Livewires - California Dreamin'
Aug 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #3,676 of 3,902
s-IMG_0937.jpg

My Triples arrived.
ummmm .... it seems that my triples am also hopeless.(=Defective Triples)

It seems that however, the normal Triples has reached two of Japanese music lovers.

[My impression for Fidelity Triples]
Please review my comment based on the assumption that my Triples are defective (they have problems with sound cracking and muffling).
And since I am poor at English, my words may be strange.

Since my Triples do not sustain the sound, they are not good from the view point of enjoying music and the issue is much more pronounced in female vocal(no good).
Although the range of the sound is at a considerable level, the sound is muffled considerably and its muffling is worse than that of my Sleek Audio [SA6](universal type).

[Japanese blogger's impression for Fidelity Triples]
The following is description by a blogger famous for Japan.(His Fidelity is a normal article.)
thrillseeker(Japanese)
For normal products, the resolution is analytical, and the sound is not lumped together and each individual sound can be heard with the help of dry sound tendencies.
Although the sound field is not as broad as that of UE, they have a broad range from side to side.
Also, they provide full volume bass while having a core sound.

The tendency of the sound of Fidelity Triples is a flat.
The frequency response of Fidelity Triples resembles UE-10pro(cusutom earphone) very much.
He says,”I have purchased Triples absolutely also $800.”

Thank you.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #3,677 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you buy from TN or CA office?
Do yours have a large amount of audible hiss at low volume?
What colour are yours? If they are clear, could you tell me if you can see a crossover inside, because I can't see one in either of mine.

mine's from CA. Didn't detect any hiss though.

lw3.jpg

No idea what you were referring about the crossover, so I just took a picture for your referral

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #3,678 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by B[van] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine's from CA. Didn't detect any hiss though.

No idea what you were referring about the crossover, so I just took a picture for your referral

Hi BVan, thanks for the reply and the pic.
Mine are fromTN (Fidelity), I have been burning them in like you for the past week but there has been no change, they still sound muffled. Nobody knows if and what the differences between the livewire triples and fidelity triples are, and with no review comparing the two against eachother or against the t1's, its hard for me to know if they are actually faulty or thats just the way they are supposed to sound.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #3,679 of 3,902
RE: Muffled Triple Driver Livewires/Fidelity Audio

I had a similar problem with my Freq Show 3-driver customs, and did not like them. It was only later I discovered that hitting the 75 ohm switch on my XM5 amp would transform the sound into something very good. You guys might need to look for a 75 ohm "P-to-S adapter" and try the triples with that.

On the other hand, the 75 ohm switch makes all my other custom IEM sound bad. It only seems to help my Freq Show triples.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #3,680 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a similar problem with my Freq Show 3-driver customs, and did not like them. It was only later I discovered that hitting the 75 ohm switch on my XM5 amp would transform the sound into something very good. You guys might need to look for a 75 ohm "P-to-S adapter" and try the triples with that.

On the other hand, the 75 ohm switch makes all my other custom IEM sound bad. It only seems to help my Freq Show triples.

Looks like problem is only with Fidelity (not Livewires) customs from latest batch. Cos who's got them earlier or from Livewires office have no complains.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #3,681 of 3,902
Quote:

Hi thanks for the advice, would you be kind enough to explain more about this and how and why this helps and where i could get one from? or make one if its possible. Do your freqshows have the same impedence as the fidelity triples?

When the livewire T1's first came out people were complaining about the hiss because of the low impedence value, and john from livwires began to offer a 50 Ohm cable, being a T1 owner, I have one of these and tried it with the triples but the sound was worse. Is this cable the same sort of thing you are talking about?

Regards Steph

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #3,682 of 3,902
Although my Livewires Triples from CA office don't sound muffled to me, I got a 120ohm adapter for them and I think it makes them sound pretty awesome. Although the highs are more tamed and that might give a more "veiled"/"muffled" feeling, I do think it gives more bass and mids presence as a result, and more importantly bass and mids resolution together with the presence. The bass guitars suddenly have a way more realistic sound to them.

And contrary to what people have described the Livewires Duals and to the previously linked impressions of the Livewires Triples, I kinda found the vocals laid back on my Livewires Triples. It just seemed to me that the vocals were coming from behind the instruments, which I didn't really fancy. But the 120ohm adapter fixed that for me and brought the vocals more forward and intimate sounding without being fatiguing at all.

Something to note though, the 120ohm adapter does cause the highs to be more tamed and therefore causes the Livewires Triples to become slightly darker so if that's your taste then you might want to try them out but if you prefer a brighter sound this might not be your cup of tea. Oh and I've used it both amped (with a P3) and unamped out of an iPod 6G, with the most noticeable improvements actually coming when it's unamped. My ears are strange creatures
wink.gif

And just curious, Steph and HeadphoneAddict, when you say it makes your IEMs sound bad/worse what do you mean exactly? I want to know if my adapter is actually making my Livewires Triples sound "worse" to the general audiophile populace before gushing about them too much
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #3,683 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsatia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And just curious, Steph and HeadphoneAddict, when you say it makes your IEMs sound bad/worse what do you mean exactly? I want to know if my adapter is actually making my Livewires Triples sound "worse" to the general audiophile populace before gushing about them too much
biggrin.gif

Hi wsatia, when I refer to worse, I mean its adding to the problem I am experiencing not making it better. That problem being a very muffled/veiled sound with bad instrument separation. In short, an exaggerated explantion of what Is being heard is:
sound that resembles me listening behind a glass door or someone is holding a towel over my ears.

