London (UK) meeting.
Dec 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #137 of 250
LOL
It's still a pre order Parafeed (Drew by Moon Audio said they will be released this month, but it's not sure). Even including shipping to UK the price in USA is really appealing (£250 less than here in UK) Hope will be a good headphone, and my ears will be good enough to hear the differences with the DT880!

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #141 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to check, does anyone attending the meet have any allergies the others should be aware of?

Solid state amps and IEM's!
wink.gif
(Sorry, lame attempt at humour.)

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #143 of 250
Congratulations realmassy! Maybe Emanuel speeded up because he wanted to join the meeting himself :)

Parafeed, thanks for your looking for a bijou. By the design I think it is a very nice amp deserving to be better known.
I know the Millet's menace is a completely different beast but it strikes closer to my idea of tube design.

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #144 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL
It's still a pre order Parafeed (Drew by Moon Audio said they will be released this month, but it's not sure). Even including shipping to UK the price in USA is really appealing (£250 less than here in UK) Hope will be a good headphone, and my ears will be good enough to hear the differences with the DT880!

Is this with Customs/VAT/RM charges factored in?

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #145 of 250
Quote:

It's still a pre order Parafeed (Drew by Moon Audio said they will be released this month, but it's not sure). Even including shipping to UK the price in USA is really appealing (£250 less than here in UK)

The Moon Audio price is $995? (Fingers crossed, you will not get a £100 customs/import charge.)

Quote:

Hope will be a good headphone, and my ears will be good enough to hear the differences with the DT880!

Yes, and hopefully they won't be a divisive as the Senn HD800, where people seem to either love them or loathe them, no middle ground.

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #146 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antistase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Parafeed, thanks for your looking for a bijou.

You're welcome. If all else fails, I found a set of completed boards, components soldered to them (which we can wire up on Sunday.)

Quote:

By the design I think it is a very nice amp deserving to be better known.

It's a good design for the money. For just under 200 quid you can put a complete amp together with the GlassJar kit, transformer, chassis. If you do decide to go for it, I'd recommend running more current on the first stage. As a whole, the Regal mods are worth experimenting with, although the ECC99 as the output tube is not as 'relaxed' as the 6N6. If you use a transformer with a centre-tapped 6.3V for the heaters, cut the trace on the underside of the PSU PCB and solder the centre-tap wire to it to "bias" the heater supply, rather than the default which is to bias one of the legs. Anyway, enough waffle from me about the Bijou - I'll talk to you next weekend.
wink.gif

Quote:

I know the Millet's menace is a completely different beast but it strikes closer to my idea of tube design.

I'd have to disagree with you there. TBH, I'm not a fan of cathode follower OTL output stages, especially with 6AS7/6080. The thing is, I can understand why you'd want to do it to keep costs down, but once you reach a certain price point it doesn't make sense, spend the extra on a pair of output transformers and dump the cathode follower. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against feedback but I'd rather do it in other ways. No cathode followers and no global feedback! Other local feedback is OK - unbypassed cathode resistor or plate to grid.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #147 of 250
I do feel rather bad that I haven't an amp to provide at this meet. I'll be bring along my ICs, and my laptop that has around 40gb of music. So I suppose, due to the lack of an amp in the chain - you guys can try your amps in the line with your headphone or mine (HD 650)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back