Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Dec 1, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #2,731 of 2,910
dsperber,

I was one of the guys with you at AIX back then :) Much better results can be had with the ONE measurement technique if it wouldn't be broken. I wish they would fix it but apparently Smyth is busy doing other things, they don't respond to emails anymore. Packing up my Realiser, it will go into storage :frowning2:

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,732 of 2,910
I wonder whether some are understating what Smyth has accomplished. There is a large gap between the theory and implementation here; it isn't the novelty of the prior that would be licensed. Also, not everyone wants a computer platform for a variety of reasons. I don't feel that Smyth was ever targeting the $500 generic emulation market, nor would I personally want them to. 

I recently exchanged emails with Lorr to do some measurements, and got a timely response. It is unfortunate that some issues continue, but I don't consider them a game changer.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #2,733 of 2,910
  I wonder whether some are understating what Smyth has accomplished. There is a large gap between the theory and implementation here; it isn't the novelty of the prior that would be licensed. Also, not everyone wants a computer platform for a variety of reasons. I don't feel that Smyth was ever targeting the $500 generic emulation market, nor would I personally want them to.

What you do suggest they could license then? Let's keep the discussion going and thread in headlights.. 
wink.gif

I'm the last one to understate anything, after all they are the first and only to make the technology actually available! Packaging my Realiser in storage.. umm no, I'm happy enough with it as is, even though there would be plenty to improve..

The fact remains that the theory behind everything is quite simple. If Smyth doesn't have the will or resources to come up with software solution, then perhaps someone else will as we've seen. Software/computer combo would be much more upgradeable and manageable than an expensive $3000 box with awkward connectivity etc.

But unless someone has the knowhow himself or willing partners, the financials of just "hiring someone to develop stuff" might be way too deep in niche stuff like this. Darin has a good head start, let's hope he can finish it too and not be stuck with random developers etc..

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #2,734 of 2,910

What you do suggest they could license then? Let's keep the discussion going and thread in headlights.. 
wink.gif

I'm the last one to understate anything, after all they are the first and only to make the technology actually available! Packaging my Realiser in storage.. umm no, I'm happy enough with it as is, even though there would be plenty to improve..

The fact remains that the theory behind everything is quite simple. If Smyth doesn't have the will or resources to come up with software solution, then perhaps someone else will as we've seen. Software/computer combo would be much more upgradeable and manageable than an expensive $3000 box with awkward connectivity etc.

But unless someone has the knowhow himself or willing partners, the financials of just "hiring someone to develop stuff" might be way too deep in niche stuff like this. Darin has a good head start, let's hope he can finish it too and not be stuck with random developers etc..

I am not sure what could be licensed, I am not familiar enough with the technology. I have worked on equalization of wireless channels, but that is of course different. Just pointing out that there is a large gap between an equation or algorithm and a working implementation.

A software/computer combo has the advantages you mention, but there are some issues with multichannel (e.g. SACD, although there are awkward workarounds), and also requires maintaining the software as the OS evolves. $3000 actually seems quite reasonable for the technology in my view.

I hope that Smyth and the Realiser stick around, and provide some useful updates. I don't want a generic solution knowing what can be achieved with personalized measurements. Darin's current product has value to me as a way of making the Realiser portable, and not as a substitute.  

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #2,735 of 2,910
Quote:
  A software/computer combo has the advantages you mention, but there are some issues with multichannel (e.g. SACD, although there are awkward workarounds), and also requires maintaining the software as the OS evolves.

Well.. I'm pretty sure software is somewhat easier to maintain than some custom chip stuff with all those limitations.. no way to get more processing power etc. Of course then there's the people who "have to" use MAC or Linux which complicates things..

By the way have you read this thread at all? It's full of people trying to play back multichannel from an external box not supporting full PCM output. 
biggrin.gif
 Does anyone even use physical media these days, not me.. but Blu-Ray drives are easily available anyway.

