Logitech's Squeezebox Touch - opinions sought on quality
Apr 17, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #31 of 314
Thanks for your inputs. I just found this clock upgrade kit on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Squeezebox-Touch-twin-output-Micro-low-jitter-clock-/270652188684
This looks really interesting to me.

It runs two clocks for 44.1k and 48k and the multiples from these (as the stock one does).
This price is also interesting - however the Audio-GD Digital Interface (version A, USD190) is great value (for what it is) compared to this.

Also found this complete digital upgrade offer from the same company:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Squeezebox-Touch-upgrades-LEVEL-1-/270652400619?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item3f0423e3eb

I wonder if the extra 115 pounds is worth it ...

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #32 of 314

Quote:
I use wireless on the system listed in my sig; wireless might be less good because the wireless receptor has to be on, but the idea of a PC close to the Touch and DAC somehow doesn't feel right to me.
If the PC is placed near the audio system a digital interface sure makes sense to me, as shielded cables and power filters would do. If you use USB I think the need for an interface would grow.
Please note all these are assumptions from me and I've no experience in practice

Quote:
The idea of keeping the PC away from everything is interesting to me as well. I can't say that I've really noticed any noise or problems associated with the PC being in close proximity, but the idea still seems unappealing. I know the jitter measurements are equally low regardless of the connection so it just makes sense to keep it somewhere else and stream wireless.

My comp is far away from my rig out of necessity.  It's just in another room, and my main rig is next to my bed.  There are a few people out there that believe that you're better off running a network cable to the SB Touch rather than using wi-fi, but how significant a change that would represent is, of course, subjective.  I might experiment sometime to see if I notice any improvements.

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs. I just found this clock upgrade kit on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Squeezebox-Touch-twin-output-Micro-low-jitter-clock-/270652188684
This looks really interesting to me.

It runs two clocks for 44.1k and 48k and the multiples from these (as the stock one does).
This price is also interesting - however the Audio-GD Digital Interface (version A, USD190) is great value (for what it is) compared to this.

Also found this complete digital upgrade offer from the same company:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Squeezebox-Touch-upgrades-LEVEL-1-/270652400619?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item3f0423e3eb

I wonder if the extra 115 pounds is worth it ...

Worth it is totally relative.  It's likely a case of diminishing returns where you hit a certain level and the more you spend the less you get.  Regardless, I'm still thinking of sending my Touch off to get modded at Bolder Cables, just out of curiosity.  Do I think it'll be be a 100% improvement in sound?  Nope.  But squeezing that last 10% or so of sound you want out of a system usually gets stupidly expensive, in my experience, so it's all relative.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #33 of 314

Quote:
Regardless, I'm still thinking of sending my Touch off to get modded at Bolder Cables, just out of curiosity.  Do I think it'll be be a 100% improvement in sound?  Nope.  But squeezing that last 10% or so of sound you want out of a system usually gets stupidly expensive, in my experience, so it's all relative.

My Touch is at Bolder Cables right now.  I won't be able to give an opinion before vs. after mods, though, because I never tried it without the mods.  Mail ordered a new Touch and had it sent straight to Wayne.  I am looking forward to comparing the Bolder modded Touch to the Bolder Modded SB3.  I'll sync the two players and then send them both in as separate inputs to my Benchmark DAC-1 Pre, so I'll be able to flip back and forth to hear one vs. the other.  Hoping that for 2496 the difference will be quite dramatic, as one will be downsampled, the other not.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #34 of 314

Quote:
My Touch is at Bolder Cables right now.  I won't be able to give an opinion before vs. after mods, though, because I never tried it without the mods.  Mail ordered a new Touch and had it sent straight to Wayne.  I am looking forward to comparing the Bolder modded Touch to the Bolder Modded SB3.  I'll sync the two players and then send them both in as separate inputs to my Benchmark DAC-1 Pre, so I'll be able to flip back and forth to hear one vs. the other.  Hoping that for 2496 the difference will be quite dramatic, as one will be downsampled, the other not.

