London Head-Fi Meet April 2013
Apr 30, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #106 of 134
After consideration and clearance from head office, I'm getting the HDVD800 and hopefully a balanced cable from Toxic to pair up with my HD800's:)
Lucky man. Both for the purchase and to have such a supportive Head Office! That combo really is lovely IMHO. Simple and elegant. Job done. After listening to lots of wonderful kit that is what I would go for if funds allowed. Even beats the Orpheus or at least as good as. Again IMO. Happy listening and thanks again for a great coming together of the clan. :)

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #107 of 134
Quote:
Pete, i may be wrong but i think the suitable IEMs/Earbuds of each case is mixed up with the larger one being for iPod earbuds and the smaller being for IEMs with chunky upgrade cables. That should be the other way round right? Other than that beautiful website and gorgeous cases!

Doh! Thanks chaps, you're absolutely right - I've corrected the site now.

Glad you like the site, web design is the day-job.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #108 of 134
Thank you all and I have passed on all the comments to Sennheiser and from my conversation with them yesterday - they are pleased that it went well. Hopefully they'll be involved in the next event too, as well as other manufacturers - so get in touch if you're interested Trade folk....

I'm trying to organise a 'critical listening' area for next time, so that folk can try out the HD800's or whatever else,somewhere in peace & quiet. Some other ideas too that I'd like to implement also, but need to check out the viability of it all before I start announcing stuff...:D

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #109 of 134
I am currently writing up my IEM impressions for my website so watch that space!
Quote:
Doh! Thanks chaps, you're absolutely right - I've corrected the site now.

Glad you like the site, web design is the day-job.

Awesome. The site certainly is very well done, much like your pouches :wink:
Quote:
Thank you all and I have passed on all the comments to Sennheiser and from my conversation with them yesterday - they are pleased that it went well. Hopefully they'll be involved in the next event too.

I'm trying to organise a 'critical listening' area for next time, so that folk can try out the HD800's somewhere in peace & quiet. Some other ideas too that I'd like to implement also, but need to check out the viability of it all before I start announcing stuff...
biggrin.gif

That really is a great idea but i am not sure how practical. For example would it be one person in at a time and it would be easy for IEMs but would you have lug an amp, DAC and headphones in if you wanted try someone else's rig etc. If you can pull it off it would be great though!

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #110 of 134
Yea, A private listening area - or a small room where talking is encouraged to be kept to whispers, would be awesome. Out of all the open headphones that were open, only two impressed me when hearing them; the T1 (Offers a bit of isolation!?) and the orpheus which was so good in imaging within it's awesome soundstage that switching to the hd800 (playing the same song) felt like a drop in fidelity of at least a few levels. Honor to get to hear this headphone - probably won't get to again!

Got to also congratulate swimsonnys for his awesome table - I found it immensely useful especially as there were plenty of comply tips available so one could try out various earphones that I was on the fence about buying or not.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #112 of 134
I know people like GK do trade show booths that are soundproofed (as best as one can) but I don't imagine they come cheap or if they're rentable. You could bodge something together with a load of acoustic panels as well.... might just be easier to have a 'quiet room'.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #114 of 134
The bristol hifi show (Sound and vision) booked out the marriot hotel. 4 floors of it I think and most of the stands were located in separate rooms in fact. It was like each manufacturer had their own carpeted room, except the ones in the main ground level area who had stands. It was quite good as they were able to showcase their £50k speakers much more appropriately, although still a bit far from ideal.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #115 of 134
The bristol hifi show (Sound and vision) booked out the marriot hotel. 4 floors of it I think and most of the stands were located in separate rooms in fact. It was like each manufacturer had their own carpeted room, except the ones in the main ground level area who had stands. It was quite good as they were able to showcase their £50k speakers much more appropriately, although still a bit far from ideal.
Every hifi show has been like that for years and due to thin hotel rooms and subwoofers it just does not work, however with headphones it would

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #116 of 134
Indeed. Lack of sufficient room treatment is one of my gripes with your average speaker demonstration, at least in terms of hearing it at anything approaching full capability. It's why I cringe when I see a lot of people's high end stereo systems, as they've spent a mountain on gear and have plonked it in a spartan, minimalist room, seemingly unaware that the listening space is one of the most important things when it comes to what your ears end up hearing.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #118 of 134
Okay chaps, I'm getting closer to sorting it all out. For the next event, we will have a spread of manufacturers coming along who will all contribute to paying for the Hotel & Food, etc. So far, I have confirmation from four companies. Custom Cable should also be coming along - just awaiting confirmation from them and they should hopefully pay for the room - i just need to get the cash for everything else, including an extra room for critical listening, the food and various other bits & pieces which add up to a substantial sum.

I'll post up a new thread on it in due course and have some other ideas that I'd like to try out too - just thinking it through and the best way to implement.

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #119 of 134
Quote:
Okay chaps, I'm getting closer to sorting it all out. For the next event, we will have a spread of manufacturers coming along who will all contribute to paying for the Hotel & Food, etc. So far, I have confirmation from four companies. Custom Cable should also be coming along - just awaiting confirmation from them and they should hopefully pay for the room - i just need to get the cash for everything else, including an extra room for critical listening, the food and various other bits & pieces which add up to a substantial sum.

I'll post up a new thread on it in due course and have some other ideas that I'd like to try out too - just thinking it through and the best way to implement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back