Logitech Ultimate Ears 100 are easy to recommend
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

os2k

100+ Head-Fier

[size=11pt]I received my pair of Ultimate Ears (Logitech) UE100 via the facebook promo. I have to admit - did not have high expectations from a pair of $20 IEM’s. I pleasantly surprised once I heard them - no, they are no giant killers, but for a straight forward stick-them-in-your-ears-and-enjoy-the-music they are hard to beat.[/size]

[size=11pt]Compared to other consumer focused in-ears I heard at this price point they are more on the balanced side. The overall sound signature has a U shape to it. They extend fairly low without over emphasizing the lower frequencies. If anything I would say they are more on the detailed/analytical side for an IEM at this price point.[/size]

[size=11pt]As I was listening to an Efterklang song on my iPhone I heard a slight crackle I never noticed before - I thought it was the UE’s distorting a bit, so I pulled out my SE215 for a second listen. Same crackle was noticeable on the Shures as well. The distortion was at the source (recorded noise) and the UE’s just reproduced it.[/size]

[size=11pt]I am pretty sure that like some of you, I have a few friends and coworkers who come to me for advise as to what earphones/headphones to purchase. Sometimes I find it hard to recommend a generally unknown brand, or an Asian retailer that may take 4 weeks to deliver (“but my flight is tomorrow...”). There are other pros as well that make the UE’s easy to recommend - they fit very comfortably straight out of the box; they sound good without having to experiment with 3rd party tips that may cost more then the earphones; and lastly, in my opinion their design (visually) is nicer then most “fashion” in-ears.[/size]

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 15
Good to read ! Can you tell me if you already had some UE before ? Is the brand signature recgnisable on your pair ? I have in mind the first logitech in ear earphones, in neodinyum few years before they bought UE (20€)... To me, they were really really good... Can you say they sound nice really ? Is there a kind of UE signature, like you were lsitening to music under water with your new earphones ? I bought a pair of UE few years ago too, and i did not liked them, i felt the sound was... Globaly recessed...can you say more about the sound quality ? Is it complete ? Nice ? uE sound sig ?

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the nice overview on these. I tried the Facebook code within 5 minutes of seeing the post and wasn't able to get a pair. They have a LOT of followers! Would be nice to have a pair for my little one at that price, but she's pretty happy with her M6's.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Good to read ! Can you tell me if you already had some UE before ? Is the brand signature recgnisable on your pair ? I have in mind the first logitech in ear earphones, in neodinyum few years before they bought UE (20€)... To me, they were really really good... Can you say they sound nice really ? Is there a kind of UE signature, like you were lsitening to music under water with your new earphones ? I bought a pair of UE few years ago too, and i did not liked them, i felt the sound was... Globaly recessed...can you say more about the sound quality ? Is it complete ? Nice ? uE sound sig ?

I currently own and love the UE TF10 which is not at all recessed or veiled. I also own the Altec Lansing UHP606 - which is FWIR a rebadged SuperFi 4. The 606 are somewhat veiled in comparison to the UE100. Based on comfort, sound signature and level of detail I prefer the UE100 to my UHP606. I did briefly owned a pair of AL UHP336 (rebadged/tweaked SuperFi 3) which, IIRC, were lacking in detail and comfort as well compared with the UE100.
Keep in mind that the UE100 has a dynamic driver while the others I tried have either single BA or triple BA.

So in short, no, I don't think the UE100 represent a house sound. My impression is that they were tuned to achieve a mainstream consumer audience taste.

Quote:
Thanks for the nice overview on these. I tried the Facebook code within 5 minutes of seeing the post and wasn't able to get a pair. They have a LOT of followers! Would be nice to have a pair for my little one at that price, but she's pretty happy with her M6's.

Sorry you didn't get a pair - I guess I just got lucky with my timing - I got is as soon as their server recovered from the initial crash. I was planning on passing these to my daughter, but now I am not so sure :). I did own a pair of M6, however, they were too bass heavy to my taste.

Once again - I don't think these are the next M6/M9 or marshmallows but they are easy to recommend at their price point, looks and a 2 years warranty from Logitech.

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 15
I DO NOT in anyway recommend UE100. They are prone to driver flex issue. My first pair has so much driver flex that half of the time the left side cuts itself off. The exchanged pair still have noticeable driver flex on both side. If you must get a UE, get the UE200 for $10 more. It is better built  and doesn't suffer from any driver flex (not to mention that it sounds more than $10 better). Well, I'll write a review on both later on.

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #8 of 15
ClieOS - Thanks for chiming in. I was not aware of the driver flex issue since the pair I have did not display any flex symptoms. I did however have driver flex issues with the Meelec M6 - had to have a pair replaced twice. As always, I am looking forward to reading your review of both.

I have re-read my initial post and realized that my intent was not very clear.

The main idea of my write up is that the UE100 are easy to recommend to non-audiophiles who are just looking for an easy upgrade from iBuds and spending more then $20 on a pair or earphones is not their top priority - in other words "normal" people :xf_eek:

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
I have re-read my initial post and realized that my intent was not very clear.

The main idea of my write up is that the UE100 are easy to recommend to non-audiophiles who are just looking for an easy upgrade from iBuds and spending more then $20 on a pair or earphones is not their top priority - in other words "normal" people
redface.gif

Well, I am guilty of speaking too highly of UE200 (over UE100) myself
tongue.gif
. Actually the two IEM sound quite similar and maybe it really isn't $10 better sounding than UE100, but I do find UE200 design to make better sense, plus no driver flex of course.

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Well, I am guilty of speaking too highly of UE200 (over UE100) myself
tongue.gif
. Actually the two IEM sound quite similar and maybe it really isn't $10 better sounding than UE100, but I do find UE200 design to make better sense, plus no driver flex of course.

I never expected much from UEs cheapest earphone that they give away for free every week, have you tried out the UE350? I read the cable on it is sweat resistant. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
I never expected much from UEs cheapest earphone that they give away for free every week, have you tried out the UE350? I read the cable on it is sweat resistant. 

No. The current UE line-up looks boring to me. I picked up the UE100 and UE200 mainly because I was shopping for new household electronics and the store just happened to carry them.

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
No. The current UE line-up looks boring to me. I picked up the UE100 and UE200 mainly because I was shopping for new household electronics and the store just happened to carry them.

I don't know why but ever since Logitech bought them out, I haven't been that interested in them... unless it's free lol.

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 15
Since my friends know I can never have too many earphones, they gave these to me as a gift. I was quite amused by its colours haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back