Logitec z2300 thoughts?
May 18, 2012 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Curious Ape

New Head-Fier
So I am very new to this and I picked up the Logitec z2300 system for christmas a year or two back and I am curious how bad I did at the uneducated buy. At the time it was 120 new on amazon they have since stopped production on them and the price seems to be all over the place. So far as sound quality goes I was wondering how good they are. I am wondering if I could possibly sell them at a price similar to purchase since the used are going for 160 ish on amazon.

Where would be a good place to possibly sell them if thats what I decide? Also, what would one expect to pay for some decent speakers that work pretty well in terms of audio quality. I find the sub to be overpowering with the logitec system so I think a good bass speaker could handle it. I plan to use the logitec through my monitor I hook up to my xbox for gaming sound only and use my recent buy of the ath m50's for music. Looking mostly for input dont hold back harsh comments on the system I don't expect it to hold up to audiophile standards.

For reference here is an amazon link. I dont know who would pay $600 for it though.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z-2300-Z2300-Speaker-Subwoofer/dp/B00031S4KO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337326427&sr=8-2

UPDATE : Went ahead and sold the Logitech Speakers for 160 so I made 40 on purchase price which is nice. Replacing them with some Sony SS B-3000 and a T2020 amp.

May 18, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 17
Depends on what you're looking for. Near Field monitors like audioengine or dynaudio are pretty good.

May 18, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
Depends on what you're looking for. Near Field monitors like audioengine or dynaudio are pretty good.

Speakers are more in a few months type of investment. I have only been looking into this stuff for the last few weeks and the headphones only arrived on monday. Can't justify and I dont want to rush spending money just yet. Going to work with what I have for a while. But I do appreciate the feedback I am always researching stuff trying to learn and see what I like.

May 18, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 17
$120 you could go with a T-Amp and Polk M30II/Sony SS-B3000 speakers which would be far far more musical than PC/multimedia speakers and you can land better stuff in the used audio hardware market (Craiglist, etc) 
L3000.gif

May 18, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
$120 you could go with a T-Amp and Polk M30II/Sony SS-B3000 speakers which would be far far more musical than PC/multimedia speakers and you can land better stuff in the used audio hardware market (Craiglist, etc) 
L3000.gif

That is a possibility and I do like the ability to do it for basically the same price assuming I sell these speakers for cost or more. Which T-amp do you like (keeping in mind I am a total noob in all of this :p) also between the two speakers which do you prefer and why? Strengths/weaknesses of them?

I source with my laptop listen to rock/pop/electro/house.

I like bass but not overpowering as such like the Logitech system is.

May 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 17
At this price range and for PC Audio the TA2020 based amps? Either of those speakers offer great SQ for it's price range and you can't go wrong with either 
tongue_smile.gif

May 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
At this price range and for PC Audio the TA2020 based amps? Either of those speakers offer great SQ for it's price range and you can't go wrong with either 
tongue_smile.gif

Do you have any experience with the Pyle Home PCA1? I was looking at reviews on amazon for the TA2020 and while most of the reviews were 4 and 5 stars there were a fair number of 1 and 2 star reviews which makes me nervous. This amp is overall higher rated with very few under 4 star reviews although it does have less reviews total. I think the overall percentage is lower though, one of the one star reviews suggested the Pyle Home PCA1 as an alternative so I looked into that. 

Edit: After a little math I confirmed the statement I made about percentages. Of the reviews for the TA2020; 24.7 percent of them are less than or equal to 3 stars. On the opposite side the Pyle Home PCA1 has only 7.7 percent of reviews less than or equal to 3 stars. There seems to be a ton of amps in this price range so this small comparison doesn't mean much. It may be enough to steer me away from the TA2020 in favor or something else though.

EDIT #2: I feel like I am getting a little in a rush to run around upgrading things. I feel spending the money and upgrading from this current system and getting the small t-amp and better speakers is all well and good. But if a few months down the line I decide to upgrade those speakers it is all for naught. I will continue researching these so called bookshelf speakers and I am going to try and budget myself to whatever I can get from the sale of the Logitech system. I just feel that being in a rush is going to result in either being unhappy with purchases or upgrading soon enough to where its not worth bothering. I think ill just research for a couple weeks and think about it and see where I am at then. These speakers aren't going anywhere. I appreciate the feedback and still will pick your brain if you don't mind :p

May 19, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 17
Err for clean sounding/hifi sound at this price point i would go with TA2020 but if u needed something a lot more beefier and with tuner/remote something like the Sherwood RX-4105 has a proven track record as a budget/beefy stereo receiver 

May 19, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Err for clean sounding/hifi sound at this price point i would go with TA2020 but if u needed something a lot more beefier and with tuner/remote something like the Sherwood RX-4105 has a proven track record as a budget/beefy stereo receiver 

From what I can tell the TA2020 is a great amp at the price for those who had working ones. What worries me is the amount of people that said it broke right away or something didn't work well from the start. I like the look of the amp and the positive reviews are very positive its just a matter of taking the chance to have a problem like one of the low reviews.

