Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jun 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,671 of 2,910

When creating a PRIR in a non acoustically treated room, do you find that you get an exaggerated, tinny reverb effect?

I'm about to book some expensive time in a high quality listening room and just want to check that I'm not doing anything wrong, and that there's nothing wrong with my equipment.

I would agree with this observation.  I might describe it as "hollow, echo" sounding.

The PRIR I got at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood (Lorr had made special arrangements) a few years back is notoriously "echoic".  We were sitting first row balcony in a large empty theater, and listening to anything through that PRIR is certainly unpleasant.  The original sample PRIR I got at the Smyth offices in Camarillo back in 2009, in their untreated demo room, was also very "hollow" sounding.  Even the same with the Mi Casa PRIR I got back in 2009.

That's why the PRIR I got from AIX back in 2009 is so stunning.  Their studio room walls and ceiling is covered with acoustic padding.  Treated all around and it sounds "dead silent" except for the signal coming from the 5.1 speakers.  PERFECT for Realiser PRIR and subsequent headphone listening!  The PRIR from AIX is amazing.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,672 of 2,910
Thanks for the replies. This isn't a complaint about the Realiser as I have no intention of using PRIRs recorded in "bad" rooms anyway - I just wanted to check there wasn't a problem with my microphones or something.

I think it should go down as a known "learning point" that people must only use PRIRs from a high quality listening environment. My high quality PRIR works fine. But the Realiser is extremely unforgiving on bad rooms and, in fact, makes them sound worse than they do in the flesh.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,675 of 2,910

Hi,
I've had the exact same issue.
Here is my setup :
Dune HD Max => Realiser => Benq Projector

When the Benq is off, I've got no sound.

I've contacted Smyth, but they don't have any solution.
I've been told that HDMI was a touchy thing, as devices communicates : if one is off, there no communication.

I was first using the analog output to solve the issue (but I guess you don't necessarly have any on an Imac)
Then I've been using an HDMI spitter (for other matters) and I found out that it's solved the issue.

But I might also depends on the splitter used...so I canno't garanty i will works for you.

Hi all,

I now have a problem.

I've just changed my Benq projector for a Sony one. (HW55ES).

Projector OFF, or ON, I have no sound at all when I'm using the HDMI.

The splitter I was using is no help now...:frowning2:

Has anyone faced that kind of issue ?

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #2,676 of 2,910
Unfortunately that doesn't solve the problem. Even with the reverb for all channels set to 200ms, if you recorded your PRIR in a reverberant-sounding room, you're going to get the hollow-sounding effect.

For me it does. Before my measurements I tried my best to improve the room acoustics. But still on heavy multichannel-tracks there is some sort of "echo" or "reverberant-effect". If i choose my prir with the recorded reverberant and change the reverb to 200ms the sound gets cleaner and the echo is completely gone.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2,677 of 2,910
I've found that changing the reverb value does improve a PRIR recorded in  bad room but it still does not become anywhere near as good as a PRIR recorded in a good room. If you're relying solely on a bad PRIR with tweaked reverb, you're seriously missing out IMHO.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,678 of 2,910
Is there a way to toggle the brightness of the LED? If I use the remote to change some settings, the LED screen and white lights become brighter, but only temporarily.

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #2,679 of 2,910
  Is there a way to toggle the brightness of the LED? If I use the remote to change some settings, the LED screen and white lights become brighter, but only temporarily.

Two separate questions?

The red "standby" LED is simply on at a constant brightness.  No setting to adjust its brightness.

As far as the LED screen and white lights, the design is to have the in "bright" mode for only when you might be doing something or interested in something displayed on the screen.  Otherwise, after 10 seconds or so the lights go auto-dim so as not to be as distracting in a darkened viewing environment (if the equipment is visible to you).  What is it that you want to see on the screen for longer than those 10 seconds?  Each time you push a button on the remote that 10-second trigger interval resets, so as long as you press a button the lights will stay "bright".

