London Calling meet impressions
Oct 20, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #16 of 110
Many thanks to those who organised the event.This was my first Head FI meet.I was really enjoying myself.
I was the guy with the Tera Player the only in the house :)
For me the best was the Hifiman HE-6 out of that solid state Pioneer amplifier from the 1980.
Thank you all again for everything and pleased I made new friends.
Looking forward for the next meet!
Levi

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #17 of 110
Many thanks to those who organised the event.This was my first Head FI meet.I was really enjoying myself.
For me the best was the Hifiman HE-6 out of that solid state Pioneer amplifier from the 1980.
Levi

I agree with the HE-6 out of that pioneer, that was stellar.

Unfortunately I didn't get to try the staxx but tried a few other pairs of headphones I hadn't, also talked to some incredible people and distributors. Justin from just audio was such a nice guy and he knows his stuff, very pleased to meet him.
Quadpatch was nice to meet you after such a long time, and I met a lot of people but don't know names unfortunately.

I was the one with very little on my table, mainly budget audio, the rockit sounds and JDS Labs amps among others

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #19 of 110
I didn't get to listen to the Smyth Realiser set up, though talking in the bar afterwards (you know who you are!) it sounds like an interesting "device" for future investigation albeit rather tricky to set up.

Main reason for chipping in now is to thank you Nadeem for creating this meet for us, we obviously get a lot of enjoyment and interest from these get togethers and we thank you so much for making it happen.  Big group hug from us to you.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #20 of 110
Levi

Hi Levi,
It was great you brought along the tera. What a legendary status it already has and it's going to be in extremely short supply by the sound of it. It is minimalist to a whole new level

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #21 of 110
What a great meet! 

I knew it would be good, but this one exceeded that I. Great to put faces to the many people I've come across on the forums - makes a real difference (!). The food was like what I'd have for lunch on a standard weekday with people sitting down in the food area to eat. Awesome. I also liked also how things were more spread out than last time where a more quieter, relaxed room meant for better listening with open headphones.

Russ Poole was great and I was impressed how with only his guitar was able to perform like that. I talked to him afterwards and He's a really nice guy, modest and honest. Wish him the best moving forwards.

I learnt a lot about a lot of gear. Don't know where to begin. 

I compared the ED9's with my sig pro's. There were plenty of similarities, where I felt like the sig pros were the ED9's bought down to earth a bit. Less tilted and more neutralised in the upper registers. Mr Q's Pioneer amp looked stunning and sounded like that too with the HE6. I liked the HE5le's better which was suprising. Sounded very good from my setup - very controlled and a well executed sound.
I had a long listen to Kyle 491's fostex th900 and of course, they're very good. The right pad still hits a pressure point under my right ear, preventing me from buying one myself (Weird/Annoying problem). Elton had a literally brand new K1000 which with orchestral music sounded special. Happy that I finally got the chance to listen to these headphones. 

Remember in the last meet how there were almost too many HD650's around - this time it was the HD800's probably (!). Not a bad thing at all though as it was easy to get a decent listen to these headphones again. I was surprised by the Grado table where the PS1000 especially sounded good. A slight bit too bright but their soundstage and midrange was very advanced. Enjoyable listen.

Probably the star of the show was the T5p for me. I had these last year. I demoed them a few months ago and the only word I had to describe them was 'bad.' The one at the meet though was a different beast all together. It was like they were a cross between a d7k and T1, where the soundstage was large, period. Huge soundstage for a closed headphone and it had so many other good qualities to it where it didn't sound bright or tizzy in treble and it had a solid bass response. 
The ones I had were burnt in for over 150hrs, so either the T5p's need a much longer burn in or there are some solid production variances between models. Interesting. 

Thanks a lot Nadeem for organising this and thanks to all those who attended / bought along their gear. Great meet.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #22 of 110
Thanks Nadeem for organizing this meet!

Please do it again, I would help you if you need it.

It was a great meet, loved the HE-6 out of the Pioneer SX1980 (is this correct?), very transparent, natural and holographic. Also liked the HD800 out of the HDVD800 combo, very immediate, transparent and detailed. Only the stage could have been a bit larger (personal preference). The Fostex TH900 suprised me on my LD MKII with rolled tubes. Worked pretty well with a nice ambience perception and really good bass weight. The Stax 07 out of the KGSSHV amp was phenomenal in terms of realism and transparency. I swore the strings were next to my ear, only I prefer a larger stage but if that's not your concern, then that setup was brilliant.
For myself I discovered a LINN silver cable I swapt into my gear and I loved the instrument separation, transparency and bass quality, nice one.

It was great to meet Head-fiers out there, I really enjoyed it.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #23 of 110
Hi guys thanks for a really great meet.Sorry could not catch up with every body, we're does the time go? Pleased FortisFlyer75 is using his Vorzuge amp wish I caught up with him would love to try the amp with ps1000. Next time please mate? Big thanks to Justin for taking the time to talk to me.His amps and dacs are great! Know we're my money is going from now on.He is such a nice guy. Thanks all so to the Grado men and for the cable much appreciated. Thank GSARider and the people how organise these events a really great day can't wait for the next one.So many other people to thank dealers and volunteers a big thank you. :):):)

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #24 of 110
Thanks to Nadeem and everybody involved in organising a great day.     Hi-fi and hi-drama round the tables!        Brilliant live music from a very brave performer,   FREE LUNCH   ( and you know what they say about those.......)    and some of us left with items we didn't arrive with....raffle prizes I mean!    What's not to like?         Particularally liked the Ultrasone Sig Pro's and the Bayer T5p for the ultimate expression of out-door audio......   although they are verging on the large side for the over 25 year old to be using on the tube?         Looking forward to further adventures in the land of Head-fi.......

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #28 of 110
I just did a little event coverage (including photos) of the meet-up on my blog:

http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/london-head-fi-meet-october.html

I'm thinking that I should get more people to pose for photos next time, only managed it with JVC in the end, but it worked well. I spent so much time talking to people who've loaned me stuff for reviews there (because I'd never met them before until yesterday!), that I didn't meet nearly enough head-fi people. To say I can't wait for the next show is a huge understatement!!

Once again, a big thank you to Nadeem and all who helped out - superb meet! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back