Livewires new management, and my Livewire Trips
May 17, 2011 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all-

I'll post this in their sponsor thread as well (edit - couldn't as the thread is locked, but here it is in case anybody wants to read about the management changes), but I wanted to make sure I stuck a note in this forum as well in case anybody ever searched.

A few months back, Livewire headphones (www.mylivewires.com) came under new management. After dealing with them extensively before and afterwards, I wanted to share my story briefly in case other prospective buyers are interested, particularly if they had heard negative feedback about Livewire service at some point.

The old Livewire - terrible service (feel free to skip the detail)
When I first ordered my Livewires, it was around January of 2010 - I sent them money and my earmolds and hoped to get a reasonable turnaround. Unfortunately, I didn't end up getting them until about 5 months later. I called and emailed frequently - they never responded to emails or voicemails, but I could occasionally get a hold of them by phone, in which case they were very polite but always told me the earphones were coming soon (but with no definite estimate). Then, 10 days after I got the earphones, the wire broke... I called and emailed a number of times to get a replacement and it never came. When I realized I had a bad seal in my left ear, I just gave up - stopped using the earphones because I knew that there was no way they would ever re-mold it for me.

Fast forward to today... new management!
I heard Livewire had recently come under new management, and decided to give re-molding and cable replacement a shot. I'm happy to report that new management has made a world of difference - they have been very responsive via phone and email (and super nice! Must be the Minnesota thing), they turned around a refit of my left earpiece in <3 weeks and sent me a replacement cable to boot.

Moral of the story for prospective buyers: If you have heard about nightmare experiences dealing with Livewire, it was probably under the old management. The new management is outstanding, fast, and responsive!

...And they make outstanding headphones. I have been thrilled with my Livewire Trips, which are very nicely balanced, have excellent bass oomph, and great extension in both directions. I would say with reasonable confidence that they compare favorably to all similarly-priced full size headphones I have heard (K701, HD650, DT880, W1000, SRH840, etc.). I don't like them quite as much as either my Stax rig or my LCD-2, but I really could be happy with the combination of my Sansa Fuze and the Livewires.

One more note on sound for prospective buyers - like the Shure SE530/535, these headphones are extremely sensitive to hiss. I had to return my TTVJ Slim because it was too noisy with these. Make sure when you're purchasing amp/DAC or mp3 player that you buy something with a reputation for being dead silent (I have had outstanding results with a Sansa Fuze, which is very close to silent with them, a Leckerton UHA-6, and a uDAC/Mini^3 combo, both of which are quiet as a mouse).

May 19, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 10
I already sent my impression on 30 April 2011 and get email from them that they receive it on 10 May 2011 ( from SG to USA ) they will update me when my T1 is ready.Hopefully it will be ready say around another 2 more weeks.Response time for email is quite fast (regarding changes to be made for my T1).
Thumbs Up for good service.

May 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 10
It's me again,Congrats to me I just receive my T1 today and it marks complete of 30 days. ie 30.4 2011 -30.5.2011. So far I like both Jaben service and  the new MyLivewires management.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 10
I second the new management props in the OP.  I've twice now called and talked to the owner/manufacturer for what seemed like forever.  Marc is very responsive and professional.  He also mentioned that they are working on a new higher end brand called Alclair which will offer a slight variation on their Trips from Livewire. 

From what he explained to me on the phone, the Alclair triple model will boast a Low, Low-Mid, and a High for just a bit more than the LW trips.  For what it's worth, Marc explained to me that the mid in the Trips was a High-Mid focused sound so it would appear they have a really nice lineup scheduled when they finally commercially launch Alclair.  They have a splash page up on the alclair.com website the links to twitter and facebook.  Anyone interested should go check them out. 

I for one am stuck between the Low-Mid and High-Mid models.  For those of you who know what the UM3X sound like, which type of mid driver would give me the most similar sound signature?  Or perhaps we can start a discussion about why you would prefer one type of mid driver over the other.  Let's go people, get postin'!!!!

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 10
I don't know - I haven't had an iPod in a long time and don't have an iPhone 4, sorry - I'm sure others will be able to give you insight though

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 10

Fine, since you guys don't wish to comment i'll just let you all know when i get them.  I sent my impressions minutes ago, they will arrive at Osseo, MN on Friday and i suspect 2 business weeks later i should have some ear candy in my hands. 

Quote:
I second the new management props in the OP.  I've twice now called and talked to the owner/manufacturer for what seemed like forever.  Marc is very responsive and professional.  He also mentioned that they are working on a new higher end brand called Alclair which will offer a slight variation on their Trips from Livewire. 

From what he explained to me on the phone, the Alclair triple model will boast a Low, Low-Mid, and a High for just a bit more than the LW trips.  For what it's worth, Marc explained to me that the mid in the Trips was a High-Mid focused sound so it would appear they have a really nice lineup scheduled when they finally commercially launch Alclair.  They have a splash page up on the alclair.com website the links to twitter and facebook.  Anyone interested should go check them out. 

I for one am stuck between the Low-Mid and High-Mid models.  For those of you who know what the UM3X sound like, which type of mid driver would give me the most similar sound signature?  Or perhaps we can start a discussion about why you would prefer one type of mid driver over the other.  Let's go people, get postin'!!!!

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for this post on LiveWires. Made contact with Marc and had informative visit. Decided to invest in new Trips of Alclair brand he is developing. Very pleased with service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back