Long amp wait times = No sale!
Nov 1, 2007 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

The_X

1000+ Head-Fier
Being fairly new to amps and looking for one to complement my HF-1, I noticed one thing that really bugged me--really long wait times for products! I seriously think it makes no business sense for amp builders to not carry stock. I got several recommendations to check out the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite for my headphones and was very interested. I liked the look and, by everyone's accounts, the sound signature nicely complements the Grado house sound. Problem is, the wait time for a Gilmore Lite is 3 weeks! Throw in shipping time and I'm looking at a month wait for a relatively budget-level amp. Lots of things can happen in 4 weeks--headphone collections change, financial crises arise, tastes change (especially at the budget level!). What if you need a GS-1? 8 week wait time!

The long wait time for the Gilmore definitely drove me away from buying one and I eventually chose the Little Dot MKIII instead. I wasn't even sure I'd keep the HF-1 and needed some proper amplification to experience its full(er) potential. I realize the HeadAmp is hand-built, but from my outsider's perspective I don't see why they can't keep some ready-to-ship. Not having any stock just drives customers away to other sellers with more convenient sales systems.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 46
You must be new if you think three weeks is a long time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously, the Gilmore amps are better than most and well worth the wait. Also, you'll actually get them when they promise.

Look around and search for Xin or Diablo - people have waited upwards of a year after paying up front!

Not bashing Little Dot, but I would buy anything from Justin in a heartbeat over any of the Little Dot amps I've seen.

I hear what you're saying, but you should temper the need for instant gratification with stellar amps and customer service. Justin's amps are worth waiting for. If your lucky there might be one in the FS forum, but they don't get resold much.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 46
3 weeks is not much of a wait for me, though I perfectly understand where you are coming from (my own dad can't stand waiting even an hour when purchasing electronics). FYI I've waited some 10-12 weeks for my Headphile woodies to come in. I believe there are some amps out there whose prospective owners have been waiting for even longer.

Cheers!

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 46
Keep in mind that a number of these amp builders are in the business by themselves. They can't afford to carry much stock. But I also do agree with you in principle. For instance, I have no interest in doing business with Xin. Three weeks for an amp, however, is okay by me. It's all a matter of perspective. Just keep repeating to yourself "All good things come to those who wait."
cool.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 46
3 years is a long wait time. It has actually happened. Not to me, but to someone I know.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 46
Maybe for a high-end amp for really dedicated Head-Fiers 3-4 weeks is not a long time. For people less experienced in amps (and thus, in the Gilmore Lite's price range) 3-4 weeks is a LONG time. I was afraid that I might go ampless for a month, receive the amp, and then dislike the sound signature or some other feature and end up back at square one.

My other question stands.. why can't they keep some pre-built, ESPECIALLY the budget models, and negate the issue altogether?

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 46
I also think it's crap business practice. Running a small business myself, I know EXACTLY what it's like to have huge orders with no help.

I understand the fact that they're all by themselves, but realistically, this isn't exactly the largest community either.

Staying with the genre of audio, this isn't the kind of crap home system enthusiasts put up with, even for boutique components. If they're OOS, and were told to wait 3 months, they'de laugh at you, and shop elsewhere, and probably spend MORE money elsewhere.

I think Jan Meier is a perfect example of a good headphone business. For most of us, he's out of country, and he can still deliver on JUST SHIPPING times, fast ones at that. There isn't really a wait time, and after a product is released, he has a sufficient amount for it.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Jan Meier is a perfect example of a good headphone business. For most of us, he's out of country, and he can still deliver on JUST SHIPPING times, fast ones at that. There isn't really a wait time, and after a product is released, he has a sufficient amount for it.

x2. I was about to recommend him but you beat me to it.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe for a high-end amp for really dedicated Head-Fiers 3-4 weeks is not a long time. For people less experienced in amps (and thus, in the Gilmore Lite's price range) 3-4 weeks is a LONG time. I was afraid that I might go ampless for a month, receive the amp, and then dislike the sound signature or some other feature and end up back at square one.

My other question stands.. why can't they keep some pre-built, ESPECIALLY the budget models, and negate the issue altogether?

You could wait 3 weeks and get an excellent amp or you could get instant gratification and get an amp that's not that good (not referring to any amps in particular). If that's the choice than why not wait. You are right, you wait a month, get the amp and not like it. You are talking as if the next amp you buy will be your last. Getting what you want takes patience at times. There are two or three builders I won't buy from because of the ridiculous wait times. It's all a matter of what we are willing to put up with to get the sound we want. I waited about 3 months for my WA5. I know it going into the deal and it was well worth the wait.

On the issue of stock, Headamp is run by one guy. How many should he keep in stock. Enough so you can get one or should he keep enough so 20 can get them without a wait. These are small businesses we deal with. Sometimes we need to cut them slack. As another poster said, I would gladly wait 3 weeks for the G'lite before buying a Little Dot amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn
Staying with the genre of audio, this isn't the kind of crap home system enthusiasts put up with, even for boutique components. If they're OOS, and were told to wait 3 months, they'de laugh at you, and shop elsewhere, and probably spend MORE money elsewhere.

You can't compare Headamp to Krell, Rega to name a few. That's not fair. This hobby is young, the speaker hobby is not. The bottom line is you choose who you want to deal with and the reasons for it. But at least understand why Justin doesn't stock amps that may never sell or that he might decide to change and upgrade to a new model. Guys like him can't afford to do that yet.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 46
Amp makers should provide realistic time estimates when the order is placed. Further, they should contact purchasers if and when they know their commitment will be broken.

Clear, regular communication, without playing time games, is the key. Most unfortunately, it appears to be the exception, not the rule, with specialized amp makers.

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 46
I find it a bit odd that you've been on head-fi for three years and then when you are finally able and decide to buy an amp you can't wait another few weeks. That's like taking your highschool sweetheart out to a club and then going home with the first girl who pinches your butt (and not your sweetheart).

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #14 of 46
Your concerns are valid, but explained by economics.

Essentially as it's been summarized you would expect that as soon as you want an amp you slop down your plastic and it's shipped the next day. This is easy let's say for Grado who mass manufactures their headphones. They are able to deal with the temporary cash flow restraint from building up a stockpile. However smaller amp vendors cannot incur the cost of building up a stockpile and then selling them because of the incurred interest and storage fees. Building them to order helps avoid these costs, at the cost of wait times for the consumer. Pre-building them would in effect put them out of business because of cash-flow issues. Building 100 Gilmores and incurring the cost and waiting say 3 months to sell them isn't feasible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back