Hope this helps
Steph

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #3,684 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi wsatia, when I refer to worse, I mean its adding to the problem I am experiencing not making it better. That problem being a very muffled/veiled sound with bad instrument separation. In short, an exaggerated explantion of what Is being heard is:
sound that resembles me listening behind a glass door or someone is holding a towel over my ears.

Hope this helps
Steph

Ahh, okay I think that's the effect I get with the adapter too. It seems to reduce the highs which I think creates a more muffled feel. But I do think I got a tad better instrument separation with the adapter, although it did bring the vocals to coming from about the same distance as the instruments so not that good separation between vocals and instruments.

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #3,686 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by shrisha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, California dreamers, you definitely loosing me. I'm more and more leaning toward JH camp.
smily_headphones1.gif

idk man but it seemed that the fidelitys are having build issues of their own, and from what i gather from a forumite in another forum, the ca office is facing shortages of the drivers for their trips which has led to a mega delay; meaning those who ordered after wsatia and a few others were made to wait even longer than the first batch

i'm leaning towards the JH camp too, but that will have to wait another time. haha

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3,687 of 3,902
Quote:

biggrin.gif

When I say bad, I mean the life and spark of the music is sucked away when ever I use the 75ohm switch on an IEM that doesn't need it - detail may be worse but not always, highs may be duller but not always, bass may be less but not always. It depends on which IEM I am using.

So far the only IEM that I own that benefit from the 75 ohm switch are the Freq Show Music Makers triples. -=Germania=- says her Freq Show measure at only 9 ohms. So, it's possible that very low impedance is too difficult of a load for some portable amps (or MP3 player) to drive due to the demand for more current, and the 75 ohm P-S adapter (or switch on amp) puts the amp in the proper operating range.

The 75 ohm was decided on as the figure needed to convert an Etymotic ER4P to an Etymotic ER4S which gives them more detail and space at the expense of a little bit of bass. Someone a while back decided that 50 ohm helped the LW hiss without killing the sound.

With my Altec Lansing IM716 (using Etymotic drivers) I removed the volume pod with bass/HD switch and had one installed that allows me to select 22, 33, 47, 55, 69, 80 and 102 ohm loads for the 5 ohm drivers. They sound a little too bassy at 33 ohm or lower, and a little thin and hyper detailed at 55 ohm or higher, so I tend to use 47 ohm. However, they still need an amp to give them some bass when using 47 ohm, or to control the flabby bass when using 22 or 33 ohm. With the IM716, the higher the impedance is set, the more gain my amps need to drive the IM716 as they become less efficient and quieter. So, in effect the amps still have to work harder with the IM716 no matter how I set the impedance (and 75 is too much). My solution? I quit using them.

This is not what seems to happens with the Freq Show - they go from a little muddy and dull and lacking dynamics (even with a good amp) but not too bassy > to crisp clear dynamic and detailed when I flip the 75 ohm switch on my XM5. It's a pretty amazing transformation.

That's why I asked if that would help with the LW/Fidelity triples.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #3,688 of 3,902
Quote:

When I say bad, I mean the life and spark of the music is sucked away when ever I use the 75ohm switch on an IEM that doesn't need it - detail may be worse but not always, highs may be duller but not always, bass may be less but not always. It depends on which IEM I am using.

So far the only IEM that I own that benefit from the 75 ohm switch are the Freq Show Music Makers triples. -=Germania=- says her Freq Show measure at only 9 ohms. So, it's possible that very low impedance is too difficult of a load for some portable amps (or MP3 player) to drive due to the demand for more current, and the 75 ohm P-S adapter (or switch on amp) puts the amp in the proper operating range.

The 75 ohm was decided on as the figure needed to convert an Etymotic ER4P to an Etymotic ER4S which gives them more detail and space at the expense of a little bit of bass. Someone a while back decided that 50 ohm helped the LW hiss without killing the sound.

With my Altec Lansing IM716 (using Etymotic drivers) I removed the volume pod with bass/HD switch and had one installed that allows me to select 22, 33, 47, 55, 69, 80 and 102 ohm loads for the 5 ohm drivers. They sound a little too bassy at 33 ohm or lower, and a little thin and hyper detailed at 55 ohm or higher, so I tend to use 47 ohm. However, they still need an amp to give them some bass when using 47 ohm, or to control the flabby bass when using 22 or 33 ohm. With the IM716, the higher the impedance is set, the more gain my amps need to drive the IM716 as they become less efficient and quieter. So, in effect the amps still have to work harder with the IM716 no matter how I set the impedance (and 75 is too much). My solution? I quit using them.

This is not what seems to happens with the Freq Show - they go from a little muddy and dull and lacking dynamics (even with a good amp) but not too bassy > to crisp clear dynamic and detailed when I flip the 75 ohm switch on my XM5. It's a pretty amazing transformation.

That's why I asked if that would help with the LW/Fidelity triples.

Ahh okay. Wow did you DIY the impedance switcher thing?

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #3,689 of 3,902
Quote:

Ahh okay. Wow did you DIY the impedance switcher thing?

DanT did it for me. Had to ship to Canada and back.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #3,690 of 3,902
Quote:

DanT did it for me. Had to ship to Canada and back.

Ohh okay thanks! That's kind of a long way to ship for me in Singapore
frown.gif

But thanks anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back