Loki Mini Impressions
Oct 5, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #107 of 1,011
A couple of mine are very slightly off center. Didn’t notice it until it was brought up.

But can you un-see it now?

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #109 of 1,011
I doubt the knobs went off center during shipping but also can't image Schiit sending Lokis out without everything correctly at 12 o'clock.

Haven't ordered mine yet and don't expect absolute perfection for $150 but those knobs are the whole point of this.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #110 of 1,011
I doubt the knobs went off center during shipping but also can't image Schiit sending Lokis out without everything correctly at 12 o'clock.

Haven't ordered mine yet and don't expect absolute perfection for $150 but those knobs are the whole point of this.

The knobs pull off the shaft quite easily. If you were to do that on all of them, like I did, it's easy to see that the pots underneath aren't really aligned/centered that well. It's not really something that Schiit has had to worry about before. Who cares if a volume knob isn't quite "centered". But this is something they're going to have to pay more attention to in the future, especially if they intend to make a Loki Uber.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #111 of 1,011

Thanks. Very interesting read. He sure has a strong opinion and not one to hold back. But this part I don't understand: "Digital equalizers SUCK. A to Ds in front, resolution loss in the middle, D to As on the ass end..." Unless we're talking vinyl players, there is no A to Ds.

For an analog purist, Mike sure makes some great DACs.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #113 of 1,011
Thanks. Very interesting read. He sure has a strong opinion and not one to hold back. But this part I don't understand: "Digital equalizers SUCK. A to Ds in front, resolution loss in the middle, D to As on the ass end..." Unless we're talking vinyl players, there is no A to Ds.

Being a digital guy means Mike knows better than most when a digital device is not appropriate to use compared to an analog device.

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #114 of 1,011

Mike does have deep analog roots, and was even a leader of the tube revival in the '70s. But Mike is also known as "the Father of the DAC". Well, Jason calls him that anyway. Mike designed the very first standalone DAC, the Theta Digital DSPre, was the first to identify jitter, and has a long list of other analog and digital firsts attached to his name.

Obviously there were DACs before the DSPre, inside other equipment. In fact, Mike bought one of the first CD players in Japan — a year before they appeared in the US — and brought it home to tear apart, in an effort to figure out why it "really did sound like bats with clothespins on their testicles". He then set about fixing the problem.

So yes, there's a reason we listen to him, and to his products: so we don't go bats.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #115 of 1,011
OK, my 400 Hz knob is every-so-slightly misaligned. Thanks a lot guys, now I'll never be able to un-see that. :)

I do most of this by feel though, and usually set-and-forget it, on for speakers and off for headphones.

loki-knob-alignment.jpg

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #117 of 1,011
Mine came today, along with the Magni3. Had the last Magni, but wanted to outs to speakers my old unit didn't have. Honestly don't care if the Loki's knobs aren't perfectly straight. As long as it doesn't affect it doing it's job. I have used digital eq in the past, but it's a bother considering I am currently using the Windows Media player. Close it down to the smaller frame, then open the eq, then open the frame back up again when done. More stupid Windows design ideas. Anyway, will use it this weekend and give sound opinions after.

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #118 of 1,011
This is a $150 dollar sonically excellent EQ. The pots have detents in them, so you can feel the true center. Would you rather pay more for straighter knobs? I'm glad the money went to the components and design and not to a more expensive assembly process that ensures the knobs are straight. Remember, $150. Not 200, not 349...

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #119 of 1,011
This is a $150 dollar sonically excellent EQ. The pots have detents in them, so you can feel the true center. Would you rather pay more for straighter knobs? I'm glad the money went to the components and design and not to a more expensive assembly process that ensures the knobs are straight. Remember, $150. Not 200, not 349...

It's BASIC quality control, you're assembling it anyway, while you're at it why not just do it properly.

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #120 of 1,011
It's BASIC quality control, you're assembling it anyway, while you're at it why not just do it properly.

The knobs don't have set screws, they are pressed on to the shaft (not trivial to keep straight). To ensure they are straight, they would have had to use a pot with a flat on the shaft as well as set screws for the knobs, increasing price and assembly time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back