Loki Mini Impressions
May 12, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #511 of 1,011
So here's my take on the Loki after using it all week vs an Audio Control 520B from 1980.Note that I am old school and have always had a quality equalizer in all my systems over the years

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/audio-control/model-520.shtml

The 520B was a USA made 5 band EQ that was as different from its low rent competition of the day as it is similar to the new Loki.
It retailed for $120 then, so figure $380 in 2018 value. 5 rotary pots per channel with the 3 bass and 1 treble having Q ratings of 2.65-3.40 (1 octave) while the mid control was broader with a Q of 1.5 (2 octave). All bands had an adjustment range of +/- 12-15db , so the possibility was there that the user could seriously screw up the sound with an overheavy hand.The 520B also included a very effective Chebychev brickwall subsonic filter,very useful back in the vinyl is king days for the gross arm/cartridge resonance mismatches which did - and still do - occur.
Note there is no power switch, there was a practical reason for this which Schiit alludes to in their Loki write up. (non-buffered tape outputs) Perhaps the always on power supply has helped with longevity, mine is 38 years old and working perfectly.

The Loki,of course, needs no introduction here.

My cobbled together desk system consists of Mimimus 7W's (original Japan production run) and a Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble IV passive subwoofer. Amp is a Dayton mini-D with an OK 1/4" headphone output., 15wpc. DAC is the Modi2. Headphone used are Senn HD558 and PX200ii along with newly arrived Hifiman Edition S.

Overall, the 520B was far more effective in EQing the speakers. Keep in mind that it was designed for the 2 way acoustic suspension designs of the 70's.
The Loki was slightly more effective in EQing headphones and much easier to adjust. With my speakers, it wasn't as pleasing as the 520B. I'll assume it was designed with the headphone market in mind.
Neither EQ added any sonic nastys at any time.

For those unfamiliar with using outboard EQ's, remember that your ears will always think a louder signal is a better sound. If Schiit makes a larger Loki, maybe they'll include Soundcraftsmen's Differential Comparator circuit which allows you to adjust the output gain after EQing to exactly what is was pre-EQ?

Anyway, Loki is now going home where it will initially be used between my B&K amp and pre. Further fun to follow!

I've had my Loki Mini for about a month now. It's fantastic. I find digital EQ on many devices to muddy up the sound - a bass boost might bleed into the mids, for example. The Loki does none of that. It's actually pretty subtle, until you flick the bypass switch and realize how it's actually affecting the sound.

I think this might be my favourite piece of Schiit. I have many small pieces of Schitt - Mimby, Vail 2, Mani, Sys, Magni 2 Uber, and Loki, and while the other stuff is great, the Loki just works wonders.

I’m having a blast screwing around with my Loki. For the curious, the following is my method:
a. I hit the books. I borrowed a copy of Home Studio Recording For Dummies from my library. It had an entire chapter on equalizing ones' work. I made copies of Tables 14-1 (EQ Frequency Sound Characteristics) and Table 14-2 (EQ Recommendations per Instrument [15 different ones]).
b. Add labels to my Loki. 1, 2, 3, 4 to match the knobs.
c. I used Schiit's Loki manual to define "bass", " mid-bass", "mid-range", and "treble".
d. Now the interpretation starts: I attempted to match the Loki's adjustment frequencies (20 Hz, 400 Hz, 2 kHz, and 8kHz) to tables 14-1 and 14-2.
e. When I want to "add body or depth"... or "reduce muddiness"... or "cut sibilance [whatever that is]", I use my tables and gently muck about with the appropriate knob.
loki-learning.png

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #513 of 1,011
Hey @Jason Stoddard, how come my new Loki Mini's case has a completely different sheen than my Magni 3 and Mimby?

And are you still shipping the SYS with a case that doesn't match the rest of your 5"x3.5" components? I've been holding off on one, hoping to see one that matched. Maybe add $20 to the price for those who would like the matching aesthetics? :L3000:

May 12, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #514 of 1,011
Hey @Jason Stoddard, how come my new Loki Mini's case has a completely different sheen than my Magni 3 and Mimby?

And are you still shipping the SYS with a case that doesn't match the rest of your 5"x3.5" components? I've been holding off on one, hoping to see one that matched. Maybe add $20 to the price for those who would like the matching aesthetics? :L3000:
I received my SYS this month... it had a beefy steel alloy case (unlike the lighter bushed aluminum chasis). Meh... It sits under my Modi Multibit. Doing its thing.

