Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Apr 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #526 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that's what I thought too but my wife listens to my "head" everyday and always comments on it sounding just like speakers and hearing the placement of the surrounds.

Is the head tracker being used while you both listen?

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #527 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the head tracker being used while you both listen?

No, in fact, I don't have the head tracker even hooked up anymore. I found that it didn't add anything to my experience even when watching movies alone. I even tried putting electrical tape over the led's and it still didn't do much for me.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #528 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, in fact, I don't have the head tracker even hooked up anymore. I found that it didn't add anything to my experience even when watching movies alone. I even tried putting electrical tape over the led's and it still didn't do much for me.

Interesting. If the head tracker isn't hooked up, are the headphones "on" at all times then?

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #529 of 2,910
Quote:

This comment from Smyth Research is related to bass response and amplifiers.

"We are testing different electrostatic amplifiers, because we feel that even a slight improvement in the low-end response of the Stax would be a big help - ie 3dB more headroom at 40Hz would be nice. This amplifier would then be sold by us as an upgrade to the basic Stax amp that we are bundling with our unit. We'd be trying to keep the cost of the amp as low as possible - we're not really interested in making headphones or headphone amps."

Oooh, I'll have to keep an eye on this!

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #530 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. If the head tracker isn't hooked up, are the headphones "on" at all times then?

Yes, the headphones stay on in the centered position.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #532 of 2,910
So has anyone been disappointed by this unit?

How does it function with higher end dynamics (let's say AD2000 and up)?

Whats the going price for the stax SRS 2050II system on its own?

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #533 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronBroad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any issues with lag due to the processing the Realiser does?

According to the user manual, the processing latency is 15 or 16 ms (almost 1/60th of a second). That's equivalent to sitting about 18 feet away from a real speaker, where the sound waves take 16 ms to travel through the air.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #535 of 2,910
Quote:

According to the user manual, the processing latency is 15 or 16 ms (almost 1/60th of a second). That's equivalent to sitting about 18 feet away from a real speaker, where the sound waves take 16 ms to travel through the air.

Lag should not be a factor for gaming applications then. Thanks much.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #536 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronBroad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So has anyone used this for gaming? Are there any issues with lag due to the processing the Realiser does? This would seem to be tremendous for gaming, particularly in first person shooters.

I do. And it's spectacular
dt880smile.png

Not only for FPS, but also for TPS.
Since 2 days, I've been playing the last Splinter Cell, and it's a true pleasure.
You could say that is the same with speakers, and it's correct.
But with the Realiser, you don't have to jump on the remote, everytime there is a big action moment with a lot of noise,
and that my friend, is really important for immersion.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #537 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So has anyone been disappointed by this unit?

How anyone could be ?
The Realiser was already finished 5 years ago, but the Smyth brothers, instead of release their product too early,
have chosen to improve its technology.

So no, there is no disapointement with it.

The only thing, but it's not really Realiser's fault, is about headphones.
It's not easy to find a headphone, as good for movie and games as for music.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #538 of 2,910
It doesn't sound weird with the sound so distant? I'm not familiar with a great 5.1 setup, but does imaging work 360 degrees? Or does the sound have great imagine in front, but sound like it's coming from a speaker on the sides and rear?

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #539 of 2,910
It sounds exactly like the HomeTheater you has mesured.

It's quite impressive, but I can understand than you can't believe it until you try it.

It was the same for me.
All I hope was a evolution of Dolby headphone process.
But no, it's really amazing.
Better than I could imagine.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #540 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenshprince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not easy to find a headphone, as good for movie and games as for music.

The Audeze LCD-1 or LCD-2 might fit the bill. It was mentioned by Smyth Research in this comment from the Q&A.

"One headphone that we have tried and been quite impressed by, is the LCD-1, from the company called Audeze (Audeze). Its a new headphone, and goes very loud. It has an electrostatic 'sound' but simply gets much louder."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back