Loki Mini Impressions
Oct 16, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #841 of 1,011
The Loki would be there for both scenarios. But you pick your headphones based on preference, so normally they sound the way you want. It's the tracks that are sometimes too much in one area of the frequency range and the Loki comes in. I highly recommend it. I can't see anyone regretting a Loki purchase.
I wish there was one for balanced setups...

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #842 of 1,011
Oct 16, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #843 of 1,011
Thank you, actually I am also planning to get the HD 600 once it goes on sale so now I am not sure if the Loki will still be a good fit for my use (will make a separate post soon about this)

I also listen to different genres of tracks in random order rather than just a single album in a session, so does this mean I'll be using the Loki for every track, or should I use it more to adjust for the headphones' weaknesses?

Thank you, come to think of it, my Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro does have its bass sliders that help adjust the amount of bass. Am I right to say that the Loki can also help in a similar manner?

Also, "audiophile correct" seems nearly impossible to attain I think
Yes, even with the HD-6xx series, Loki is a dream come true. It’s a lot of fun, but all cans benefit, and all our ears are different. I find the Beyers too bright, but Loki tames that, among other things. Best 150 I’ve spent...

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #844 of 1,011
I basically just use it to add bass and take down treble.

Thanks, it seems that I will want to do the reverse for my setup/tastes

I have used EQ's over the years that would add bass until it distorts. The Loki is much more subtle. IMO, you can improve the HD600 with some added bass, depending on the amp that you are using.

Ah I see, I too used to have EQs that are like that and this was why I was hesitant with future EQ hardware/software. Thanks for confirming that it wont behave like that. Though, does this mean that it also cannot correct more serious issues (e.g. those that needeed really more bass)?

The Loki would be there for both scenarios. But you pick your headphones based on preference, so normally they sound the way you want. It's the tracks that are sometimes too much in one area of the frequency range and the Loki comes in. I highly recommend it. I can't see anyone regretting a Loki purchase.

Thanks, so it seems I'll still need to shop around for the headphones I want, and then use Loki to tweak as per needed. Not that it is a bad thing :wink:

Yes, even with the HD-6xx series, Loki is a dream come true. It’s a lot of fun, but all cans benefit, and all our ears are different. I find the Beyers too bright, but Loki tames that, among other things. Best 150 I’ve spent...

Thanks, thankfully my Beyers don't seem to have this issue but sounds like it may need a treble boost

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #845 of 1,011
Thanks, it seems that I will want to do the reverse for my setup/tastes

Ah I see, I too used to have EQs that are like that and this was why I was hesitant with future EQ hardware/software. Thanks for confirming that it wont behave like that. Though, does this mean that it also cannot correct more serious issues (e.g. those that needeed really more bass)?

Thanks, so it seems I'll still need to shop around for the headphones I want, and then use Loki to tweak as per needed. Not that it is a bad thing :wink:

Thanks, thankfully my Beyers don't seem to have this issue but sounds like it may need a treble boost

Just addressing my part of that, it provides all the bass that I need. I am not a basshead and do not like hip hop or EDM. But when a drummer nails that drum I want to at least hear it, if not feel it.
Mids/vocals are the most important thing to me, but a good strong bass is second.

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #846 of 1,011
Just addressing my part of that, it provides all the bass that I need. I am not a basshead and do not like hip hop or EDM. But when a drummer nails that drum I want to at least hear it, if not feel it.
Mids/vocals are the most important thing to me, but a good strong bass is second.

Same here, sometimes I need a little help with differentiating vocals with the music

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #847 of 1,011
Now that I have a bit more time to read up on the Loki and EQing as a whole, here's what I think and/or want to know more about regarding the Loki:

1.If I want to adjust the mids (since some reviews seem to show that the lack of mids may be an weakness of my current and future gear), which knob should I use?
2. I have actually went back to using EQ software and found that the EqualizerAPO + Peace extension to be a joy, especially if I am using the preset generated from the hearing test feature. Has anyone here tried using these along with the Loki?
3. Can the Loki help me separate the vocals from videos too? I am thinking of using this to help me listen to foreign languages better so that I can learn and understand what is spoken better

For reference, here's the gear I am using and am intending to get
Current
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Sennhieser IE80
Superlux HD668B
JBL LSR305 (1st Gen)

Future
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
Sennhieser HD600

I am thankful for the advice so far by the way, it led me to read up about EQ a lot and made me realise that there is more to audio than simply "better" gear

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #848 of 1,011
Now that I have a bit more time to read up on the Loki and EQing as a whole, here's what I think and/or want to know more about regarding the Loki:

1.If I want to adjust the mids (since some reviews seem to show that the lack of mids may be an weakness of my current and future gear), which knob should I use?
2. I have actually went back to using EQ software and found that the EqualizerAPO + Peace extension to be a joy, especially if I am using the preset generated from the hearing test feature. Has anyone here tried using these along with the Loki?
3. Can the Loki help me separate the vocals from videos too? I am thinking of using this to help me listen to foreign languages better so that I can learn and understand what is spoken better

For reference, here's the gear I am using and am intending to get
Current
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Sennhieser IE80
Superlux HD668B
JBL LSR305 (1st Gen)

Future
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
Sennhieser HD600

I am thankful for the advice so far by the way, it led me to read up about EQ a lot and made me realise that there is more to audio than simply "better" gear

To learn more about the Loki, just Google "Loki manual".
That PDF file should answer most of your questions. Or just go to Schiit.com.

I have no knowledge of your headphones.

I don't think the Loki can "pull" vocals out, but it can accent them a little more.

I do 90% of my listening away from a computer so I need a physical EQ and I like the Affordable price.

Oct 18, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #849 of 1,011
To learn more about the Loki, just Google "Loki manual".
That PDF file should answer most of your questions. Or just go to Schiit.com.

I have no knowledge of your headphones.

I don't think the Loki can "pull" vocals out, but it can accent them a little more.

I do 90% of my listening away from a computer so I need a physical EQ and I like the Affordable price.

1. Actually that was the very first thing I read the moment I saw the Loki on the Schiit website before I started posting here
2. Thanks, I am just putting out this info as it appears that not all headphones/speakers work well with EQ; might be good to see if my stuff are of that category
3. Thanks for confirming, I think this accenting may be enough for my use
4. Good point, sometimes I do want to listen from non-computer sources too (e.g. game consoles)

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #855 of 1,011
Weird question time: Has the Loki curbed any desire to do tube rolling? I wonder if the Loki's tone controls play a bigger part in the sound than using different tubes in a tube amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back