London Meet - Saturday 27th April
Mar 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #436 of 924
Quote:
Yep that were the days..no laptops..the crt pc screens were monochrome..and had  intel 286's intels inside..windows was not introduced yet...it was msdos or pcdos..no microsoft  also..u had lotus quattro and 20/20 for sheets software and ibm software..for office suites.. u were lucky the screen was green-black.and .u even got 256mb as memory..gpu had an enormous 64 mb! and damn that was huge!...mobile phones were as big and heavy  u needed to be a body builder to take the battery with u also..no bluetooth also..u had leave ur car for at least 2 days to get a fixed carkit installed between ur seats...remember that?..nocdplayers..u had multi kilos of equipment to have even decent sounding rigs with ur lp's...the most innovative thing in those days were 3-headed casseteplayers with automatic reverse and monitor function.and motorized ejection function..and remote control..and variable bias control ( i. Still have on..see my pics!)..yep those were the days..so youngters..hit the books..we oldies are going to test ya..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yep, I saved for about a year to get a Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Deck and I recall buying TDK MA-X tapes at about a fiver a go, which was a fortune for me at the time!

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #437 of 924
I'm very much hoping to make it down from Leicester if there's still space and I'm not at work that day.

I don't really have much to bring apart from my winning personality, as i'm a pauper, so i'll just bring my DT 770 Pro Anniversary's, E17 and Galaxy Note / ITouch. Hopefully this meet will encourage me to stop being so tight :p

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #438 of 924
Quote:
Yep that were the days..no laptops..the crt pc screens were monochrome..and had  intel 286's intels inside..windows was not introduced yet...it was msdos or pcdos..no microsoft  also..u had lotus quattro and 20/20 for sheets software and ibm software..for office suites.. u were lucky the screen was green-black.and .u even got 256mb as memory..gpu had an enormous 64 mb! and damn that was huge!...mobile phones were as big and heavy  u needed to be a body builder to take the battery with u also..no bluetooth also..u had leave ur car for at least 2 days to get a fixed carkit installed between ur seats...remember that?..nocdplayers..u had multi kilos of equipment to have even decent sounding rigs with ur lp's...the most innovative thing in those days were 3-headed casseteplayers with automatic reverse and monitor function.and motorized ejection function..and remote control..and variable bias control ( i. Still have on..see my pics!)..yep those were the days..so youngters..hit the books..we oldies are going to test ya..
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm 20 and I kind of wish we didn't have so much accessibility to music, you know. Like how we can now listen to whatever and whenever we want because of the internet so I think we lose the excitement of getting a new CD/tape vinyl or whatever it may be and just playing the whole thing for the first time while holding the tangible copy and gradually building a physical collection. Because I wouldn't be able to afford nearly as much as I own by illegal downloading I would really cherish the ones I have I'm sure. But of course there are the obvious advantages of unlimited access to free music as well. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #439 of 924
Quote:

Yep, I saved for about a year to get a Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Deck and I recall buying TDK MA-X tapes at about a fiver a go, which was a fortune for me at the time!

I wanted a nackamichi deck also..those were the rolls royces! pity i was to young to have a good job to pay for it...i did bought the most expensive tapes though..i even got a casette with metal outsides! Super expensive limited edition..they were 20 dutch guilders....yep..the euro was not invented yet..i think i must have that tape somewhere still..

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #440 of 924
Quote:
I'm 20 and I kind of wish we didn't have so much accessibility to music, you know. Like how we can now listen to whatever and whenever we want because of the internet so I think we lose the excitement of getting a new CD/tape vinyl or whatever it may be and just playing the whole thing for the first time while holding the tangible copy and gradually building a physical collection. Because I wouldn't be able to afford nearly as much as I own by illegal downloading I would really cherish the ones I have I'm sure. But of course there are the obvious advantages of unlimited access to free music as well. 

It was nice to go down to the record shop on a Saturday morning, look at the latest charts pinned up on the wall and decide what single or album to buy. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #441 of 924
Quote:
It was nice to go down to the record shop on a Saturday morning, look at the latest charts pinned up on the wall and decide what single or album to buy. 

