LOL at all the Beats bashers........
Mar 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #271 of 353
Quote:

I don't think so,

all the data at the required spectrums is there or not... if its not there then its the instrument wasnt used or it was mastered out but the music is still lossless it still has the content originally intended even if the master didnt do the job as was intended.

lossless from a technical point of view is moot, if it already meets its designed spec no one cares about all the extra bits we will never hear.

that already means nothing is lost in the first place

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #272 of 353
well speakers, headphones, iems have their limits too, even if you go as high as 192khz on your music, your speakers/headphones/iem may not even be able to reproduce it and 192khz may cause intermodulation distortion... just saying

This makes no sense to me. Care to elaborate?

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #273 of 353
Quote:
Here is a frequency response graph comparing the beat solos with a couple of the headphones that you mention in your post above.

Of course you could artifically add more bass with the headphones you mention with the use of an equalizer, but that isn't the point. You can do that with any headphone.

The point of a balanced headphone is that you won't have to mess around with the equalizer in order to find the right sound.

So...a straight line is best?? By the way...I was talking about the 325is which has significantly more bass than a 325i, in my opinion.

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #277 of 353

Quote:
So...a straight line is best?? By the way...I was talking about the 325is which has significantly more bass than a 325i, in my opinion.

That is the 325is. HeadRoom doesn't offer the SR325i, just the SR325is so I would assume the graph is of that. 

Also, a straight line is balanced. That isn't good or bad, it just is. If you like neutral, its good, if you prefer r/v/n/u/whatever shaped sound signatures, then it is bad. Since we are talking about Beats and headphones that are better than them, we should be looking for frequency response graphs that show a ton near the left, i.e. headphones for bassheads. 

Beats headphones are about to lose their 1miillion dollar headphone mascot.

Monster is losing Dr. Dre, but Beats Audio is its own thing. Monster already has other celebrities lined up as well. It seems like the Diamond Tears and other new stuff is a lot better than Beats (though still overpriced), but I haven't tried any of them so I'll reserve judgement until then. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #278 of 353
Quote:
That is the 325is. HeadRoom doesn't offer the SR325i, just the SR325is so I would assume the graph is of that. 

Also, a straight line is balanced. That isn't good or bad, it just is. If you like neutral, its good, if you prefer r/v/n/u/whatever shaped sound signatures, then it is bad. 

Monster is losing Dr. Dre, but Beats Audio is its own thing. Monster already has other celebrities lined up as well. It seems like the Diamond Tears and other new stuff is a lot better than Beats (though still overpriced), but I haven't tried any of them so I'll reserve judgement until then. 

for some reason the diamond tears looks more like toys to me than headphones, not trying to bash, just stating my honest opinion. i have however never listened to it neither so wont say anything about the sound

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #279 of 353
Quote:

I was referring to Lil Wayne.

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #280 of 353
I would actually put the Diamond Tears appearance a step above all of the Beats (maybe except for the Executives, those were pretty classy looking). Yes, they look blingy, but they don't look cheap and I really wouldn't be that embarrassed to go around wearing them. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #281 of 353
Quote:
What you're saying goes against the theorem that digital audio is based upon. Care to back it up?

Here's a really good video on digital audio that you should watch: https://www.xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml 
It contains demonstrations proving what you're saying wrong.

That links a popping a 404 error, do you have another?

Love the whole digital vs analog arguments. Particularly when the rather erroneous assumption that analog recordings are not samples is used:)

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #282 of 353
Quote:
I would actually put the Diamond Tears appearance a step above all of the Beats (maybe except for the Executives, those were pretty classy looking). Yes, they look blingy, but they don't look cheap and I really wouldn't be that embarrassed to go around wearing them. 

Bar cheapie earbuds I would say the diamond tears are the cheapest, plasticky looking headphone on the market. The look like they were designed by the kind of people who bejewel their staplers. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #283 of 353
which part do you not understand? 

How exactly does a higher sample rate, when converted to an analog electrical signal, cause distortion or overwhelm a headphone? That doesn't make any sense. Applying that logic to a pure analog recording, which would theoretically have a sample rate of infinity (because there is no sampling) would mean that all analog recordings are equipment killers.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #284 of 353
Quote:
That links a popping a 404 error, do you have another?

Love the whole digital vs analog arguments. Particularly when the rather erroneous assumption that analog recordings are not samples is used:)

Ah crap, looks like a space after the link was causing that. Edited it and it should work now, and so should this: https://www.xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #285 of 353
Quote:

How exactly does a higher sample rate, when converted to an analog electrical signal, cause distortion or overwhelm a headphone? That doesn't make any sense. Applying that logic to a pure analog recording, which would theoretically have a sample rate of infinity (because there is no sampling) would mean that all analog recordings are equipment killers.

Analog recordings are still bandlimited, moreso than your standard digital file. Way more than a 192kHz digital file. They have quite a bit of treble rolloff. 

The distortion would arise when a headphone is trying to reproduce a frequency that it is not really engineered to reproduce, which a 192kHz file is capable of producing. Really a worse case scenario though I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back