Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jan 9, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #2,761 of 2,910
As I posted before, anyone who owns some SE535s is welcome to try my SE535 HPEQ file and judge for themselves. :)

However:

- It is not straightforward to create HPEQ files using Blu-Tac. You need to do it carefully and may need several tries. I created several different HPEQ files with Blu-Tac (with a slightly different seal each time) and compared them to each other to judge which one was the best. I played the front speaker only, as that is the most difficult to 'virtualise' in my experience, and picked the HPEQ file which sounded the most 'outside my head.'

- Any HPEQ file created without Blu-Tac (or some other way of creating a seal) is useless, in my experience.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #2,762 of 2,910
I have a question regarding the HPEQ-optimisation. In the manual it says at first:

For this compensation, the Realiser generates a filter which is the inverse of the measured response.
However, a complete inversion may be neither possible nor advisable, if, for example, there are anomalies that are large and the compensating inversions would cause overload or signal-to-noise issues.
Therefore the Realiser typically compresses the inversion.

and a little bit later it states

denoting a full inversion of the
measured response.

So does this setting mean the device let me do a "neither possible nor advisable" inversion or is it related to the maximum compression of the measured response? So if I set the inversion to 1 it would apply the maximum inversion which is possible without having issues regarding overload or signal-to-noise issues or it would ignore this issues and there may be some degrade in sound quality of the measured PRIR and possible overload/distortion problems?

My problem is that i have new super comfortable headphones, but the combination of the prir and headphone characteristics give me some shrillness on hot recordings. So i try to improve the treble response with different inversion settings. Is this the right way?

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #2,763 of 2,910
Just try what sounds best. Nobody else than Smyth knows how _exactly_ the inversion works.

Read the previous comments:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/418401/long-awaited-smyth-svs-realiser-now-available-for-purchase/2700#post_10815401

It's clear HPEQ is not perfect, HD800 6khz peak makes it go crazy unless you lower the middle value.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #2,764 of 2,910
Anyone using a tactile transducer with their Realiser /w success? I wanted to get some tips on configuration settings. I’m trying to understand the difference/relationship between Direct Bass, LFE redirection, bass management, HP MIX, MIX to HP, etc. After reading the manual a few times, these concepts are starting to blur for me.

Without a transducer I use Direct LFE (MIX TO HP: Yes, HP MIX: 0, plus Managed bass).

Not sure if these settings should be adjusted after introducing an transducer, e.g. If HP MIX should be used instead of mix blocks.

As is, something feels off with the rumbles (or maybe this is what it’s like), either too little or not natural.

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #2,765 of 2,910
  Anyone using a tactile transducer with their Realiser /w success? I wanted to get some tips on configuration settings. I’m trying to understand the difference/relationship between Direct Bass, LFE redirection, bass management, HP MIX, MIX to HP, etc. After reading the manual a few times, these concepts are starting to blur for me.

Without a transducer I use Direct LFE (MIX TO HP: Yes, HP MIX: 0, plus Managed bass).

Not sure if these settings should be adjusted after introducing an transducer, e.g. If HP MIX should be used instead of mix blocks.

As is, something feels off with the rumbles (or maybe this is what it’s like), either too little or not natural.

I'm also very interested.

I'm looking for something to improve that bass sensation, silently.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #2,766 of 2,910
Heard the Realiser at CanJam.  I was blown away.  I really hope they manage to trickle this tech down into a more affordable model soon!

(Impressions in the link in my sig.)

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,767 of 2,910

I use the Realiser with two Buttkickers mounted to a riser. I simply set the HP MIX to 1.0 and turn off the crossover in both the Realiser and the Buttkicker amp. The tactile transducers naturally top out at about 200HZ so it's fine. I find it's better to send the full bandwidth to each channel as long as the speakers you've recorded were all full range. With these settings it mirrors the natural "kick" of speakers about 90%. Pretty amazing. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #2,768 of 2,910
I use my Smyth A8 mostly for watching movies, I do not have a PRIR measured for my ear for a multi-channel setup (I plan to do that in the short future). I have a stereo PRIR calibrated for my ear that I use for listening to music, though I have to confess, I prefer the intimate presentation and speed of my LCD-3s when heard directly, for music.

I would very much like to have a portable setup that would allow me to capture PRIRs and run it from a laptop without having to take Smyth, LCD-3s with me when I travel. I have a fair bit of experience tinkering with HRTFs and plugins to do multi-channel convolution, however HRTF databases pale in comparison to PRIRs. My question is:
1) Is there a way for me to play a sweep through Smyth A8 to get the impulse response for each channel (I think this is possible, but not sure if any one has tried this and if there are any issues/downside to it)?
2) Is there a way for me to measure a headphone through the A8's microphones? This would be very nice if it can be done as it would let me have a better control of HPEQ.

This is my first post on Head-fi, so please go easy, and direct me to the right thread if this is the wrong one to post on this topic.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #2,769 of 2,910
  I use my Smyth A8 mostly for watching movies, I do not have a PRIR measured for my ear for a multi-channel setup (I plan to do that in the short future). I have a stereo PRIR calibrated for my ear that I use for listening to music, though I have to confess, I prefer the intimate presentation and speed of my LCD-3s when heard directly, for music.

I would very much like to have a portable setup that would allow me to capture PRIRs and run it from a laptop without having to take Smyth, LCD-3s with me when I travel. I have a fair bit of experience tinkering with HRTFs and plugins to do multi-channel convolution, however HRTF databases pale in comparison to PRIRs. My question is:
1) Is there a way for me to play a sweep through Smyth A8 to get the impulse response for each channel (I think this is possible, but not sure if any one has tried this and if there are any issues/downside to it)?
2) Is there a way for me to measure a headphone through the A8's microphones? This would be very nice if it can be done as it would let me have a better control of HPEQ.