I always went for the 12 inch versions..lolz..those were special. I sometimes also spendee a whole saturday looking for those special cassetes in the different audio stores..u know blank ones...normallly very expensive...i have quite a view limited editions..sometimes i didnt even record anything on them..just to have them was cool...yep now people collect headphones..lolz.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #442 of 924
Ah yes, I remember dying of embarrassment when I had to ask for Doot Doot by Freur in Virgin Megastore in Plymouth. The girl in HMV had already thought I was mad. Luckily the chap in Virgin just reached down and pulled out a pristine 12" copy with the squiggle nicely displayed on the front.

And for anyone who has not heard of Freur but did see the opening of the Olympics.....one became the musical director for the other.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #443 of 924
I would love to come if i can hopefully get that Saturday off work. It will be my first ever meet. I can bring my clas, apex glacier, amperiors, d2000, ie80 and a battered ibasso t5 amp. I really want to try a pair of lcd 2's.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #444 of 924
Ok if there's space I'd like to pop over too. Can only bring one maybe two things though.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #445 of 924
Gents,
I know this isn't a swap meet, but I have a few things for sale and some of them might be of interest because I carried them across the pond without VAT and you could hear them before you buy, not to mention save a little on postage.... Please PM if you have any interest in me bringing any of the following for a potential transaction or if you want some information on price etc...

AKG K 702
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 ohm
Denon AH-D7000 (M-D7000)
Grado SR-80 (TechHeroMods GS-1000i Cocobolo Cups)
Grado HF-2
HiFiMAN RE-262
Philips Fidelio L1
Sennheiser PX-100
Sennheiser Adidas HD 25-1-II Originals
Sennheiser HD 25-1-II
Shure SE-530
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10
V-Moda M-80

ALO Audio Rx Mk2
ALO Continental
Digizoid ZO2
HeadRoom Total Airhead
HeadRoom Micro Amp
HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC with Home Upgrades
Headamp Pico Amp/Dac
Headamp Pico Slim
Little Dot I+
Ray Samuels SR-71B
STAX SRM 300
STAX SRM 717
Woo Audio WA-6SE
Woo Audio GES (w/Premium Parts Upgrade)

Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo
Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Headroom Micro Dac (Upgraded)

Again, apologies for the advert, but I hope that maybe someone could catch a good deal at the meet.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #448 of 924
Quote:
Gents,
I know this isn't a swap meet, but I have a few things for sale and some of them might be of interest because I carried them across the pond without VAT and you could hear them before you buy, not to mention save a little on postage.... Please PM if you have any interest in me bringing any of the following for a potential transaction or if you want some information on price etc...

AKG K 702
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 ohm
Denon AH-D7000 (M-D7000)
Grado SR-80 (TechHeroMods GS-1000i Cocobolo Cups)
Grado HF-2
HiFiMAN RE-262
Philips Fidelio L1
Sennheiser PX-100
Sennheiser Adidas HD 25-1-II Originals
Sennheiser HD 25-1-II
Shure SE-530
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10
V-Moda M-80

ALO Audio Rx Mk2
ALO Continental
Digizoid ZO2
HeadRoom Total Airhead
HeadRoom Micro Amp
HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC with Home Upgrades
Headamp Pico Amp/Dac
Headamp Pico Slim
Little Dot I+
Ray Samuels SR-71B
STAX SRM 300
STAX SRM 717
Woo Audio WA-6SE
Woo Audio GES (w/Premium Parts Upgrade)

Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo
Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Headroom Micro Dac (Upgraded)

Again, apologies for the advert, but I hope that maybe someone could catch a good deal at the meet.

Good idea..maybe i have a very very very good DHC headphone cable for sale also for a hifiman headphone as i now have toxic cables..and some excellent matched tube pairs..price will be very surprising!

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #449 of 924
Well since others are doing it, I'll have the W1000X in my sig if it's not sold yet, and most likely a boxed pair of sennheiser momentums in near-mint condition. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #450 of 924
Quote:
Reading through some of the posts here it is obvious there will be quite a few "young" Head-Fiers attending and I am starting to feel like an 'odd man out', is there anybody else going who is in the 50+ club?
eek.gif

Well I remember all these things....so I am in a similar age range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back