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #2,736 of 2,910
After a lot of experimentation I have reached my perfect Smyth setup

Realiser>RTW Districon> BHSE>Stax 4070
plus tactile support with subpac s1

The Stax 4070 is imho the ideal Headphone for the Realiser. It is so neutral that I dont need to do the headphone linearisation. That leads to a better more pinpointed imaging than even with the SR-009. The resolution is also higher than the current flagship and the >20dB sound isolation help to enhance the reality of the experience. It is a shame Stax stopped to produce these and they are so rare.

The least important link is the external Dac and I am thinking about removing it even it is a German Statesponsored Radio (ARD) reference.

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #2,737 of 2,910
After a lot of experimentation I have reached my perfect Smyth setup

Realiser>RTW Districon> BHSE>Stax 4070
plus tactile support with subpac s1

The Stax 4070 is imho the ideal Headphone for the Realiser. It is so neutral that I dont need to do the headphone linearisation. That leads to a better more pinpointed imaging than even with the SR-009. The resolution is also higher than the current flagship and the >20dB sound isolation help to enhance the reality of the experience. It is a shame Stax stopped to produce these and they are so rare.

The least important link is the external Dac and I am thinking about removing it even it is a German Statesponsored Radio (ARD) reference.

Have you tried HD800? I use those with Buttkickers mounted to a riser. It's amazing. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #2,738 of 2,910
Have you tried HD800? I use those with Buttkickers mounted to a riser. It's amazing. 

Yes I Have and AKG K812 and Denon D7000 and HD650 and LCD2 and HE500 and HE-6 and nearly any Stax (my second favourite Stax SR-009)Electrostats have a better accuracy than the HD800. i would orefer even a humble 207 to any Dynamic headphone with the Realiser.

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #2,740 of 2,910
Yes I Have and AKG K812 and Denon D7000 and HD650 and LCD2 and HE500 and HE-6 and nearly any Stax (my second favourite Stax SR-009)Electrostats have a better accuracy than the HD800. i would orefer even a humble 207 to any Dynamic headphone with the Realiser.

Credibility check: marked :wink:

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,741 of 2,910
I also use the Realiser to built my personal virtual headphone library. Any can I have owned or borrowed is stored in it. And the convenience of the fast switching between them with the Realiser makes headphone comparision much easier, because the exact sound memory is quite short.

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #2,742 of 2,910
 i would orefer even a humble 207 to any Dynamic headphone with the Realiser.

What kind of music/movie are you listening at ?

I'm asking, because, I've had those 207 (the SRS-2170 system) for over a week, and I haven't been so impressed.

I know Smyth was selling their Realiser with Stax, at least in the US, I guess it wasn't for nothing. 
I might have miss something, but can't figured what.

To me, the 207, apart from being fully open (which is a concern for my use of the Realiser), they had a lack of details, weren't able to go as low as my main headphones cans (Denon D7000), and were not able to endure high level with the same clarity as the D7000 (and as my Alpha Dog)

I haven't kept the Stax, for the reasons above, and because I could not use them for anything else, as they need the Stax amp.

But I'm having the feeling that I've missed something.

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #2,743 of 2,910
My theory is the extrem low distortion of the Stax brings a better Realiser experience.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #2,744 of 2,910
I'm pretty sure HD800 have extremely low distortion. 
biggrin.gif

As discussed before, there are some limitations with HPEQ which might be a factor (no bass eq, peaks messing up etc). Did you try tuning the HPEQ coefficient factors with HD800? What is it that you are referring with "accuracy"? FR or something else?

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #2,745 of 2,910
With accuracy I mean the sharp pinning of the phantom sound sources. Every time I use a HPEQ this was somehow messed up. So I prefere a quite neutral Headphone. I have Tried with verry good results Stax 4070, 009, 007 mk1, sr-x mk3 pro, UERM and well results with HD800 and HE-6. The frequency response is not a perfect presentation of the measured system, but the accuracy of the soundstage much improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back