London Calling meet impressions
Oct 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #61 of 110
spent a lot of time listening to the AK120 and the DX100 and having also had a listen to the tera player, you know I really think I am missing out on the capabilities of my IEMs, so I have just purchased the AK100 which I heard at April's HeadFi meet.
The K3003i's could also be a purchase for me in the future. It could be the missing link and would certasinly suit most of my listening which is done on the move these days.
Thanks especially to Turrican who let me have some extended listening time on his DX100 with the Westone 4s and his K3003i's. I think these top end DAPs and IEMs are raising the bar for sound quality on the move. Who knows, they may well end up being my end game and I can start properly downsizing...

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #62 of 110
Anymore pics? Maybe a gear list of what was there? 

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #64 of 110
Oct 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #65 of 110
Seems that I left too early. I always want to have an audition of TH900, but I missed it.

I vote Pioneer SX-1980 and HE-6 combo for the best of the meeting. I tried HD800 on the amp, but not as impressive as HE-6.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #66 of 110

I found the T5p's to not be at the HD800/PS1000's level in sound. Expected....but in terms of closed headphones....they sounded better/very close to my sig pro's. I tried the Alpha dogs which are obviously very good but couldn't get over the weight. Like 600g or something. I'd probably put the t5p (flukes), Sig pro and the Alpha dog's in the same bracket of 'The top sounding closed headphones' in my experience anyway.

The fact was that these T5p's were wildly different from the almost blasphemous sounding ones I'd had before. Definitely taken back. 

The PS1000 impressed me with their execution and presentation of the midrange. Their soundstage was vast, yet well layered and 'full' which is an improvement over the HD800's soundstage presentation. There was a tad too much sibilance to these grado's though, despite the dac/amp being on the warm side of things (arcam IRdac + Graham Slee UL Diamond).

Sorry for delay in saying thanks for replying with your impressions on that,  I liked the opened back Beyers on their table (cannot remember which model it was Approx £800 set) but if T5P been closed back would suit the bill while not polluting the air whilst my wife tries to watch re-runs of Friends for the ten thousandth time! 

I just wish I got around to going back to the A&K table to listen to the T5P now but it never panned out that way.... never enough time in the day at these meets (Hint to GSA! lol).  

it might be just out my reach for the PS1000's next year so the Beyers would be on the table or short list so to speak.  I think I could listen to the HD800 as well all day quite happily but if I was spending the cash I would lay my hat on the PS1000 with just what I heard with my test tracks.  

Interesting on the Alpha Dogs (which I didn't also get around to listening to) as they are a bit cheaper if i'm right but a much as I really liked the PS1000's they did feel a quite heavy also, wished they weighed in like the HD800's do.  

It's great to hear the T5p finally getting some recognition; it's probably one of the most under-estimated headphones out there.

Thanks for your impressions.

Really wished I had listened to them now!

Hey, you've got the Burson soloist SL - I'm sure they pair awesomely with the T5p's as I know this amp pretty well. A nice rounded figure with a large soundstage. 

I've obviously bought a T5p after having heard them, but based on past experience I can't really expect it to sound good. The past ones I heard were 2011/2012 models, but the one at the meet was from 2013.

So if I do end up going for a pair of T5P make sure it is a 2013 model then....

So no news on if Beyer did update/ modify the T5P at any stage then or does this point to maybe some possible QC process differences even though my past experience of Beyer is a very solid build with high sensitivity drivers that could be pushed all day long.  

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #67 of 110
spent a lot of time listening to the AK120 and the DX100 and having also had a listen to the tera player, you know I really think I am missing out on the capabilities of my IEMs, so I have just purchased the AK100 which I heard at April's HeadFi meet.
The K3003i's could also be a purchase for me in the future. It could be the missing link and would certasinly suit most of my listening which is done on the move these days.
Thanks especially to Turrican who let me have some extended listening time on his DX100 with the Westone 4s and his K3003i's. I think these top end DAPs and IEMs are raising the bar for sound quality on the move. Who knows, they may well end up being my end game and I can start properly downsizing...

Not sure how the k3003 will pair with the ak100 stock as they are very low impedance (8ohm) but your welcome to try next time we meet.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #68 of 110
Not sure how the k3003 will pair with the ak100 stock as they are very low impedance (8ohm) but your welcome to try next time we meet.

Thanks kindly, the need for a good match sounds like it will outweigh the yearning for a K3003i, I remember the rationale behind matching a high ohmage IEM with a high ohmage DAP.
One thing strikes me though, would my 100 ohm Etymotic adapter not pull the AKGs into behaving themselves?
Trev

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #69 of 110
Hope i make it next year, i feel ive missed out even more now having read this thread. Incidently May 24 is champions league final night, lets hope one of our teams is playng.  Could be great day for me if chelsea win it, and after meet, wow!

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #70 of 110

Sorry for delay in saying thanks for replying with your impressions on that,  I liked the opened back Beyers on their table (cannot remember which model it was Approx £800 set) but if T5P been closed back would suit the bill while not polluting the air whilst my wife tries to watch re-runs of Friends for the ten thousandth time! 

I just wish I got around to going back to the A&K table to listen to the T5P now but it never panned out that way.... never enough time in the day at these meets (Hint to GSA! lol).  

it might be just out my reach for the PS1000's next year so the Beyers would be on the table or short list so to speak.  I think I could listen to the HD800 as well all day quite happily but if I was spending the cash I would lay my hat on the PS1000 with just what I heard with my test tracks.  

Interesting on the Alpha Dogs (which I didn't also get around to listening to) as they are a bit cheaper if i'm right but a much as I really liked the PS1000's they did feel a quite heavy also, wished they weighed in like the HD800's do.  
Really wished I had listened to them now!

So if I do end up going for a pair of T5P make sure it is a 2013 model then....

So no news on if Beyer did update/ modify the T5P at any stage then or does this point to maybe some possible QC process differences even though my past experience of Beyer is a very solid build with high sensitivity drivers that could be pushed all day long.  

Time goes so fast at these meets, your right. The closer we got to the end the more gear I had to listen to! 
That open beyer - that's the T1. In my opinion it's a very good headphone for what it is, though I'm not sure on similarities between this and the T1's as I didn't manually compare them. Soon will be able to in more detail though :)

I'm a fan of burn in, having witnessed an effect on the T1's among other headphones. But for changes on this T5p scale - too much for burn in to solve IMO. Headfi seems to be very divided over the T5p's and stuff like this doesn't help. At this moment I don't even know where I stand on them!

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #73 of 110
I was blown away by Sonny's iem collection. Though he left the meet early.

I especially was excited by his rare ocharacku SUI iem which is a Japan only phone.
been finding it quite hard to concentrate over this week at work, doing research into how
the ocharacku range differ sonically. As you can imagine, there is not much information or
impressions, though both headfonia.com and ohmimage did good reviews of the upper models.

In any case thanks to zenpunk for his recommendation of musica acousitics. I've been in contact
with Dimitri and he will give me a report on the different models next week , as he is meeting the
engineers for a briefing on their latest model made together with Olosonic.

Thanks again for the great meet. The only disappointment was Shure not turning up with their SE846!

Oct 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #74 of 110

Thanks kindly, the need for a good match sounds like it will outweigh the yearning for a K3003i, I remember the rationale behind matching a high ohmage IEM with a high ohmage DAP.
One thing strikes me though, would my 100 ohm Etymotic adapter not pull the AKGs into behaving themselves?
Trev

Probably, but it might detract from the aesthetics having an adapter sticking out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back