Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jan 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,537 of 2,910
Assuming u are using someone else's PRIRs, vs your own custom ones?

Honestly, using someone else's PRIRs is not proper usage of the Realiser.  In my opinion there's not much point in discussing "how this works", i.e. is it good or bad.  It's really just not good, and is not how the equipment was intended to be used.

Sure, you can obviously do it.  But it in no way reflects how things work and sound when using a PRIR generated from your own ears in some particular listening environment.

It's like putting on someone else's prescription glasses.  Can you still see?  Yes.  Is it better or worse than not having glasses on at all?  Probably unpredictable, and varies by individual.  Would you want to go on this way forever?  Almost certainly probably not, except if you had no other choice.  Would you want your own glasses with your own prescription?  Of course.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,538 of 2,910
I'm curious how much of the headphones natural tuning (sound signature) transfers into the Realiser. Electrostats have fast transients, but other systems are not without their own benefits. What happens when u use a midrange/ Tubey sounding headphone (3000anvs) with a smyth Realiser for example? Assuming u are using someone else's PRIRs, vs your own custom ones?

The sound of the headphones definitely affects the sound even after applying an HPEQ to the preset. The Realiser does try to EQ the headphones to be more flat, but EQ can't make all headphones sound the same. There are lots of other factors. If EQ could make all headphones sound the same, then that's what everyone would do to make their headphones "perfect". It's kind of like trying to apply EQ to a tube amp to make it sound like solid state. It's not that simple.

Does the HPEQ help? Yes, definitely. But you can't expect EQ to make a $200 pair of dynamic headphones sound the same as a pair of Stax 009's. It's just physics.

But, as I said before, does the effect work with anything less than a pair of Stax 009's? Of course. I have tried lots of different headphones from $5 earbuds to Koss Porta Pros ($40) to Stax 009's. In all cases, the localization of the sound out of your head works. Of course, the $5 earbuds didn't sound accurate at all or have very good sound, but it "worked" in terms of the localization. The Koss Porta Pros work amazingly well. I even give people demos using my laptop with the Koss Porta Pros all the time.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #2,539 of 2,910
  I wonder how well Realiser would work with these new tactile stuff like SubPac.
biggrin.gif
You could hide that under your mattress..

I have been using the larger SubPac with the Realiser for a few months, for listening to music, sitting in a chair or lying in bed.  The combo works very well in my opinion.  For watching movies, I have been using Crowson actuators under the couch for several years.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2,540 of 2,910

Looking forward to your report. I would think that the vibrations would rattle things in the room and travel thru floors and walls to your neighbors, but maybe it is not that powerful?

I hooked up my seat shakers (K-woon) through my Realizer and a Musical fidelity m1 amp that i got second hand for a steal...

I put the devices on to a horizontal panel in the arms of my Sofa, changed the applicable settings opn the Realizer and sat down to watch Captain Phillips on Blu ray.. VERY COOL

Loved it, thought the shakers performed very well and added a whole lot to the immersion into, in my opinion an already exciting film.

Well worth the investment. Tonight ill play some COD on my Play station, hopefully get some good results there too

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #2,541 of 2,910

This just got in the mail! :) time to redefine my listening habits.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #2,542 of 2,910
Jan 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #2,543 of 2,910
Oh man it's a little confusing to setup. I've got my optical connects in, but somehow I'm not making any sense of this.

My "Line in Clip" is red, and somehow, even direct from my laptops HDMI, it's not reading? Doesn't make sense. =( =( 

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #2,544 of 2,910
  Oh man it's a little confusing to setup. I've got my optical connects in, but somehow I'm not making any sense of this.

My "Line in Clip" is red, and somehow, even direct from my laptops HDMI, it's not reading? Doesn't make sense. =( =( 

Yes, it makes sense to me since it's a common problem with the Realiser. It doesn't make sense that it behaves this way though. 

