Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Nov 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #1,276 of 2,910
Anyone here can say how powerful the amp is on the realiser (new HDMI model), Lorr was saying it could drive any headphone considerably well.

Edit:

Finally I am ordering the A8 Realiser this Friday, I'm so excited. Can't wait to calibrate it with the Steinways.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #1,277 of 2,910

Quote:
So you only use the LCD-3 with Realiser?

No I also tried the stock LCD-3 for some not very good 2Ch audio bypassing the Realiser, but without the Realiser the audio was not good at all. I also tried the LCD-3 bypassing the Realiser after doing purrin's TP mod, and yes that mod seemed to help.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,278 of 2,910

Quote:
Anyone here can say how powerful the amp is on the realiser (new HDMI model), Lorr was saying it could drive any headphone considerably well.

Edit:

Finally I am ordering the A8 Realiser this Friday, I'm so excited. Can't wait to calibrate it with the Steinways.

Yes I have tried using the 1/4" headphone jack on my Realiser before I had the HDMI upgrade. I use my HD-800's and yes the Realiser did a nice job.

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #1,281 of 2,910
Not sure about how good the A8 could drive the HE6 but it's quite amazing how my HD800 sounded simulating my car's sound system, which has a very powerful subwoofer, I never thought the HD800 is capable of producing that kind of sub-bass!

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #1,283 of 2,910
According to the manual, it can only take SD cards smaller than 2G formatted as FAT16. I bought a 2G SD card last week and it worked fine right away. Yes, I was able to transfer all the PRIR datas to and from the SD card via a card reader connected to my Mac.

Quote:
What size SD card do they take? Can you record your PRIR's onto the inbuilt HDD then transfer them to your computer for safe keeping?

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,284 of 2,910
Yay I ordered today 
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,285 of 2,910
Hi there,

Any advice of a good DAC I can use with the Realiser from the optical out ?
Of course, a better one than the one inside.

Thanks
o2smile.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #1,286 of 2,910
imo, I don't think if you are running RCA cables (analog) to your Realiser and then adding one more DAC to your chain is all that helpful.

Anyway I like my W4S DAC with the upgraded cap's, and I did find some Toslinks are better than others.

Keep in mind that I run a HDMI cable (high speed) out of port two (port 1 is for video only) on my Oppo to my Realiser and then out via a Toslink to my DAC. This way imo I use a better DAC and only do one D/A conversion. I don't use the HDMI out of the Realiser for video.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,287 of 2,910

Quote:
Could you try the headphone out on the realiser with the HE6 please, I would like to know if the A8 amp has the grunt to take on the HE6's.

Well this is a big surprise. I tried my Realiser's 1/4" headphone jack with my HE6's, and I am impressed. So my answer to your great question is yes there is plenty of the "grunt" to handle the HE6's.
I was viewing The Fifth Element Blu Ray with True HD 5.1 using a HDMI line out from my Oppo to the HDMI line in of the Realiser, my Realiser is set to HDMI and digital.
I will report back on whether or not these impressions hold up after a few days.
<snip>
btw, I was using my PRIR from AIX.

Edited:

Please see link. http://www.head-fi.org/t/418401/long-awaited-smyth-svs-realiser-now-available-for-purchase/1290#post_7947462

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #1,288 of 2,910
Cool, thanks SillySally, please report back with more on the HE6's. Do you have the Fostex T50RP (modded), would be interested to know how they compare to the HE6's on the Realiser (without a second amp)

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #1,289 of 2,910
Just in passing, if there's any one thing which is MOST significant in how thing's "sound" played back through the Realiser, my own feeling is that it is the PRIR measurement itself.  This is the "sonic photograph" of the captured room's listening environment, and it will be far and away what you will really hear through your heaphones/amp.

Sure, the quality of the headphones/amp clearly make a big difference too.  But my own feeling is that the A/D/A conversions in the Realiser vs. using digital input and digital output-to-DAC is not really going to make as much of a difference as you might "fear".  Now to be honest, I've not heard my familiar AIX PRIR utilized with digital input/output, as I'm using analog input/output... so maybe I'm not really justified in expressing this opinion.

But what I CAN say for absolute sure is that of all the various PRIR's I've collected so far, NONE sounds as good as the AIX 5.1 and 7.1 PRIR.  Period.  They're all different, but all except the AIX PRIR produces an "echo", as if I'm sitting in a "listening cavity".  I'm probably hearing some delay between front and rear speakers in all of those other "rooms" that got picked up and measured by the microphones, which for some reason did NOT occur in the AIX room.  I suspect it might be that the AIX room is absolutely superb in its baffling, and that this room is truly "dead".

But as a result, the AIX PRIR for me is ABSOLUTE PERFECTION of listening.  There is zero echo.  The sound is intimate and close-up and the B&W speakers are "pure" and clean, with the front speakers clearly in front of me and all the other speakers clearly arrayed around me.  I don't know if there was something truly unusual that occurred during my AIX measurement (which, ironically, was also my very first ever PRIR measurement and the first one "administered by Lorr" and offered by AIX...and it turns out is actually the ONLY PRIR I EVER LISTEN THROUGH, for everything!) that makes it so unique for me, but I don't really enjoy listening to any other "room".  I'm completely spoiled by the AIX experience, which actually for me is my total Realiser experience.

So... I come back again to what I feel would probably be a relatively minor and subtle (but probably noticeable) difference when using digital input/output instead of analog input/output, and whether or not one amp or another is used.

But based on my own experience I would assert that FAR MORE SIGNIFICANT to what a Realiser experience sounds like is the listening room captured by the PRIR you listen through, which will determine whether or not you actually ever listen to any of your collected PRIR's or just settle in on one for pretty much everything... because you really really enjoy it.  That's how I feel about my AIX PRIR.

Now, I'm hoping to acquire a new Stax SRM-007tII headphone amp shortly, as an addition (or replacement) to my 1993-vintage SRM-T1S.  I will be very interested to see if there is any noticeable difference in Realiser-produced sound (after creating a new HPEQ) using the new driver, or whether it will still sound like the same AIX "room".  I fully expect the new amp to "sound better" in a non-Realiser mode (e.g. listening to audio CDs), but I'm very curious to to see how the AIX "room" sounds when the Realiser PRIR+HPEQ is involved.:

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #1,290 of 2,910
But what I CAN say for absolute sure is that of all the various PRIR's I've collected so far, NONE sounds as good as the AIX 5.1 and 7.1 PRIR.  Period.  They're all different, but all except the AIX PRIR produces an "echo", as if I'm sitting in a "listening cavity".  I'm probably hearing some delay between front and rear speakers in all of those other "rooms" that got picked up and measured by the microphones, which for some reason did NOT occur in the AIX room.  I suspect it might be that the AIX room is absolutely superb in its baffling, and that this room is truly "dead".

I have TruBrew's PRIR from AIX, how do you think it will fair to use someone else's PRIR, I dont' live in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back