Livewires - from a Super.fi 5 Pro
Mar 5, 2008 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

boclcown

100+ Head-Fier
about a month ago, I bought a pair of SF5's. Initially, fell in love with them. The sound was fun, and they fit well, or so I thought. After a week or so, I realized that the seal wouldn't last more than five minutes. Nothing worked. The foam tips, the flanged, etc. They all were lacking in some way. After recieving some more $$ ($160, to be exact), I decided to look for a dif. pair of phones. I came across the Livewires, and was hooked on the idea of a custom pair of phones.

I'm afraid that the LW's will be too bland. That the sound will be too much like the er6i's, which I hated. I don't want the bass to be removed from my music, I want it to be present, with an audible thump. Of course, the SF5's pushed the bass to the point of getting in the way of the mids and highs, so...

Can anyone give me their opinion on the differences between the SF5's and the LW's? Is the sound quality noticeably different, better, worse, etc? How about the sound stage?

It would be awesome if you guys could help me out before I take the $300 plunge.

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 27
i was about to buy the super.fi 5 pro and the store i got them from put me on back order and then canceled my order. so i waited about 4 months and just yesterday i took the plunge for two sets of superfreq for $189 each one for me and one for my girl. Reasons: first it is a custom IEM so it will fit perfect and not hurt like your universal IEM. Second they are triple driver and have been rated higher than the super.fi 5 pro by owners of both. I like the price in comparison to livewires, also superfreq will provide you with any upgrades made to the lineup for 1 year. One of them is going to be and upgraded braided cable. check out the website if you care for them they also have cheaper ones incase you dont want to spend too much.

Custom Fit Earbuds - The FreQ

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 27
Yeah, I looked at the Superfreq, but didn't like the cheap look that they had. I also prefer the swivel cord of the LW's. Does anyone have an opinion on the LW's in comparison to teh SF5's? I've looked through threads about the LW's, but couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 27
I had the Super.fi 5 pro at the same time as LW, and I sold the Super.fi because the Livewires are better, with fuller mids and more presence. With LW you can be part of the performance instead of 20 rows back with the recessed mids of the Super.fi

The bass matched the Super.fi 5 Pro, and is just a hair less than SE530 or Triple.fi which are both triple drivers.

These LW sound closest to my Grado RS-2 with APS V3 silver/copper cable. Get them, and they have a 30 day money back guarantee if it doesn't work for you. And they will keep trying to re-fit them if there is a problem with comfort or seal, at no extra cost except your half of the shipping to send them in for the tune up. I like them enough that I'll be getting some as spares.

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 27
Shouldn't be long before FMT gets his Livewires and he can give you a comparison.
biggrin.gif

The bass on the Livewires rocks.
EarthshatteringBass.jpg

How low do you want to go?

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 27
Ok, HA has spoken.
cool.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 27
Thanks!!! That's all I needed to hear. If the bass is not sacraficed, while the mids are furnished, I'll be a happy camper.

Now...I just need to get some impressions...

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 27
Can anyone else confirm about the LW's bass and audiodepth?

I'm worried that my music will loose the deep, broad feeling. I don't want a tinny sound. Clear is fine, as long as it is robust and pumpy. Meh. I can hardly explain myself.

Has anyone else had both the SF5's and the LW's?

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 27
Well, I'm also concerned about my source. I will be running the LW's right out of my zune 80. Has anyone had this combination? Is there or isn't there the infamous LW hiss?

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by boclcown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there or isn't there the infamous LW hiss?

Livewires don't hiss!

If your source is noisy, or your recording material bad, Livewires will ruthlessly reveal it.

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Well, I'm also concerned about my source. I will be running the LW's right out of my zune 80. Has anyone had this combination? Is there or isn't there the infamous LW hiss?

I believe filipelli uses this combination and likes it. You could ask.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 27
I'll send him a PM, but it would probably be better if someone could answer in this thread so that others can see.

I'm sold on the LW's if this hiss isn't an issue with the z80.

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

I'll send him a PM, but it would probably be better if someone could answer in this thread so that others can see.

I'm sold on the LW's if this hiss isn't an issue with the z80.

She loves it.

I am going from ER6i to LW's.

I had CX300's and hated the bloated bass, pre head-fi.

I naturally thought i hated bass as a noob, and came here. I got ER6i's, but i thin the are to dry, and boring sounding. I like a balanced sound, but warm-ish i think, so they are enjoyable and fun to listen to.

Apparently the LW's are like ER4's but upgraded and custom! More bass, but no loss in detail. Also ER4's have more bass than er6i's, so i think im going to love them! Pre dreaming for Lw's, i dreamt for ER4's, so as long as i dont have a fit nightmare, im going to be so happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back