Logitech UE6000
Nov 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #78 of 366
hey all,

i just got my pair and I wasn't sure at first if mine were defective or not but here are my observations:

1) the bass is far too overpowering. Listening to a track like Worst Behavior by Drake and I have to choose between upping the volume and blowing out my eardrums with the (albeit, punchy) bass, or keeping it at audible levels and feeling like Drake is yelling into a tin can from another room. the vocals are so lifeless and absent it is remarkable.

2) listening to jazz (my bread and butter) the experience is much better. The jazz that i listen to doesn't have the same kind of dominating basslines or bass drums, so i can turn up the volume and the vocals become much more present. orchestral flourishes on melody gardot's second album become much more lush and full - but still pale in comparison to the experience offered by the supraaural yamaha hph-200bl's. the sensitivity on both these phones is roughly the same but i'm turning up the volume several notches on my mbp switching between the two to get a similar experience. and at the same time i don't feel like they need to be amped because the bass (even with the jazz tracks) is still sometimes too loud.

Listening to Stars Fell on Alabama off of Ella and Louis - Armstrong's opening trumpet solo sounds a lot more compressed and less nuanced and colorful than it does with the hph200's (ps - im using these as a comparison because i don't really have another pair of headphones that i think would be a fair comparison for the ue6000s). it's good, don't get me wrong, but its not the same as the experience of the yamaha phones.

3) classical music - here is the dealbreaker for me. IF the ue6000's failed to provide an enjoyable listening experience for classical there's no way they'd make it into my stable. and, surprise surprise, the UE6000's end up blowing me away here. listening to a random recording of chopin's fantaisie-impromptu, the piano is clean, present, and sounds beautiful to my ears. I played the same track on my akg k550s and i honestly liked the sound of the ue6000s better for this ONE piano track. even with the NC off the sound is quite good. Once i turn on the NC the piano sounds a LOT better, but the hiss is still apparent.

So my conclusion is that I hate Beats because its clear logitech/UE are trying to appeal to the crowd of self-ordained bassheads. not to slur people who genuinely enjoy their bass, but when the a quarter of the high-end headphone market is cornered by Beats and their bass-orientation its obvious that competitors are going to try and follow suit. Logitech and UE have a great headphone here but the hiss from the NC circuit is murdering my experience, and again the BASS is just way too much. I still want to listen to my hip hop and r&b tracks without hassle, and while i'll probably end up keepign them for the lush piano sounds im getting thorugh these headphones its a real shame they couldn't have a more balanced sound signature.

PS - i'm aware that equalizers exist. I'm too lazy to eq settings on a variety of devices and programs just to accomodate one pair of headphones though, and while that's definitely a way around the problem i described i'm writing this up so that others can have a better sense of what the UE6000 might sound like.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #79 of 366
  hey all,

i just got my pair and I wasn't sure at first if mine were defective or not but here are my observations:

1) the bass is far too overpowering. Listening to a track like Worst Behavior by Drake and I have to choose between upping the volume and blowing out my eardrums with the (albeit, punchy) bass, or keeping it at audible levels and feeling like Drake is yelling into a tin can from another room. the vocals are so lifeless and absent it is remarkable.

2) listening to jazz (my bread and butter) the experience is much better. The jazz that i listen to doesn't have the same kind of dominating basslines or bass drums, so i can turn up the volume and the vocals become much more present. orchestral flourishes on melody gardot's second album become much more lush and full - but still pale in comparison to the experience offered by the supraaural yamaha hph-200bl's. the sensitivity on both these phones is roughly the same but i'm turning up the volume several notches on my mbp switching between the two to get a similar experience. and at the same time i don't feel like they need to be amped because the bass (even with the jazz tracks) is still sometimes too loud.

Listening to Stars Fell on Alabama off of Ella and Louis - Armstrong's opening trumpet solo sounds a lot more compressed and less nuanced and colorful than it does with the hph200's (ps - im using these as a comparison because i don't really have another pair of headphones that i think would be a fair comparison for the ue6000s). it's good, don't get me wrong, but its not the same as the experience of the yamaha phones.

3) classical music - here is the dealbreaker for me. IF the ue6000's failed to provide an enjoyable listening experience for classical there's no way they'd make it into my stable. and, surprise surprise, the UE6000's end up blowing me away here. listening to a random recording of chopin's fantaisie-impromptu, the piano is clean, present, and sounds beautiful to my ears. I played the same track on my akg k550s and i honestly liked the sound of the ue6000s better for this ONE piano track. even with the NC off the sound is quite good. Once i turn on the NC the piano sounds a LOT better, but the hiss is still apparent.

