Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Oct 28, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #406 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsperber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For one, I've been using "bass management" for a while now, which essentially converts a 2.0 system into a 2.1 system. Effectively low frequencies from the L/R channels (80hz and below) are sent to the virtual sub-woofer channel (for the headphones) on the Realiser, which theoretically can reproduce those low frequencies better just as the true sub-woofer in the room could probably do a better job with those low frequencies. At the same time, those frequencies are rolled off quickly on the original L/R channels as played through the virtual L/R channels coming through on the headphones.

Along those lines, I am trying to come up with a new way to handle the bass. Normally, the Realiser's bass management redirects the bass to a virtualized subwoofer channel. In the new way, the Realiser would redirect the bass to the headphone output without virtualizing it (so you would not need to measure a real subwoofer), while the non-bass would still be virtualized as usual. As a result, you would hear the headphone's native bass response (which is free from room modes and other problems that a real subwoofer might have).

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #407 of 2,910
Looks like the Realiser will arrive today. It's going to suck just having it sit there until I get some calibrations installed.
smily_headphones1.gif

I downloaded the manual late last night. Haven't had a chance to read it.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #408 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new firmware and new manual can be downloaded now.

[size=large]RED FLAG ALERT!!![/size]

Unless I'm wrong, I've discovered a bug in the newly released September 23 firmware:
Analog pass-thru in Standby mode no longer works!
I use this approach when casually listening to my 2.1 external speakers for HDTV, when I am not doing serious watching (and listening through SVS and headphones) but just want the sound on in the background. Well today, I did just that with the new September 23 firmware installed... and there was NO SOUND via analog pass-thru in Standby mode.

After lots of double-checking and head scratching, on a flyer I decided to try re-loading the previously released June 12 firmware. Sure enough... SOUND via anlaog pass-thru in Standby mode.

Incredulous, I once again re-loaded the new September 23 firmware, and sure enough once again NO SOUND via analog pass-thru in Standby mode.

So one more time, back to the June 12 firmware and sure enough... SOUND via analog pass-thru in Standy mode.

If this doesn't matter to you, just be aware of it. If it does matter to you (as it very much does to me), there's no alternative but to revert to the previous June 12 firmware until Smyth releases a fix.

I've notified Smyth of the problem.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #409 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the Realiser will arrive today.

If your unit has the latest Sept 23 firmware installed in it, based on my own experience analog pass-thru in Standby mode no longer works.

Of course, a fix for the bug may be available before you get your first calibration.

But analog pass-thru does not affect listening through headphones and some calibration/preset, when the Realiser is powered on. It only affects listening "straight through" from preamp [through the Realiser] and on to amp/speakers, when the Realiser is powered off and you do NOT want to use headphones. So no calibration is involved.

In other words, if you'd wanted to set things up in for non-Realiser analog pass-thru with the Realiser in Standby, for actual listening to your normal system and speakers, in advance of an actual calibration, this firmware problem WILL affect you.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #410 of 2,910
Quote:

If your unit has the latest Sept 23 firmware installed in it, based on my own experience analog pass-thru in Standby mode no longer works.

Of course, a fix for the bug may be available before you get your first calibration.

But analog pass-thru does not affect listening through headphones and some calibration/preset, when the Realiser is powered on. It only affects listening "straight through" from preamp [through the Realiser] and on to amp/speakers, when the Realiser is powered off and you do NOT want to use headphones. So no calibration is involved.

In other words, if you'd wanted to set things up in for non-Realiser analog pass-thru with the Realiser in Standby, for actual listening to your normal system and speakers, in advance of an actual calibration, this firmware problem WILL affect you.

Good catch! I'll ask about this when I pick up the unit.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #413 of 2,910
Well it's here now.

I should probably go out an buy an SD card. Maybe this weekend.

Is the factory PRIR built into the unit?

EDIT: looks like the sensor won't attach anywhere to the top of my TV. Where's my hacksaw?
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #414 of 2,910
Quote:

Well it's here now.