May 13, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #515 of 1,011
I received my SYS this month... it had a beefy steel alloy case (unlike the lighter bushed aluminum chasis). Meh... It sits under my Modi Multibit. Doing its thing.

Thanks for that info. My Schiit Stack™ already looks like Neapolitan ice cream. :beyersmile:

May 19, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #517 of 1,011
I heard the Loki @canjam NYC under typical show conditions (louder than my home office, but not nearly as loud as the center hall exhibitors). I was using an above average headphone (Aeon Flow Open) to check it out. Here's what I heard:
  • With the 4 pots set to center position (zero effect), then switching the Loki in & out of the circuit, there was zero difference in sound quality apart from a tiny volume difference w/it in line.
  • With the Loki in the circuit, listening to bass-heavy, well recorded pop (Michael Jackson's Thriller), rotating the volume knob to right (increasing bass volume) revealed a rather subtle sound change. Other than a slight uptick in volume of selected bass range, no change in bass quality, tonality, etc.
  • Turning the bass knob even further just increased the bass volume somewhat more. I didn't succeed in making the AFO's bass sound cartoonish or bloated. If there's any distortion coming from the Loki, I certainly didn't hear it.
  • Effects of the other 3 pots were very similar: subtle & not changing sound quality in any real way.

Evidently the slopes of each volume pot are shallow, and these devices are well designed/implemented, because the overall effects are subtle & not harmful to sound quality.

Though I didn't try the HD800 w/the Loki, my guess would be its effect would be subtle and positive.

Just a guess...and my exposure to the Loki was relatively brief & during show conditions, so take this w/a grain of salt.

May 19, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #518 of 1,011
Would the Loki distort the bass / disturbs other frequencies of the HD800s? Planning to use it to boost some bass.

The Loki will not "... distort the bass / disturbs other frequencies of the HD800s". I have been using a Loki with HD800s for some months now.

May 20, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #519 of 1,011
The Loki has let me listen too my HE500s again. As much as I liked those cans, I eventually stopped because the treble region started getting really "hot" after a short while, so I could never listen long without wanting to pull them off my head. Which made me sad as I spent more money trying to find "that sound" I was looking for. (But never did)

Then I put the Loki between the black Bimby and black Jot (sad to not have a black Eitr or Loki). Played around a lot with every knob.

Finally realized I needed just a small change - not to make the table regions calmer, but just round up the bass a little. Ticked 20hz to 2 oclock. Ticked 400 hz to 1 oclock. Really just a nice gentile lift, nothing dramatic.

Bam. I can now listen for hours still loving everything I used to like about them, now just more pleasant ('more balanced' to my ears).

I think in retrospect, before I would just turn them up too loud, trying to find a stronger bass presence.

I never got digital eq right before as it was too easy to make huge peaks and valleys looking for a change, which just screwed up the whole sound. I think it was brilliant to have the changes be gradual as you initially turn them for fine tweaks.

Thanks @Jason Stoddard !

(Edit: stupid phone keyboard typos)

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #523 of 1,011
The Loki has let me listen too my HE500s again. As much as I liked those cans, I eventually stopped because the treble region started getting really "hot" after a short while, so I could never listen long without wanting to pull them off my head. Which made me sad as I spent more money trying to find "that sound" I was looking for. (But never did)

Then I put the Loki between the black Bimby and black Jot (sad to not have a black Eitr or Loki). Played around a lot with every knob.

Finally realized I needed just a small change - not to make the table regions calmer, but just round up the bass a little. Ticked 20hz to 2 oclock. Ticked 400 hz to 1 oclock. Really just a nice gentile lift, nothing dramatic.

Bam. I can now listen for hours still loving everything I used to like about them, now just more pleasant ('more balanced' to my ears).

I think in retrospect, before I would just turn them up too loud, trying to find a stronger bass presence.

I never got digital eq right before as it was too easy to make huge peaks and valleys looking for a change, which just screwed up the whole sound. I think it was brilliant to have the changes be gradual as you initially turn them for fine tweaks.

Thanks @Jason Stoddard !

So Loki = less Audio Nervosa and more Musical Pleasure...and a big step in the direction of the demystification of audio. In other words, really good Schiit.

Great post.

May 21, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #524 of 1,011

Thanks @Jason Stoddard !

Could you simply do this with a software equaliser ? What makes loki better aside form convenience of physical knobs ?

May 21, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #525 of 1,011

Thanks @Jason Stoddard !

any chance of a photo or two of your setup? I'm interested in seeing how the Loki sits amongst its larger cousins!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back