London Head-Fi Meet April 2013
Apr 30, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #121 of 134
London Head-Fi Meet - report and pictures by iFi

At the outset, we would like to thank Nadeem for inviting iFi along and the sponsors Sennheiser and Custom Cable for the location, food & beverage.

Club Orpheus with some very nice gear

THESE headphones need no intro

The Russell Hotel is a short walk from the tube station and is very convenient. A great venue for future meets.

The meet itself had grown y-o-y as someone told us that the attendance number had quadrupled from the last meet.

For us, the main thing was the overall atmosphere which was one of just people trying to find good tunes on good systems - share knowledge and gain insights.

We really enjoyed ourselves. For sure - the raffle went down a treat. 

Tim & Lynn of Sennheiser guarding the prizes...

...Prize time

Axel Grell was out to answer any and every question. We tried to 'out talk' Axel to no avail.

Jude made the 'short hop over' which shows a level of dedication to the Head-Fi community that goes a long way. He also stayed and answered every question posed to him. We certainly hope he wasn't late for his flight back.

...Jude also checks the prizes...

Nadeem (GSARider) - was the utmost professional organiser. Bent over backwards to help anyone and everyone.

Nadeem being photographed photographing people

We were definitely impressed and have no doubts the next meet will be even bigger and better.

One of the youngest listeners we came across...with permission from Frank of Toxic Cables (it was his son!)

Alan Sircom of HiFi+ taking copious notes on a tear down of the HD800...

Comments/Suggestions, maybe/possibly:
i. A dedicated 'Quiet Zone' in a far corner for people to do serious listening.
ii. No industry participants should enter the prize draw. We may be mistaken but we think someone from the trade won one of the prizes.

Listeners enjoyed the Sennheiser/iFi combos - some did remark that they wished they could 'enjoy in silence'.

About 150ish attendees made the meet. For sure, this meet will go from strength to strength.

Prize for most gear by one person goes to...

See you all at the next meet and maybe before.

best regards

iFi audio (Vincent, Mike and team)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #122 of 134
Quote:
Okay chaps, I'm getting closer to sorting it all out. For the next event, we will have a spread of manufacturers coming along who will all contribute to paying for the Hotel & Food, etc. So far, I have confirmation from four companies. Custom Cable should also be coming along - just awaiting confirmation from them and they should hopefully pay for the room - i just need to get the cash for everything else, including an extra room for critical listening, the food and various other bits & pieces which add up to a substantial sum.

I'll post up a new thread on it in due course and have some other ideas that I'd like to try out too - just thinking it through and the best way to implement.

That... is.... insane. 
size]

May 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #126 of 134
It was nice to meet Jude, even briefly, and some of the manufactures, like iFi, who actually build the gear, instead of just selling it. this was my first meet of this kind and was rather strange - I felt nervous and just couldn't relax for some reasons, but it good.

brief impressions:

SR-007MK2 + KGSShv - impressive, nothing else I listened to after came close; in a league of its own.

Denon D7000 plugged into Just Audio uHA-120Ds  - impressive, the bass on these ‘phones is phenomenal. though, the pair I tried at another table didn't sound as right.

HD800 - the first pair I tried didn't impress me a lot; it still had that typical headphone sound; if you haven’t listen to headphone for months (like me), you know what I mean. however, the pair I tried at the iFi table plugged into the 3-piece rack sounded extremely good. what a great system that’d be.

Best sub $500 ‘phones to me (by far):
ATH-A900X
Sony MDR-1R (just ordered a pair)

‘phones that have gone from my wish list: DT1350 – just didn’t care for its sound.
(a few other...)

May 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #127 of 134
Agree. Was disappointed by the DT1350. Treble balance out for me. More impressed by the Senns. Was unable to get the Amperior and Momentum together though, only able to hear them separately.

Also got to say something about everyone and their dog bringing along the HD650 but only one chap had the HD600. There I was assuming could leave my pair at home... no point of reference for many cans
tongue.gif

May 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #128 of 134
Quote:
<snip>
Also got to say something about everyone and their dog bringing along the HD650 but only one chap had the HD600. There I was assuming could leave my pair at home... no point of reference for many cans
tongue.gif

I noticed that as well. Several people would come up to my rig and say "Can I try my headphones?" then pull out a pair of HD650's. The other most brought were the HE500's. 

May 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #129 of 134
Yes my HD580 (modded to at least as good as a stock HD600) were left at home as i did not think people would be that bothered, i was wrong. Yes HD650 was the most popular, i had my mates on my table and i also had my HE500 in which there also was an abundance of, mine were the most unique if it is any condolence, Brainwavs HM5 pads all the way :wink: I must say i saw a fair few people whip out a HD800 as well.

Next time i come and ask to try your rig i will make sure i bring something special MrQ :wink: 

May 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #130 of 134
Quote:
Yes my HD580 (modded to at least as good as a stock HD600) were left at home as i did not think people would be that bothered, i was wrong. Yes HD650 was the most popular, i had my mates on my table and i also had my HE500 in which there also was an abundance of, mine were the most unique if it is any condolence, Brainwavs HM5 pads all the way :wink: I must say i saw a fair few people whip out a HD800 as well.

Next time i come and ask to try your rig i will make sure i bring something special MrQ :wink: 

I look forward to it.
beerchug.gif

May 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #131 of 134
for the bass lovers i would say MrSpeakers MadDog headphones where the best what i heard on the meeting day. A bit heavy and not "seksy looking", but still comfortable. Way more balanced sound and bass than d600 or d7100. the best bassy headphone i tried so far. Oh, hifiman he-500 surprised as well, but the military build and stock earpads was just aweful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back