers and amplifiers, should I be looking for a  better set-up to do this PRIR thing or it is still OK to do this using my system? My headphones are HE6 and LCD2.

On further reading at the AV Forum, I think I found the answer.... thanks again dsperber...

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,581 of 2,910

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation. This certainly helps me to understand more about the usability of this device. That being the case, PRIR is "personal", if my present home theater is not top notch as in the speakers and amplifiers, should I be looking for a  better set-up to do this PRIR thing or it is still OK to do this using my system? My headphones are HE6 and LCD2.

Again, once created the PRIR is simply a "digital playback filter" which allows you to reproduce through high-quality headphones the same sound you would have heard in the original listening environment, had you sat in that same seat and played the content through the real loudspeakers and electronics that you're currently playing through the Realiser, PRIR and headphones.  The objective for the Realiser/PRIR is to "duplicate" that sound... however good or bad it is.

So, if you use your own home system as a prototype for experimenting, you should be able to do an A/B-comparison (right after performing the PRIR measurement process) taking the headphones off of your head and rotating them forward 90 degrees (the head tracker and Realiser will then mute the headphones and deliver sound to the speakers), then rotating them back 90 degrees so they are upgright again and placing them on your head (the head tracker and Realiser will then mute the speakers and deliver sound to the headphones).  You should be able to "smile" and say "I can't believe it".

You can also "solo" each speaker while playing back the test music WAV from the Realiser and do the same A/B-test, to ensure that you're getting the proper virtual cues in your ears and brain that convince you the "virtual speakers" (delivered through the headphones) are located where the real loudspeakers are in the room.  Again, the A/B-test should make you "smile" with wonderment.

Doesn't matter whether your home system is top-notch or not.  The job of the Realiser and PRIR measurement process is to "duplicate" that sound, whatever it is.

Having taken that initial experiment all in, if you then arrange for a visit to a truly high-end wonderful studio room that none of us could ever afford, and you come away with a PRIR (or two, as you should plan to get both a 5.1 and 7.1 PRIR made, if not also a special 2.0 PRIR for CD audio if available and if time and cost permits) from that studio, well now you'll be able to watch TV of a movie in your bedroom with your headphones on and listen to sound as if you were watching that movie in that sound studio room.

That's what this is all about.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #1,582 of 2,910

Quote:

On further reading at the AV Forum, I think I found the answer.... thanks again dsperber...

Quote:
Again, once created the PRIR is simply a "digital playback filter" which allows you to reproduce through high-quality headphones the same sound you would have heard in the original listening environment, had you sat in that same seat and played the content through the real loudspeakers and electronics that you're currently playing through the Realiser, PRIR and headphones.  The objective for the Realiser/PRIR is to "duplicate" that sound... however good or bad it is.

So, if you use your own home system as a prototype for experimenting, you should be able to do an A/B-comparison (right after performing the PRIR measurement process) taking the headphones off of your head and rotating them forward 90 degrees (the head tracker and Realiser will then mute the headphones and deliver sound to the speakers), then rotating them back 90 degrees so they are upgright again and placing them on your head (the head tracker and Realiser will then mute the speakers and deliver sound to the headphones).  You should be able to "smile" and say "I can't believe it".

You can also "solo" each speaker while playing back the test music WAV from the Realiser and do the same A/B-test, to ensure that you're getting the proper virtual cues in your ears and brain that convince you the "virtual speakers" (delivered through the headphones) are located where the real loudspeakers are in the room.  Again, the A/B-test should make you "smile" with wonderment.

Doesn't matter whether your home system is top-notch or not.  The job of the Realiser and PRIR measurement process is to "duplicate" that sound, whatever it is.

Having taken that initial experiment all in, if you then arrange for a visit to a truly high-end wonderful studio room that none of us could ever afford, and you come away with a PRIR (or two, as you should plan to get both a 5.1 and 7.1 PRIR made, if not also a special 2.0 PRIR for CD audio if available and if time and cost permits) from that studio, well now you'll be able to watch TV of a movie in your bedroom with your headphones on and listen to sound as if you were watching that movie in that sound studio room.

That's what this is all about.

Thanks... really appreciated your help. Have a nice day!

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #1,584 of 2,910

Quote:
Is there a way to feed 2-channel digital audio (from a PC) into the Realiser?  Is there some sort of USB to SPIDF convertor that offers an HDMI output that is compatible with the Realiser?

Going to try this at some point next couple nights with a Mac Mini that has an HDMI output.  I've looked around and havent found an HDMI adapter...

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #1,585 of 2,910

Quote:
I've looked around and havent found an HDMI adapter..

For the Mac Mini port? Look for a Display Port to HDMI adapter. Monoprice has them. I bought mine directly from Apple.

Quote:
Is there some sort of USB to SPIDF convertor that offers an HDMI output that is compatible with the Realiser

Your best bet is the HDMI output from your Mac. One never know with HDMI, but it should work as the Mac will output PCM on it (though I don't yet own a Realiser, so I can't try).

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #1,586 of 2,910

Quote:

For the Mac Mini port? Look for a Display Port to HDMI adapter. Monoprice has them. I bought mine directly from Apple.

Your best bet is the HDMI output from your Mac. One never know with HDMI, but it should work as the Mac will output PCM on it (though I don't yet own a Realiser, so I can't try).

Just tried experimenting and have the Mac Mini 2011 up and running with the Realiser's HDMI input with 2 channel music using iTunes.  Using Toslink optical output to a PWD2 DAC out to headphone amp.  So can confirm it works :)  I still need to get the PRIR and my headphone setups done....  will hold off on SQ observations until then.  Apples to apples (pardon the pun), the SQ has taken a very meaningful jump vs out of the box using analog.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #1,587 of 2,910
I have the 2010 Mini. I run the HDMI out to the Realiser. That configuration works just fine. Under Audio MIDI Setuo I set HDMI to output 8ch-24bit integer because I use the Mini as a media center for movies as well.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #1,589 of 2,910
How good is the SVS Realiser at creating a 3 way speaker image with 2 channel audio?
Can it create good center channel with a 2 channel feed? I guess not.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #1,590 of 2,910
I had a problem with my "one speaker measurement"

When I use "one" real speaker to make 7.1, according to the manul , I set up "speack mode menu" insert mic, run "CAL" everything is Ok, then I press "SPK"
there is no "report only 1(L ) as ON" but direct jump to

SINGLE SPEAKER MODE
POSITION HEAD
AND PRESS OK

than I did for every angle measurement, 1 sweep for each angle, right? after 12 times, problem appears, the "diagnostic screens" only have 2 lines, means only 4 channel was sucessful set up, when I save the PRIR to the p2, when I press p2, only C L D have sounds, but the sound seems mixed up, I press C button, the sound is come from left, when I press L button, the sound is come from the back, it seems all messed up, LS RS LB RB do not have sound at all, but the LED light is on, it seems ok.

I have set up for a pair of speaker by LR mode for 5.1 7.1 sucessfully, please help us to find the possible problem for "one speaker measurement"

1, did I mixed channel in some way? It seems I didn't change any set up

2, is it the problem of the firmware updating?

3, any set up was wrong in "EXCITATION MENU "? what type of sweep i need use? or it is not relevent?

Does anyone may know what the possible problem is?

Really appreciate that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back