So my conclusion is that I hate Beats because its clear logitech/UE are trying to appeal to the crowd of self-ordained bassheads. not to slur people who genuinely enjoy their bass, but when the a quarter of the high-end headphone market is cornered by Beats and their bass-orientation its obvious that competitors are going to try and follow suit. Logitech and UE have a great headphone here but the hiss from the NC circuit is murdering my experience, and again the BASS is just way too much. I still want to listen to my hip hop and r&b tracks without hassle, and while i'll probably end up keepign them for the lush piano sounds im getting thorugh these headphones its a real shame they couldn't have a more balanced sound signature.

PS - i'm aware that equalizers exist. I'm too lazy to eq settings on a variety of devices and programs just to accomodate one pair of headphones though, and while that's definitely a way around the problem i described i'm writing this up so that others can have a better sense of what the UE6000 might sound like.

Yea THat is an issue. These are BASSY heavy headphones, and on my'\[brand new pair] with the Active Noise Cancellation off they sound like garbage, with the ACN [ACtive Noise Cancellation that swtich and green light] with that off... my music sounds messy, inconherent and muddled. Horrific. Granted it's balanced but the clarity and sound stage are shot

now with ACN these get a slight U shaped sound [Which I don't mind as these know to be a bassy headphone] and the clarity and sound stage become MUCH MORE defined.

So I've come to the conclusion that is just the headphone. That said, with the ACN on its a very nice bass head can! Nice clarity and when the bass is needed it SLAMS

also if your having issue with volume control... you should get an amp. As the ACN chagnes or rather it increases the headphones sensitivity by about 6 db spl [this is a recorded SPec from Logitech] so a nice amp with a better volume step control will help with that issue, I can also recommend the C5 for such an amp that will have a nice volume control ]but it costs as much as the headphone....]

That said I agree with you I find it to be rather extreme with it's genre cohesion , I really only find it listenable with ACN on, as without it. It sounds like a mess. ANd yes with NC off a lot of music sounds bad. with it on Most music sounds better

Honestly, FOR a BASS head, any one who listens to a LOT of EDM and likes a lot of bass, these are a no brainer. But I still feel headphones like the Sound Magic Hp 100, and Shure 840 + AKG k550 are a better headphone. Granted the UE 6000 is very balanced with ANC off but with it off, it's sounds like a train wreck! imo

That said I'm writing my review of them tommorow WITH ANC on 

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #80 of 366
I just got mine too. I got the same feeling as yours for the 1st day. However, it gets better after the 2nd day. Give it sometimes to burn in. I listen with the passive mode and I like it. For ANC mode, it does not sound neutral at all in some music. I found it gets boosts high and low in ANC mod (esp the bass), but not much in mid. That is the reason, IMHO, it sounds very good with classical or jazz or vocal. I listen most of the time in passive mode.
The HP are discontinued and on sale. It is my new best performance/price now (own grade60, samson 850, gemini 1000).

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #81 of 366
I just got mine too. I got the same feeling as yours for the 1st day. However, it gets better after the 2nd day. Give it sometimes to burn in. I listen with the passive mode and I like it. For ANC mode, it does not sound neutral at all in some music. I found it gets boosts high and low in ANC mod (esp the bass), but not much in mid. That is the reason, IMHO, it sounds very good with classical or jazz or vocal. I listen most of the time in passive mode.
The HP are discontinued and on sale. It is my new best performance/price now (own grade60, samson 850, gemini 1000).

oh yea, sorry It's not balanced in ANC mode, and yes extenision on both the Top and low end

I've been listening for 3 days straight now and it still sounds horrendous. Even the sound stage sounds closed in passive [ANC off] closed 

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #82 of 366
Anyone else have a problem with the mic picking up whats supposed to be running through the phones while NC is off? Video chatting people and they can hear themselves if NC is off, but once NC is on they can't anymore.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #83 of 366
These are going for $110 on amazon right now and I really want to pull the trigger. Are there ANY other cans I should consider that are better for around the same price? The only thing I'm worried about for the UE6000 is that the bass will bleed into the mids.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #84 of 366
  These are going for $110 on amazon right now and I really want to pull the trigger. Are there ANY other cans I should consider that are better for around the same price? The only thing I'm worried about for the UE6000 is that the bass will bleed into the mids.

There is relatively little midrange bleed and you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding headphone at that price assuming your preferences do lean to the basshead side vs. a treblehead.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #85 of 366
There is relatively little midrange bleed and you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding headphone at that price assuming your preferences do lean to the basshead side vs. a treblehead.

agreed these r excellent cans in the 100ish price range... PULL THAT trigger!

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #89 of 366
If you are interested to get this one, check tigerdirect.com.  They have them for $80.  They go up the price to $120 and then down back to $80.  I saw it at least twice last week.
I think they get a boatload of this discontinued model , for when the price was $80, they limited the quantity to 25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back