But f you want the display and white lights to remain "bright" indefinitely (because there is something of interest to be able to see on the screen), you can push the EXIT button on the remote, which brings up the 8-channel VU meter presentation.  You will now see the input signal levels on each of the input channels your PRIR supports, so the display remains "bright" in order for you to see them... indefinitely.  The VU meter presentation is canceled by pushing the CANCEL button on the remote, at which time the display and white lights again go auto-dim in 10 seconds.

This is actually an interesting and useful display (especially if you're curious to know if your source is delivering signal to all of your channels), although having the screen and white lights in "bright" can be distracting in a darkened room.

Up to you.

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #2,680 of 2,910
I am going to use the A8 with my projector. But I don't wish to run long cable from the tracker reference unit to the main unit. Is there any way around this, or should I just disable the tracker  reference unit?

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2,681 of 2,910
  I am going to use the A8 with my projector. But I don't wish to run long cable from the tracker reference unit to the main unit. Is there any way around this, or should I just disable the tracker  reference unit?

Many (including myself) don't use the head tracker at all.  Never have, because I found it very uncomfortable and distracting to try and keep my head upright and pointed straight ahead so that the two green lights were both on and "balanced sound" reached both of my ears equally same as would be the case with true speakers and looking straight ahead at the screen.  I found myself constantly looking up at the tracker sitting on top of the TV, to be sure both green lights were on.  My neck began to kill me.

I just disconnected it, and never use it ever.  Sure, if I turn my head slightly the sound field is "frozen around my head" and the "disconnect illusion of ears/brain from the presumed static located virtual speakers" is not present.  But at least I always do get equal "balanced sound" delivered to both my ears, and besides I'm always looking straight ahead at the screen anyway, plus or minus a few degrees.  I know what I'm "losing" by not using the head tracker, and I don't really care.

YMMV.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #2,682 of 2,910

Many (including myself) don't use the head tracker at all.  Never have, because I found it very uncomfortable and distracting to try and keep my head upright and pointed straight ahead so that the two green lights were both on and "balanced sound" reached both of my ears equally same as would be the case with true speakers and looking straight ahead at the screen.  I found myself constantly looking up at the tracker sitting on top of the TV, to be sure both green lights were on.  My neck began to kill me.

I just disconnected it, and never use it ever.  Sure, if I turn my head slightly the sound field is "frozen around my head" and the "disconnect illusion of ears/brain from the presumed static located virtual speakers" is not present.  But at least I always do get equal "balanced sound" delivered to both my ears, and besides I'm always looking straight ahead at the screen anyway, plus or minus a few degrees.  I know what I'm "losing" by not using the head tracker, and I don't really care.

YMMV.

Will the sound field and audio illusion collapsed without the tracker or just be slightly diminished? 

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #2,683 of 2,910
  Will the sound field and audio illusion collapsed without the tracker or just be slightly diminished? 

I don't believe there's any affect on the sound field itself, or the audio illusion duplicating the listening environment that the PRIR captured.  It's still the same PRIR, and it's still the same headphone equipment (and corresponding HPEQ) that you're listening through.

The only difference is that turning your head has zero effect on what you hear.  You could close your eyes, turn your head, and it sounds unchanged.  This isn't what happens in the "real world" if you were sitting in a chair listening to sound coming from multiple speakers and turned your head (where your brain could register the rotation of your head because it sounds different through your ears and your brain knows that the speakers are stationary).

But that's not really what we do when watching a movie on a TV, where we mostly just stare straight ahead at the screen with our head in essentially a fixed position while sitting in a fixed seat.  It really doesn't matter if our head leans over just a bit or we turn slightly to look at something not on the screen.  The fact that there is no audible difference at all to our brain of the virtualized multi-channel simulation sound we're hearing through the headphones when we move our head slightly isn't really critical.  Doesn't bother me at all.  I just want to hear the multiple speakers from AIX in my ears when I'm looking in the general straight-ahead direction of my TV screen.

At least that's how I myself have rationalized not using the head tracker.

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #2,684 of 2,910
I'm always amazed by how eager people who have dropped >$2k (if you use your own and don't get the bundled Lamda) are to rationalize away the headtracking importance to listening with the Realzier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back