Out of the two speaker systems I really like the Sony SS-B3000's, people didn't really have anything bad to say other than the speaker cable that comes with them is too thin to be of much use. I agree with you on the TA2020 just like I said the low reviews worried me since there was a higher number of them than I like to see on a product. I wouldn't need anything as beefy as that Sherwood at the moment. I was thinking if I stick to the budget of whatever the Logitech's go for + or - lets say 20-30 I dont really have anything to lose and I end up with a much better sound and the bang for my buck I have been lacking with that system. 

Does the TA2020 allow you to have a couple different outputs and switch between the two of them without switching cables around? It would be nice to have my headphones/laptop/monitor all plugged in and switchable between to allow me to switch between music gaming or headphone use all with the flip of a switch.

EDIT- This is what worries me

http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier-Supply/product-reviews/B0049P6OTI/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

EDIT 2- It seems the TA2020 doesn't support that many input switching I would be surprised if it did really its a cheaper amp. Due to the number of low reviews I am going to steer away from this amp though, it seems too much of a gamble if you get a good one or not.

May 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 17
Hmm actually reading the latest reviews seems buying it off Zon i would not recommend either as they screw peeps over with no PSU bundled in! I think peeps used a wrong one and possibly killed the amp so Zon is a big no no - blatant false advertisement if u ask me! I got my 1st TA2020 off ebay and ordered several afters from the same source w/o issues so it's your call ^^ It has a 3.5mm input and a red/white RCA input but if u needed more inputs a coax/optical receiver in the used market might be right up your alley
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TA2020-Stereo-Amplifier-Tripath-Car-MP3-PSU-12v4A-adapter-/190629174200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c62625bb8

May 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Hmm actually reading the latest reviews seems buying it off Zon i would not recommend either as they screw peeps over with no PSU bundled in! I think peeps used a wrong one and possibly killed the amp so Zon is a big no no - blatant false advertisement if u ask me! I got my 1st TA2020 off ebay and ordered several afters from the same source w/o issues so it's your call ^^ It has a 3.5mm input and a red/white RCA input but if u needed more inputs a coax/optical receiver in the used market might be right up your alley
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TA2020-Stereo-Amplifier-Tripath-Car-MP3-PSU-12v4A-adapter-/190629174200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c62625bb8

I still like that amp and I think after reading through the one star reviews a lot of people were saying that it was the lack of a power supply that was why they gave the rating. That ebay listing is slightly cheaper than amazon anyway and if you've bought three through them without any problems that seems reason enough to me to go with them.

It isn't that big an issue to switch some cables around if I wanted to either have it as a music setup gaming setup or a headphone station. I am not sure exactly how to do that at the moment but I think I will need a few more cords to make it work and instead of plugging my headphones through the amp I can direct plug them into the laptop. They get loud enough for my tastes at the moment anyway.

May 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 17
UPDATE : Went ahead and sold the Logitech Speakers for 160 so I made 40 on purchase price which is nice. Replacing them with a Sony SS B-3000 and a TA2020 amp.

May 21, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #14 of 17
Well if u wanted a DAC for portability with a laptop which could serve cans and speakers the Fioo E10 is $68 these days and has both headphone out (headphone amp section) and line out to feed to a speaker amp ^^ Enjoy your new set up 

May 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Well if u wanted a DAC for portability with a laptop which could serve cans and speakers the Fioo E10 is $68 these days and has both headphone out (headphone amp section) and line out to feed to a speaker amp ^^ Enjoy your new set up 

The Fiios seem to be the best choice in regards to a portable DAC/AMP combo but, for the time being atleast, none of my listening would take place away from home. Even having said that they still seem to be a cheap option for home use as well. Would this be better coupled with the TA2020 or something that would work alone in place of the TA2020? I have looked into Fiio amp/dac combos before and I must admit I am confused on what the difference between the e7 and e10 are, seeing as to my eyes they do about the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back