This is my first post on Head-fi, so please go easy, and direct me to the right thread if this is the wrong one to post on this topic.

1) Yes there already exists VST chain to play back everything on PC only. You can find the instructions somewhere in our dropbox archives: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wipepbk9pbcpyeu/4O-sO6ivtM   (read the prir thread for some more infos, and search this thread for "vst" etc)

2) Yes I posted some info not long ago in this thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/418401/long-awaited-smyth-svs-realiser-now-available-for-purchase/2580#post_10252001

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #2,771 of 2,910

1) Yes there already exists VST chain to play back everything on PC only. You can find the instructions somewhere in our dropbox archives: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wipepbk9pbcpyeu/4O-sO6ivtM   (read the prir thread for some more infos, and search this thread for "vst" etc)

2) Yes I posted some info not long ago in this thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/418401/long-awaited-smyth-svs-realiser-now-available-for-purchase/2580#post_10252001

Thanks much. Exactly what I needed.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #2,772 of 2,910
  I assume this is better than VST plugins such as 4Front Headphones, Redline Monitor and beyerdynamicVS?

I have not used these specific plugins before, I assume they do not involve measuring for your ear. With Smyth + LCD-3s, the personalized measurements I made for a pair of a reference speakers was very close the actual speakers. I think it would be very hard to achieve similar simulation with crossfeeds and/or generic HRTFs. This is why I am trying to capture the PRIRs of Smyth Realiser and play them through VST plugins such as convolverVST for a more portable setup.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #2,773 of 2,910
FYI:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-socal-2015-thats-wrap

1. Smyth Research - Was displaying a mock-up of a new headphone audio virtualization system they intend to launch with a Kickstarter campaign sometime later in the year. Their Realizer is one of the few systems I've heard that can actually get sound to appear to come from outside your head, if they can lower the cost of that trick I can see folks pretty happy about this gadget.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #2,774 of 2,910
I am very interested in this Smyth Realiser, but since I have a TOL system already (ARM DP-777 DAC + EC 445 Tube Amp), I have 2 concern:

- Do I have to use the DAC (and Amp) inside the Smyth Realiser instead of my beloved TOL system, or can I bypass them ? 

- Since I do not have a speaker system at home, is there a possibility to use "pre-recorded" configuration without having to do all the "calibration" ourself in a special reference speaker system ?

Also, I heard about a new version prototype displayed at CanJAM 2015.   Any news about it ? 

thanks

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,775 of 2,910
  I am very interested in this Smyth Realiser, but since I have a TOL system already (ARM DP-777 DAC + EC 445 Tube Amp), I have 2 concern:

- Do I have to use the DAC (and Amp) inside the Smyth Realiser instead of my beloved TOL system, or can I bypass them ? 

- Since I do not have a speaker system at home, is there a possibility to use "pre-recorded" configuration without having to do all the "calibration" ourself in a special reference speaker system ?

You don't have to use the DAC/amp in the Realiser and the analog headphone outputs. You can instead use the alternative optical/digital output of the SVS processing to feed your own DAC.

You don't produce a PRIR (i.e. measurement of sound in ANY environment as hear by your own ears) in a special reference speaker setup. And ideally, you don't use any pre-created PRIR (since there is no such thing as a "general purpose PRIR") nor do you use anybody else's PRIR for any particular environment since that was THEIR personally customized PRIR (e.g. their own prescription eyeglasses but for their ears, which you also wouldn't normally use if you had a choice).

A PRIR is essentially a "sonic photograph" of ANY speaker setup from your own ears, taking into account all of the other factors going into how your own ears hear sound in that listening environment... carpeting, wall baffles, ceiling coverings, speakers, electronics, seat placement relative to the speakers, echos/reverb of the room shape, etc.  However your own ears and brain heard the sound in that setup, THAT is what the PRIR reflects... good or bad.

The purpose of creating the unique PRIR for each unique listening environment (whatever makes it up) and YOUR OWN EARS is so that when used in the "reverse playback direction" through the Realiser and your headphones/amp/DAC (i.e. for listening to anything through that PRIR in your home with your headphones on), it is ideally supposed to DUPLICATE TO YOU the sound of the original listening environment (however good or bad it was) so that TO YOU it sounds essentially identical to how that same sound source would have sounded to your own ears had you actually been hearing this new sound program in the original listening environment.

So, if you have access to a really superb outstanding listening environment (be it 2-channel stereo or multi-channel), if you can get a PRIR measurement taken in that environment, well you're very lucky and will no doubt enjoy it when used to listen to new sound program content through that PRIR back in your home via your headphone setup.  And it also stands to reason that the better the headphone setup's ability to produce high-quality sound to your hearing system, the better will be the duplication of the original listening environment through the PRIR you made.  But that's the goal... to most accurately duplicate the sound of the original listening environment, however good or bad it was.

If you just want to reproduce the sound of your home theater, but in your bedroom through headphones, the PRIR measurement will do that as well.  That's its purpose, to facilitate duplicating the sound of the originally measured listening environment as it sounds to your own ears, for any new content, through headphones.

And that's also why you also need to take one additional measurement called HPEQ, to describe how your own headphone equipment setup sounds to your own ears.  It's a very important additional "sonic photograph" of the unique sound of the headphones, no matter what the source, to your own ears.  Again, use of the HPEQ (which describes the listening headphones to your own ears) by the Realiser in conjunction with a given PRIR (which describes the original listening environment being attempted to duplicate to your own ears), the bottom line objective is to duplicate as closely as possible whatever was the sound of the original listening environment as it would have sounded to your own ears had you been listing to this new content in that original room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back