Livewires - California Dreamin'
Feb 4, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #3,811 of 3,902
emailed John today as im in america (Vegas, San Fran, LA) in may/june.

asked if i can go to the office to get impressions done and how long would the turn around be.

I quote his reply.

HI Joel,

We would welcome you to our office in the SF Bay Area when you visit in May.
We don not charge the impressions when we do them ourselves. Hopefully, we will have our in house turnaound down to 5 days or less by the time you get over here, so there is a good chance you'll have them for the flight home.

Best Wishes

John Diles

after reading pretty much every one of the 255 pages im not going to expect miracles. but maybe there turn around is getting better. It took around 4 hours to reply to my email which i think is really good. I have replied asking if he can gaurantee that they will be ready for when i leave (im only in SF for 3 days and then im back to Vegas for a week)

Hope this is of some help to anyone looking to buy some of these.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #3,812 of 3,902
If you are only going to be in SF for 3 days, I don't see how it is possible. If you get there first thing in the morning for impressions, they just might get the package out in the mail that day to be sent to the lab. I don't think the lab is in the same state, so the lab probably won't see the package for a few days. Then it might be a few days for the lab to do their work, followed by transit time back to Livewires. I'm not sure if they are doing final assembly in house, or if that part is outsourced to the lab. But either way, 3 days seems impossible.

It's not all bad though. If they do finish things within 5-10 days, then mail them back to your home address, they might be waiting for you when you return. Or you might have to wait a few weeks at home. It ends up not being that big of a deal in the long run.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #3,813 of 3,902
they said 5 days turnaround.

im only in SF for 3 days but am going to LV for 7 days after.

so they would have 9 days discounting the first impressions day.

if they cant gaurantee it will be done before im home then ill just get them to mail them back to the UK for when i return home.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #3,814 of 3,902
Don't mean to double post but maybe someone over here can inform me.
I've got a pair of livewires (dual drivers), and one of the drivers has disconnected from the acoustic tubing, its rattling in there.
This has already happened to both earphones and I had sent them back to the manufacturer as they were under warranty, but I'm overseas and shipping fees are ridiculous.
Now theyre not under warranty any more so I'd like to open it out and just pop it back in place myself.
I have no idea how to open them up but they've been repaired once so there has to be a way without remolding.
Theres a face plate but it seems pretty flush with the rest of the piece.
Any ideas on how to get it to come off?

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #3,816 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuryA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't mean to double post but maybe someone over here can inform me.
I've got a pair of livewires (dual drivers), and one of the drivers has disconnected from the acoustic tubing, its rattling in there.
This has already happened to both earphones and I had sent them back to the manufacturer as they were under warranty, but I'm overseas and shipping fees are ridiculous.
Now theyre not under warranty any more so I'd like to open it out and just pop it back in place myself.
I have no idea how to open them up but they've been repaired once so there has to be a way without remolding.
Theres a face plate but it seems pretty flush with the rest of the piece.
Any ideas on how to get it to come off?

AFAIK the faceplate is glued on after final assembly, so you would need to remove it again to carry out the work. Unless you have the correct equipment & a very steady hand, it might be best to save up and send them back for repair.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #3,817 of 3,902
I'm strongly considering getting a pair of these, but I've got a few concerns. What's turn around time like? I've heard it's on the order of 2 months, but if I visit their offices directly it's much quicker, right?

Also a more subjective question, have any of you who have livewires ever regretted getting them? I'm having some trouble justifying the purchase if I'm not going to be satisfied in a few months. I know there's a 30 day return policy though, so it shouldn't be too bad. I really like the idea of customs (especially of never having to worry about fit problems again) but I'm worried the idea will fade after I get them and I'll be stuck with low resale value.

How much does livewires charge for a re-fit (if I'm keeping them it'll be for a while)?