After you get it plugged in and set up, you can check the firmware level. Push the FILE button on the remote, and the date of the firmware will display on the screen for about 2 seconds before the display reverting back to the contents of Preset1 (if you have anything set, or if Smyth installed some factory preset in Preset1). If it disappears too quickly, just keep pressing FILE again and again until you've read it.

I'm curious as to whether your firmware date is June 12 or September 23.

Quote:

I should probably go out an buy an SD card. Maybe this weekend.

The carton should contain an SD card. It's small, inside a hard-plastic protective holder, and most likely inside a larger sealed plastic bag with some other things.

You don't need to buy one.

Quote:

EDIT: looks like the sensor won't attach anywhere to the top of my TV. Where's my hacksaw?
biggrin.gif

It just needs to stand there. Mine won't "attach" to the flat top of my Sony 34XBR960 either, but there is a surrounding gray-colored plastic "frame" that runs around the front of my set, which creates a kind of flat front ridge before the whole back of the set slopes off. Note that this is a large CRT weighing just under 200 lbs.

By opening the sensor holder and positioning it just over that ridge, it seems totally balanced and stable. It doesn't actually have to "attach", but clearly it at least needs to be positioned to stand upright so that the IR receiver faces front, and it needs to remain stationary and solid.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #415 of 2,910
Quote:

After you get it plugged in and set up, you can check the firmware level. Push the FILE button on the remote, and the date of the firmware will display on the screen for about 2 seconds before the display reverting back to the contents of Preset1 (if you have anything set, or if Smyth installed some factory preset in Preset1). If it disappears too quickly, just keep pressing FILE again and again until you've read it.

I'm curious as to whether your firmware date is June 12 or September 23.

September 23

Quote:

The carton should contain an SD card. It's small, inside a hard-plastic protective holder, and most likely inside a larger sealed plastic bag with some other things.

You don't need to buy one.

There's a USB stick with an SD slot but it's empty. That's the only thing in the box fitting your description.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #417 of 2,910
Quote:

September 23

Then I suspect you will not have a functioning "analog pass-thru" feature, at least not until they provide a fix in an upcoming firmware release. Instead, you will have "silence" when the Realiser is in Standby if you connect real amp/speakers to the 1-8 main outputs of your Realiser and expect to hear something coming from your preamp.

As I mentioned previously, analog pass-thru is very important to me because that's how I listen to TV using my external 2.1 speakers when I don't want to listen through SVS/headphones. I turn the Realiser off (actually, I always have it in Standby unless I'm actually using it to listen through headphones) and turn on my speakers. The relevant cabling through several devices thus passes my preamp output (i.e. L/R stereo) through the Realiser (in Standby) and on to my DBX/EQ, Stax amp, and powered speakers. All analog... via analog pass-thru on the Realiser.

Not wanting to live without this ability, I've gone back to the June 12 firmware where analog pass-thru works as intended.

Strangely, I have not heard back yet from Smyth on this issue. I know Stephen is off to give a paper in Europe, but I would have expected to hear from Lorr.

Oh well...

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #418 of 2,910
Quote:

Lorr just messaged me. Not everyone got an SD card. It was bonus item.

I did not get a card, even though the original manual stated that a card was included. Anyway, I already had a card.

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #419 of 2,910
Lorr confirms that analog pass-thru in Standby does NOT work using his Realiser and current firmware, as I reported.

Presumably, this will be fixed sometime in the near future and a new release provided.

In the meantime, its the previous firmware release for me.

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #420 of 2,910
I watched a bit of The Matrix yesterday. Sounds pretty good with this system. Can't wait for a proper calibration.

I have the Realiser's power toggle programmed into my Logitech Harmony. I figure for now that's all I need. If I could figure out a way to automatically turn off HDMI audio in my TV or Bluray player, I'd have a totally automated setup. Well almost totally automated. The Stax amp has no remote so I can't control the volume out of that
tongue.gif

EDIT: I tried using it today to listen to the AIX demo disc. Remote is dead
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back