First, the red "Line in Clip" light indicates a problem handshaking with the HDMI input signal. (Assuming you have the Realiser set to HDMI input rather than analog line input.)

In order to fix that, sometimes, on a Windows laptop, I have to change the HDMI output resolution to something other than 1080p and then back again to 1080p in order to establish a good handshake with the Realiser.

Also, make sure in Windows, that your HDMI audio output is set to 7.1. (Control Panel/Sound/Playback Devices/HDMI Output/Configure Speakers)

Then if that doesn't work, it then depends on the handshake with whatever is connected tot he Realiser HDMI output. Do you have anything connected to the HDMI output? Sometimes having nothing connected will put the Realiser in a state where it is not hadnshaking properly with the HDMI input signal. If you can, try connecting an HDTV or an AV receiver to the HDMI output, that might help.

Sometimes, power up in a different order can help too.

Basically the red Line in Clip light should turn off when the Realiser gets a good handshake with the HDMI input signal.

The Realiser can be finicky when it comes to recognizing and processing HDMI 7.1 audio inputs, unfortunately.

Until you get it working with the HDMI, your optical setup doesn't matter.

(Just to get it working, you could try the analog inputs and test your optical output.)

-Darin

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #2,545 of 2,910
Thanks for taking the time! 

Let me mess with it. It is frustrating (just a little) but mainly because I am so excited. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,547 of 2,910
It worked after I removed my monitors. I'm sure there is a way I could keep my monitors and enable my HDMI ... I'll find a work around. It also goes to show how important personalized PRIRs are, really do need them else the sound is a little "off" cross feed effect I noticed had some overlap/ echo on one of my phones

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2,548 of 2,910
So this is the predicament. My laptop doesn't read/ detect the HDMI driver if I have monitors attached. I can't figure out why. This means I needed to disconnect both my large screens (which sucks) . Forcing me to use my tiny (in comparison 17 inch screen).

It's out of the question to use it in this way, given I won't be able to watch movies with a quality experience (a big plus for getting the realiser).

So far, in spite of mismatched PRIRs, I am impressed. Truly solid out of the head sound. I need to fix the implementation issue however. It's not useable this way. I need my screens for work.

On another note, it's interesting to see how I need a much higher gain setting for my realiser through my naim amp/dac than without the realiser to drive the phones.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #2,549 of 2,910
So this is the predicament. My laptop doesn't read/ detect the HDMI driver if I have monitors attached. I can't figure out why. This means I needed to disconnect both my large screens (which sucks) . Forcing me to use my tiny (in comparison 17 inch screen).

It's out of the question to use it in this way, given I won't be able to watch movies with a quality experience (a big plus for getting the realiser).

So far, in spite of mismatched PRIRs, I am impressed. Truly solid out of the head sound. I need to fix the implementation issue however. It's not useable this way. I need my screens for work.

On another note, it's interesting to see how I need a much higher gain setting for my realiser through my naim amp/dac than without the realiser to drive the phones.

You have multiple monitors connected to your laptop's HDMI output? Do you have multiple HDMI outputs on your laptop?  I am guessing that if your computer monitor is connected, the laptop sees that it doesn't have audio or support 7.1 audio, so it doesn't send audio to it. I am not sure since I have not tried hooking up a computer monitor to the HDMI out of the Realiser.

The output level of the Realiser is controlled by the volume control on the Realiser even on the optical output. So, just turn up the output volume on the Realiser if you want more gain on the output. To adjust the volume, just use the "up/down" arrows on the remote.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #2,550 of 2,910
My monitors are connected via 32 pin (I think that's what it is) connectors, and I have two of them. Once they get connected, the HDMI driver doesn't get detected. I'm wondering if I can HDMI into the smyth, HDMI out into a monitor, but that would take my dac/ amp out of the equation. The easiest work around is to set up a computer just for music and videos, just that's a little stupid... Even though I have 3 spare computers in the office

Users who are viewing this thread

Back