London Calling meet impressions
Oct 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #48 of 110

How did you find the T5p's compared to the HD800's or PS1000's? 

I wanted to try the T5P but did not get around to it as that 4pm comes round very quickly but listened to the open back cans on the Beyer table as they was on my list of must listen to as I as I had a pair of late early 90's DT770 pro 600 ohm cans and enjoyed them for many years until I sold them to fund my only second pair of cans ever four years ago in the AKG702's so wanted to see f the current day Beyer sound had changed much at all despite there been that other dilemma of their choice in having open, closed or semi open back cans.  

I had more of a instant addiction to the PS1000 than maybe the HD800's or the open Beyers but with the HD800's I just think I may be to use to a warm fuzzy sound compared to the very detail exposing but yet not over analytical HD800's.  Maybe the PS1000 had a bit more hand made soul to its signature where the HD800 is a typical German scientific efficient machine feel to it's listening. Impressed by both but trying to split hairs when can only choose one! 

I found the T5p's to not be at the HD800/PS1000's level in sound. Expected....but in terms of closed headphones....they sounded better/very close to my sig pro's. I tried the Alpha dogs which are obviously very good but couldn't get over the weight. Like 600g or something. I'd probably put the t5p (flukes), Sig pro and the Alpha dog's in the same bracket of 'The top sounding closed headphones' in my experience anyway.

The fact was that these T5p's were wildly different from the almost blasphemous sounding ones I'd had before. Definitely taken back. 

The PS1000 impressed me with their execution and presentation of the midrange. Their soundstage was vast, yet well layered and 'full' which is an improvement over the HD800's soundstage presentation. There was a tad too much sibilance to these grado's though, despite the dac/amp being on the warm side of things (arcam IRdac + Graham Slee UL Diamond).

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #49 of 110
Speaking to the Hotel soon, so will see what's available first. Was this event okay format wise ? Will try and organise name badges too for next time and perhaps some stickers too.

Name badges would be great. Another thing - can we have more tables around the sides? This is where the power is and the extension leads. A few of the manufacturers can huddle up a bit like the ones selling cables/portable gear. I guess it's what space they need really.

If the food could be similar again it'll be a treat!

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #50 of 110
was there a headamp GSX MK 2 there by any chance? or a DNA Stratus?

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #51 of 110
Hello CantScareMe

Would you happen to know what DAC/Amp was driving the T5p at the Meet?

Cheers.

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #52 of 110
No fixed setup - I tried it on a few setups, including my phone and my beresford bushmaster DAC/AMP (modified towards low impedance cans).

A few others tried it on their setups and concluded in the same way - this thing is impressive especially compared to the past T5p's I've heard.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #53 of 110
Huge, huge thanks to GSARider for putting together this great event. Thanks!

I actually spent quite a lot of the day just catching up with my old Californian Head-Fi friend Grahame, whom I hadn't seen in 5+ years.  So my equipment impressions took something of a back seat.  Nonetheless I found the Final Audio Piano Forte in-ears extremely memorable - just amazing presence and clarity, so long as you didn't push them too far in volume or dynamics - and I thought the B&W P7 was a really substantial improvement over the already really enjoyable P5.  Everything good about the P5 but more so, essentially.

Sorry I didn't get to meet or speak with most of you.  I'm really looking forward to the next meet, and thanks again to GSARider.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #54 of 110
  No fixed setup - I tried it on a few setups, including my phone and my beresford bushmaster DAC/AMP (modified towards low impedance cans).

A few others tried it on their setups and concluded in the same way - this thing is impressive especially compared to the past T5p's I've heard.

It's great to hear the T5p finally getting some recognition; it's probably one of the most under-estimated headphones out there.

Thanks for your impressions.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #55 of 110
Hey, you've got the Burson soloist SL - I'm sure they pair awesomely with the T5p's as I know this amp pretty well. A nice rounded figure with a large soundstage. 

I've obviously bought a T5p after having heard them, but based on past experience I can't really expect it to sound good. The past ones I heard were 2011/2012 models, but the one at the meet was from 2013.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #56 of 110
  Hey, you've got the Burson soloist SL - I'm sure they pair awesomely with the T5p's as I know this amp pretty well. A nice rounded figure with a large soundstage. 

I've obviously bought a T5p after having heard them, but based on past experience I can't really expect it to sound good. The past ones I heard were 2011/2012 models, but the one at the meet was from 2013.

I'm sure the ones I have are either from 2013 or late 2012. I have the receipt back in Germany and will check when I return. All I know is they do sound fantastic. I don't feel the bass as much as I would like but the sound stage is mighty impressive for closed headphones.

Thank you. Yes, the Burson is doing a fine job driving the T5p. I'm in the market for a Dac and have a demo lined up for the NAD D1050 and Arcam irDac. :)

So, if I understand correct, you've re-purchased the T5p?

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #57 of 110
We want to see the video.
smily_headphones1.gif
  of the meeting.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #58 of 110

So, if I understand correct, you've re-purchased the T5p?

Yep. See what luck I have this time. I'll give it a longer run in too this time. 

..The ir dac. Should have spent more time with this at the meet as it would have been nice to compare to my rdac (not that I had it on me..). The rdac is smooth, laid back yet detailed and engaging enough and I wonder how the ir dac compares.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #60 of 110

Name badges would be great. Another thing - can we have more tables around the sides? This is where the power is and the extension leads. A few of the manufacturers can huddle up a bit like the ones selling cables/portable gear. I guess it's what space they need really.

If the food could be similar again it'll be a treat!

Working on it...should be better next time in terms of power points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back