Sorry for rambling, I'm on pain-killers from surgery, things are kinda hazy right now.
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #3,818 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm strongly considering getting a pair of these, but I've got a few concerns. What's turn around time like? I've heard it's on the order of 2 months, but if I visit their offices directly it's much quicker, right?

I've had mine for a little over a year, and at that time it was taking about 3 months to get them. I don't know if things have improved since then.

Quote:

Also a more subjective question, have any of you who have livewires ever regretted getting them?

I use mine almost daily and have never regretted getting them.

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #3,819 of 3,902
Turn around for me was almost 3 months, but that was partly because they gave me duals instead of triples.

I ordered a new cable about 3 weeks ago, and it has not arrived, nor have I received any order confirmation or anything. I emailed them twice about it with no reply. So I'd say nothing has really improved. I can almost guarantee that when I call tomorrow, they will answer, be polite, and ship them out in a few days. I don't know why they are so disorganized about emails.

Despite all the issues, I absolutely love my LiveWires and do not regret them at all. They remain one of my absolute favorite audio tools.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #3,820 of 3,902
I ended up going with Fidelity Customs instead. The person I spoke with said their turn around is now three weeks after receiving them. He also mentioned that the LiveWires Triples and the Fidelity Customs Triples are not the same electronics/drivers inside (I thought they were based on some of the reviews).

Just some thoughts...they arrive in a few weeks! What song do I listen to first?

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #3,821 of 3,902
I'm at 7 weeks and counting waiting for my set of Trips (they told me when I ordered that they expected a 4-6 week turnaround. Lies). They are always very polite when I call (once a week), but never able to give me much useful information. I really hope at some point they do something to improve their turnaround time. I'm a patient guy, but I don't really see how they can view this sort of performance as acceptable. God forbid the customs don't fit perfectly the first time and I need them reshelled...

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #3,822 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up going with Fidelity Customs instead. The person I spoke with said their turn around is now three weeks after receiving them. He also mentioned that the LiveWires Triples and the Fidelity Customs Triples are not the same electronics/drivers inside (I thought they were based on some of the reviews).

Just some thoughts...they arrive in a few weeks! What song do I listen to first?

Huh... so does anyone know about the differences? I'd probably go with the Livewires anyway because they're cheaper, however that is a sizeable difference in turn around time.

If you enjoy rock, why not try Tesselate by Tokyo Police Club, it's a very energetic song so it'll get you excited about the new customs
biggrin.gif

I emailed livewires the other day at their customer support line, but no response yet.
frown.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #3,823 of 3,902
Best bet is calling them on their California number - they always pick up and are very friendly, they just aren't particularly helpful

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #3,824 of 3,902
Ehh... I really don't want to call, emailing is so much easier (lazier
tongue.gif
)... but if they don't respond in a day or two I will.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #3,825 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard good and bad about dealing with Fidelity, hope you get the good. Did you get their duals or triples?

The duals seem to be the same, but the triples are indeed very different from the LiveWires Trips. The Trips use the same setup as the Westone ES3X: Knowles Acoustics CI22955 for bass, and the Knowles TWFK dual driver for mids and highs. The Fidelity triples appear to be configured with 2 large drivers and one small driver. Here is a link with that info, unfortunately I can't find any follow up from any of the people who had sent theirs back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm at 7 weeks and counting waiting for my set of Trips (they told me when I ordered that they expected a 4-6 week turnaround. Lies). They are always very polite when I call (once a week), but never able to give me much useful information. I really hope at some point they do something to improve their turnaround time. I'm a patient guy, but I don't really see how they can view this sort of performance as acceptable. God forbid the customs don't fit perfectly the first time and I need them reshelled...

That's EXACTLY how my situation was. Very polite, seemed concerned, but could not tell me anything. I didn't get a chance to call about my cable today, but I checked my email and I've actually tried emailing them 4 times, once a week since I ordered a month ago. That's just not good service at all! I bet if I emailed from a different account with a question about buying a pair, I'd get a quick reply. Maybe not.

I really need to remember to call them one of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back