Loki Mini Impressions
Aug 12, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #781 of 1,011
i agree with some a bigger unit would be awesome i use two loki's at the moment. i got lucky with one the knobs are dead perfect the other has a couple off center a bit

I don't need bigger, but would love a balanced one.

Shane D

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #782 of 1,011
I bought my unit 2nd hand here on Head-Fi from someone who was selling the entire Schiit stack. It looks like new except the four buttons are not exactly centered in their holes, meaning there is more of a gap on one side than the other of each dial. Is this common to all Loki units?
Some more than others...

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #783 of 1,011
I got mine yesterday and it's perfect. No gaps. No wonky knobs. It's perfect. I'm fact it came as new even tho it was refurb. I got a good price on it too. About to hook it up now.

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #784 of 1,011
I bought my unit 2nd hand here on Head-Fi from someone who was selling the entire Schiit stack. It looks like new except the four buttons are not exactly centered in their holes, meaning there is more of a gap on one side than the other of each dial. Is this common to all Loki units?
What you have there is the special edtion 'Loki Mini FA'*

* Friday Afternoon

Aug 15, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #785 of 1,011
What you have there is the special edtion 'Loki Mini FA'*

* Friday Afternoon

Funny. Here are the photos. After taking these I opened the 4 top screws and took a look. Turns out I can re-position the silver top slightly (when putting the screws back on) to get the dials to be centered, but then it would hang 1/2 a mm to one side. So I guess it is just that the way this unit came out. Otherwise it is perfect. By the way, has anyone else noticed that there is a tiny 1/2 mm (again) gap horizontally in the lower part of the unit where the silver cover meets the bottom case? This must be for cooling?

20190815_115830.jpg 20190815_115840.jpg 20190815_115843.jpg

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #786 of 1,011
Funny. Here are the photos. After taking these I opened the 4 top screws and took a look. Turns out I can re-position the silver top slightly (when putting the screws back on) to get the dials to be centered, but then it would hang 1/2 a mm to one side. So I guess it is just that the way this unit came out. Otherwise it is perfect. By the way, has anyone else noticed that there is a tiny 1/2 mm (again) gap horizontally in the lower part of the unit where the silver cover meets the bottom case? This must be for cooling?

almost looks like the case is install a little off of where it should be, that is odd. I am sure it doesn't hurt anything tho

I have had such good luck with refurb electronics. Mine even came with a seal from Schitt. In fact I think it's better to get refurb stuff if it's from the company who made the product because then you know a person that works for them is touching it and having some one on one time with it before you purchase. Otherwise when you get it new it may just come off of a production line and boxed up and never looked at on a per unit basis.

Aug 16, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #787 of 1,011
I've developed a hum from the Loki. If the Loki is on, there is hum coming from my speakers. If I turn the bypass switch on the front of the Loki off, or power the Loki off, then the hum stops. I've checked all my components and the Loki is the only one that does it, even if it's the only thing connected. I've got my Loki, Mimby. and Mani all powered by a Cthulu. Any thoughts on how I can eliminate the hum? Trying a different power source isn't ideal, since I have limited space and everything is plugged in to the same socket.

Aug 16, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #788 of 1,011
I've developed a hum from the Loki. If the Loki is on, there is hum coming from my speakers. If I turn the bypass switch on the front of the Loki off, or power the Loki off, then the hum stops. I've checked all my components and the Loki is the only one that does it, even if it's the only thing connected. I've got my Loki, Mimby. and Mani all powered by a Cthulu. Any thoughts on how I can eliminate the hum? Trying a different power source isn't ideal, since I have limited space and everything is plugged in to the same socket.

If you can't change the power situation I would consider trying / changing the RCA cables and see if it makes a difference. If they are older the shielding may not be holding up, or maybe something else is getting older and the shielding isn't stopping the interfereace anymore. Could be many things but, changing RCA's in and out would be a good place to look.

I use a 1,500 VA Cyber Power sinewave UPS to power my audio gear - it has a built in AVR. Without a device specially designed to "clean" the power, I find a UPS to be a nice solution and noise free in my experience.

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #790 of 1,011
well, at least you found your culprit. i am sure it's the same interference it's just the Mani it isn't as audible or transparent as the Loki since . Very little circuity in the Loki that it has to go through.

Looks like the Mani is known to have a hum - at least looking at Amazon reviews. I dont do records so, I don't know a lot about it.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #792 of 1,011
Nov 7, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #793 of 1,011
Nov 11, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #794 of 1,011
I like and still use my Loki quite frequently. However, for my main music system, I've added in the Mini DSP 2x4 HD module. It sits between the pre-amp and my amplifier. It has 2 RCA inputs, and 4 RCA outputs that can be configured. I've set 2 of the outputs to direct to my SVS SB-2000 subwoofers, and the other 2 outputs to my amplifier. It allows you to adjust the crossover points (24dB, 12,dB slope, etc.) as well as assign several parametric IQ settings. The device is just $208 from most vendors and includes a 12V adapter. You perform the initial setup of the Mini DSP with your computer, then save the settings to the Mini DSP box and the computer is no longer required. There's a lesser cost option - the 2x4, but not the HD model and it doesn't include the power adapter, so I believe there would be a few issues with keeping those configurations saved without keeping your laptop connected. The lesser cost option is about $110. The lesser cost 2x4 unit is adjustable with .9v and 2v output voltage on the RCA connectors. The 2x4 HD is set to 2V, by default, but can be changed via a jumper adjustment (inside the box) for a 4V pre-out to the RCA outputs, if desired.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #795 of 1,011
Does anyone know what the bass tone control on the Loki actually does?

The Loki specs are
Bands: 20Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, 8kHz
Adjustment: +/-12dB at 20Hz and 8kHz, +/-6dB at 400Hz and 2kHz

It doesn't make sense that the bass tone is centered at 20hz, so this doesn't provide any useful information. I contacted Schiit to see if they had any frequency response graphs of the tone effects, like JDS Labs has for the Subjective 3

2019-02-07.17-52-20.ol-eq-curves.pdf

Schiit customer support just quoted the specs back at me.

Perhaps someone knows where the tone control is centered and what slope it has?

Sorry if this question has already been answered. I did skim through the first half of this discussion thread, but didn't see any relevant information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back