Livewires - California Dreamin'
Oct 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #3,783 of 3,902
Looks like all the old-timers are AFK or gone...

But anyway.

Kosmic, I really have to thank you for your push-up technique. I'm not entirely sure if it works exactly your way (pushing once to break the seal), but what I did was push it to break the seal, finish a conversation (like with a store cashier), release, and ahh, the music is back.

I'm not sure if I have the "feet tapping" going yet but it does nearly make me want to swoon. Of course, maybe to have the LW's do simply everything (like making me cry buckets over Faye Wong's and Namie Amuro's vocals) would be pushing it.

But, it definitely has the resolving power of Hubble...after its spoilt lens got replaced
k701smile.gif

It is very scary to have more than 2 instruments to pop out of nowhere in a song you thought you knew (like in Savage Garden's "To The Moon And Back" which definitely adds to the swooning. The rhythmic plucking of a guitar (think it's bass guitar) throughout the duration, and everything sounding so (sur)real...

Verdict - THEY ROCK!

And a few pictures :

This...is Jaben!
34fiuc2.jpg

2zyztx0.jpg

eao8kp.jpg

Sorry about the bad pictures...

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #3,786 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by K.I. Unlimited /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you bought two sets...

>_>

Yah - I have SE530 drivers in the second set - although sometimes a little sibilant the SE530 version's soundstage is a little bigger and airier than the Livewires T1, which are a little more forward sounding with stronger bass.

From Sept 2007 to Feb 2009 both pairs were my best customs (yucky Freq Show with mismatched drivers got ignored). Once the ES3X arrived it was another story...

Then I added the UE and JHA customs after Canjam and haven't looked back, although I did recently decide to get the Freq repaired and compare them again. AlienEars may actually get the old Freq to sound nice for a change.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #3,789 of 3,902
Hey guys,

Sorry to rake up the thread. I just received the left side of my Trips back from a refit, and I was wondering if anyone could find a picture which could illustrate the placement of the three drivers within the custom so I could see it. Or just a description perhaps?

At the moment this is what I see:

At the top: A small silver box (presumably 1 driver)
Middle: Large silver box (presumably 2nd driver)
bottom: Third small box (presumably 3rd driver)

Am I right to say it is like that, and also, the drivers aren't on the two sound tubes near the end of the custom(which goes deepest into our ears) right?

Cheers.

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #3,790 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr3derick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Sorry to rake up the thread. I just received the left side of my Trips back from a refit, and I was wondering if anyone could find a picture which could illustrate the placement of the three drivers within the custom so I could see it. Or just a description perhaps?

At the moment this is what I see:

At the top: A small silver box (presumably 1 driver)
Middle: Large silver box (presumably 2nd driver)
bottom: Third small box (presumably 3rd driver)

Am I right to say it is like that, and also, the drivers aren't on the two sound tubes near the end of the custom(which goes deepest into our ears) right?

Cheers.

The drivers are indeed small silver boxes. They connect to the sound tubes which then lead out to your ear. There is a large driver connected to a single sound tube, which handles the low frequencies. That sound tube has a red 'plug' looking thing, called an acoustic damper, in the tube. The 2 other drivers handle mid and high frequencies. They are both very small, appear to be connected, and can seem like just one driver if you don't look real close from the proper angle. They both output to a single sound tube with no acoustic damper in it.

Hope that helps, sorry I don'thave a great pic available.

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #3,792 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr3derick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there!

Thanks for the reply, much appeciated. So one of the small silver box either on top/ below the big silver box is not a driver?

Cheers.

Can you try taking a pic and posting it? I'm not sure what you mean.

There should only be a few things in your acrylic shell. One is the gold connector piece which also houses crossover components. Ignore that; it is not a driver. The other silver things are all drivers. Just follow your sound tubes from the tip of the canal back to the inside of the shell, and the silver things there should be the drivers.

I just realized you might have a shell color that makes it tough to tell what color the inside pieces are. The large gold piece lines up directly where you plug in your cable, if that helps narrow it down.

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #3,794 of 3,902
Hard to tell from that angle (although it IS a nice pic). Your small driver unit appears to be the proper proportion to be a dual driver unit, but again I can't tell for sure. Google pics of Knowles Acoustics TWFK, which is the name of the dual driver that the Trips use. You'll see what I mean when you see pics. Also look for the wiring: Trips should have 2 wires going to the large driver and 3 wires going to the small drivers, whereas duals just have a pair going to each driver for a total of 4 wires. If you have 5 wires total they are Trips.

How is the fit? And the sound?

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #3,795 of 3,902
Hey there again.

Haha this is weird: On the left side the three wires are the ones which I can identify clearly, and on the right side I can see two drivers (there's a line in between them, so I assume it's two drivers side by side).

The fit's great (after the refit, which is the reason why I'm asking to identify the three drivers in case they remade it to the duals). However, if it was one side on Duals and one side on Trips, I bet the sound would be very noticably weird.

I'll post my impressions when I get a concrete impression of how they sound, probably by this week.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back