London Calling meet impressions
Oct 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #76 of 110
Hey guys,

It was great meeting people last weekend. I thought the show was amazing. The Alpha Dogs were my particular highlight I think. 

I have written a review of the show. Check it out and please let me know what you think.

http://tmblr.co/ZWTZMqybHuD6

Cant wait for the next meet!

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #78 of 110
How did the JVC dual dynamic driver over the ear headphones sound BTW? 

I tried the in ears and over the ears from JVC. They were really nice guys at the table too.
The in ears were lacking bass and any superstar quality to my ears and needed better tips to make them perform.
The over the ears felt heavy but comfy in a squidgy way
The sound didn't get me that excited I'm afraid. I'm too used to crazy money hd800 and t1 and stax I guess.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #79 of 110
I quite liked the overear JVC's - sound was warm, but pretty good. I'd like to spend a bit more time with a pair, but was pleasantly surprised in the short time i had a listen.I'm considering getting a pair for my ever growing collection just to have a play...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #80 of 110
Hey guys, great meeting those of you I had chance to have a natter with last weekend. It was a fantastic day that went far too quickly.

Apologies we haven't had a chance to put the video together yet, but it's been a bit of a manic week. Don't worry though, I'm cracking the whip and Neill will be on this from Monday and we'll have an edit up early next week  :D

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #82 of 110
I quite liked the overear JVC's - sound was warm, but pretty good. I'd like to spend a bit more time with a pair, but was pleasantly surprised in the short time i had a listen.I'm considering getting a pair for my ever growing collection just to have a play...
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't argue with that Nadeem. I think my sigjts were elsewhere. I was determined to try out more portable stuff and to that end I really liked your set up of ak120 and ie800.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #85 of 110
Hi fortisflyer75 think it was my Vorzuge amp you used in April and yes a great amp. Tried the t5p with it and very sweet set up. Thinking of make my portable set smaller and going for the dac amp combo from Just audio. Did you get to try that amp?

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #88 of 110

Time goes so fast at these meets, your right. The closer we got to the end the more gear I had to listen to! 
That open beyer - that's the T1. In my opinion it's a very good headphone for what it is, though I'm not sure on similarities between this and the T1's as I didn't manually compare them. Soon will be able to in more detail though :)

I'm a fan of burn in, having witnessed an effect on the T1's among other headphones. But for changes on this T5p scale - too much for burn in to solve IMO. Headfi seems to be very divided over the T5p's and stuff like this doesn't help. At this moment I don't even know where I stand on them!

It does indeed, that's why GSA is going to add another six hours to the event! Lol.. well hopefully in real world it looks likely it could be an extra couple of hours anyway.  Burn in is not a myth but is for many, some only take double figures in hourage and then some can take an awful long marathon of hours into three digits to fully burn in with subtle changes on the way. Noticeable was with my old Double Helix cables with AKG 702's back in their day which had many subtle changes on their journey.  Cheers anyway on your insight on them,  I will will definitely take note on my list to listen to them at the next meet if there are a pair of T5p's there.  
  Hope i make it next year, i feel ive missed out even more now having read this thread. Incidently May 24 is champions league final night, lets hope one of our teams is playng.  Could be great day for me if chelsea win it, and after meet, wow!

Don;t worry, no English club will be in a final on the 24th of May so you will be able to spend time in the bar after the meet dreaming of headphones. 

Another good point though with possible engineering works that weekend and now with a Champions league final on top, what a weekend this could be for absenteeism! 

Hi fortisflyer75 think it was my Vorzuge amp you used in April and yes a great amp. Tried the t5p with it and very sweet set up. Thinking of make my portable set smaller and going for the dac amp combo from Just audio. Did you get to try that amp?

Ah, Rocketron (the lurker), it was you last time with the Grados which got me onto the Vorzuge?  Was meant to catch up with you but have to definitely catch up next time if you go in May.   Even more so I am kicking myself as I spent time the T5ps where on but never got around to plugging them into my Vorzuge amp due to trying to familiarise myself with the AK120 sig on my cans.  Ironically it was on a table with Grados at this meet that someone else was dying to finally get a  listen to the vorzuge and saw my one, so maybe he might end up with one also through a demo at a head-fi meet.  

What was that small amp you had with the Vorzuge last time, thought that was a Just audio amp? (although not a dac combo).  Did not get to listen to the Just Audio amp/dac though as was to busy with priority on the big toy rigs for a desktop set up for next year some time as feel the Vorzuge has really plugged a gap in my portable needs currently as well as still been happy with the TTVJ Slim amp alongside it which i still flick back and forth to. 

My next portable cash is set on a Sony ZX1 when it is released in Japan in December. 

If a porta amp was good enough with the built in dac I would be all ears but always do wonder how much possibly quality has to give way to cramming them both in a small box?   

Was surprised how well the PS1000's sounded on the small Vorzuge considering their price tag, but not before I actually found out their ohm's and how easy they are to drive despite their size & price  and was happy listening to them on the diddy little Gruber's German tank of an amp and was only left thinking how these would sound with a top amp/dac combo next to my armchair at home!  

Have to catch up next year and exchange notes instead of been passing headphones in the night...

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #89 of 110
What was the verdict on the Alphadogs ?

Good headphones definitely. They had a huge soundstage and layering is very good too. Others were saying that they sound neutral and that's the major part of the impression I formed after a short listen. They were not laid back at all with the trebe though and with these I would have preferred a slightly smoother sound to be honest. Their comfort was a bit lacking though - on the weight distribution front too. It says somewhere that they weigh in the 450g region, but to me they felt much more than that and heavier than the LCD2's even. More like 600g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back