Cool.  From what I've read of the opinions of others, the mod mostly shines with 24/96, but has some improvements otherwise as well.  Since I'll probably just send Wayne my current Touch and make do for a few weeks with my unmodded SB3, I'll have a slight chance to notice differences before and after the mod.  Actually, come to think of it, one of the other local head-fiers that lives like 10 minutes from me has a SB Touch too.  If his isn't modded, maybe I'll bug him about doing a mini meet if and when I get the mod done.

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #35 of 314
Quote:
Worth it is totally relative.  It's likely a case of diminishing returns where you hit a certain level and the more you spend the less you get.  Regardless, I'm still thinking of sending my Touch off to get modded at Bolder Cables, just out of curiosity.  Do I think it'll be be a 100% improvement in sound?  Nope.  But squeezing that last 10% or so of sound you want out of a system usually gets stupidly expensive, in my experience, so it's all relative.

I just ordered the clock circuit from Fidelity Audio:
- and not the extra five capacitors and labour costing me £115 plus shipment of the SBT.
Since I am only going to use the SBT as digital player (coax out) to a DAC, there is no point in going for a Bolder Cables upgrade for me.
Reviews of PSU upgrades for the SBT that I have read, say that upgrading the PSU just barely improves the analog out, and is totally wasted for digital out.
The Audio-GD Digital Interface doesn't take 88.2kHz files, so that made the decision easy for me.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #37 of 314

Quote:
Wayne offers a digital-only mod package, for use cases exactly like yours (and mine, mine is going coax to DAC as well).

Ditto.  I usually use optical TOSLINK to feed my Assemblage DAC.  Like I said, I'm not going for world-changing improvements at this point.  I like a lot of what's there in the chain so I'm mostly doing tweaks.  Course I'll have a different amp in the chain here within the next two months, so the timing may be a little longer.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #38 of 314

Quote:
Wayne offers a digital-only mod package, for use cases exactly like yours (and mine, mine is going coax to DAC as well).

What does he charge?  I used ASI-Teknologies for my Transporter mods (and subsequently a repair due to a faulty PS Audio PPP) and they work really cheap and did a really good job.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #40 of 314
Is there a thread that has the A/B comparison for SBT's internal DAC vs external DACs? I have seen many people said the internal dac is very good and the external dac won't change much of the sound if it is under 1000 or so. Is that true? If so I'll save the money on the DAC then.

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #42 of 314
Is there a thread that has the A/B comparison for SBT's internal DAC vs external DACs? I have seen many people said the internal dac is very good and the external dac won't change much of the sound if it is under 1000 or so. Is that true? If so I'll save the money on the DAC then.

Yes and no; the internal dac is really nice, big enthusiastic sound, but lacking a little bit in refinement, giving a slightly grainy treble and not very much depth, but I find it enjoyable, and prefer it to some far more expensive dac- only components.

However,I find my Rega DAC is superior in many aspects, inferior in none. So yes, it is really good for the money, no, it is untrue it can match all <=1000$ dacs.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #43 of 314
Quote:
What does he charge?  I used ASI-Teknologies for my Transporter mods (and subsequently a repair due to a faulty PS Audio PPP) and they work really cheap and did a really good job.

Fidelity Audio has three offers for digital only:
The Micro clock only is £89 (plus shipping to you).
Level 1 is the clock + five caps upgraded - all mounted at their office for £204 (which means you need to ship the Touch to England).
Level 2 is level 1 plus upgraded PSU for £449.
http://fidelityaudio.co.uk/squeezebox_touch.shtml
They also sell on eBay.
I landed on the clock only and might try upgrading the five caps myself.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #44 of 314
Quote:
In the case of the Touch, you'll want to replace most of the caps, replace the oscillator with a low ppm TCXO, and get either a high quality linear regulated supply or a battery supply for it. 

Hi IPodPJ,
You seem to know a bit about these things ...

What would upgrading the caps do for the coax out?

(I already ordered a clock upgrade-kit.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back