Livewires - California Dreamin'
Feb 11, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #3,331 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by kotg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
waited 3 months for mine.. got them last friday.

anyway.. i have a noob question.. there is a lot of hissing plugging them directly into laptop, ipod, pc motherboard (this one is unbearable lol).. and i spoke with someone from earpeace and he said i probably need an amp. can someone recommend an affordable one? also what exactly does a dac do?

You don't want to plug an amp into the noisy laptop headphone out, but you want an amp with DAC that is "digital audio converter" and will give you less hiss due to better quality.

Here is a review of amps with DAC's that I have going on: UPDATED 01/04 REVIEW 12 USB DAC amps - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

If the DAC/amp is too costly, you can get a Shure volume attenuator online for about $10 + shipping, which when you put it between the laptop and Livewires it will kill the hiss if you roll the volume knob on the attenuator about 3-4mm quieter.

You can also put a resistor between the Livewires and Laptop, and Livewires sells a 50 ohm resistor built into a Livewires cable.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #3,332 of 3,902
I'm very disappointed with Livewires that I decided to create an account and post my saga with this company so people can get the good, the bad and the ugly along with the success stories.

First of Dec 2008 - start researching in-ear monitors to use with my band. Researching Livewires, Ultimate Ears, Senhphonics, Future Soncis, Westones.

Middle of Dec 2008 - find some good reviews on the web and on prosoundweb.com forums about Livewires (had not seen this forum yet). Decide for the price and the 30 day money back guarantee, why not try them. They are 400 bucks less than the dual drivers of Ultimate Ears and most people seem to like them.

Jan 5 2009 - Email the company with general questions about the impressions. John Diles writes me back. I have more questions so I decide to call his cell phone (since he said "give me a call if you have more questions"). I think he was a little annoyed when I called him direct. He said send the impressions in and you should have your IEM back in about 3 weeks. He was name dropping and said that they did impressions for all the final American Idol contestants and that's why it was 3 week turnaround versus 2 weeks. He also said they have a new manufacturing process and the products they are getting back are a much better than the previous manufacture. He said they are really impressed with the quality and I would not be disappointed.

Jan 13 2009 - have ear impressions made & send to Livewires with a check for the 250 bucks. No credit card (now I'm wishing I used my credit card if I have any problems, I can dispute it).

Jan 16 2009 - they receive the package from Fex Ex via tracking it on the web.

Jan 19 2009 - called Livewires many times with no answer and finally after 4 tries Sarah (customer service rep) picked up and said they did receive my impressions and they were sent off to the manufacture to be processed. Sarah said it would probably be 3 weeks since they were a little backlogged and to call back around the end of Jan to check on the status.

Jan 29 2009 - called to check on status, no one answered. Left message for someone to call me back.

Jan 30 2009 - called to check on the status, since it had been 2 weeks, and I was thinking they were going to say another week. On the second call, finally Sarah picked up and said that it was probably going to be another 2 weeks. She said they have a new manufacture and they are a little slower than the first but the quality is better.

Feb 2 2009 - Sarah called me back from the message I left and I said I talked to her on Friday. So this tells me they have no customer database where they enter in notes on who called and what there problem was. But then again, I was a little relieved that someone actually called me back.

Feb 10 2009 - called Livewires and some guy picked up on the 2nd ring. I asked him the status of my order since it had been almost 4 weeks. He said "Sarah is on the other line, but if I take your name and number, she will get back to you". Gave him my info and Sarah called me back with the disappointing news. She said it would probably be another 4 weeks to get my Livewires back and not to expect them before the end of March. I said "the end of March would be 10 weeks". She sugar coated her response and said "I'm telling you the end of March so when you get them back in the middle of March, you'll be happy". WHAT!?!?! I said that's a drastic thing to say when you're whole process was to take 3 weeks!!!!!! I was mad!

If they knew it was going to take 8 weeks, why do they keep telling their customers 2 to 3 weeks. Reading through some of these posts, Livewires customers were saying it was taking 8 weeks back in late December and early Jan, so why are they still on the 2 to 3 week kick? Bad business. Sarah said that she was sorry (I think that's a common word for her in customer service there) and the only thing she could do was reassure me that they are working on the process and in the future it should be more streamlined. I was going to grab a pair of these IEM and then have the rest of my band get them also before playing out this summer, but know going through all this process, I'm thinking the 400 bucks more for the Ultimate Ears and the 10 day turnaround time is worth it. At least when you call UE, they can walk over to the lab and tell you what stage your IEM's are in. Sounds like from Livewires, it's a send and forget process. Plus it seems that their turnaround times have been consistent with 8 weeks since October.

I'm ok with it taking 8 weeks, there is not much I can do about it now expect cancel my order, but I've invested this much time and effort into it, I might as well go through with it for the price. I'm just going to be at a loss if I receive my IEM and they don't fit perfectly or don't sound perfect. I'm defiantly going to exercise my 30 day back guarantee if they are not perfect and go with another company, even if I have to have another ear impression completed.

I just wish they would of told me 8 weeks when I started this process so I wouldn't be disappointed with the turn around time.

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #3,334 of 3,902
I am alive and well, and still loving my Livewires!

I am travelling/flying a lot and unable to frequent this thread as I used to.

Livewires have been my constant companion, but I had one gut wrenching moment recently.

I accidently left my Livewires + Clix2+ container in the magazine rack of the plane flying home. I only discovered a day later that they were missing, and remembered where I last saw them. it's an awful feeling!

I desperately phoned lost property, and my heart sank further when they couldn't locate them. I was flying the following week and decided to pop into lost property at the airport. They gave me a blank look when I asked, but I made them search a large box of lost property. I saw them pull out my Livewires!!!

They had returned via another flight from Bristol...I hadn't gone or come from Bristol, so I'm guessing the plane I was on flew there afterwards, where they were found.

If I had lost my Livewires forever, then I would have ordered a new pair in a heartbeat, teething problems with the new delivery system or not. Even 8 weeks is well worth the wait for these beauties.

Back to my music, bye for now.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #3,336 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am alive and well, and still loving my Livewires!

I am travelling/flying a lot and unable to frequent this thread as I used to.

Livewires have been my constant companion, but I had one gut wrenching moment recently.

I accidently left my Livewires + Clix2+ container in the magazine rack of the plane flying home. I only discovered a day later that they were missing, and remembered where I last saw them. it's an awful feeling!

I desperately phoned lost property, and my heart sank further when they couldn't locate them. I was flying the following week and decided to pop into lost property at the airport. They gave me a blank look when I asked, but I made them search a large box of lost property. I saw them pull out my Livewires!!!

They had returned via another flight from Bristol...I hadn't gone or come from Bristol, so I'm guessing the plane I was on flew there afterwards, where they were found.

If I had lost my Livewires forever, then I would have ordered a new pair in a heartbeat, teething problems with the new delivery system or not. Even 8 weeks is well worth the wait for these beauties.

Back to my music, bye for now.

You got very lucky getting those back. I assumer the Clix is MIA?

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #3,337 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You got very lucky getting those back. I assumer the Clix is MIA?

No, I got everything back! It's amazing, I thought someone would dump the Livewires as they're customs, but keep the Clix.

Someone's watching over me ;o)

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #3,338 of 3,902
Quote:

No, I got everything back! It's amazing, I thought someone would dump the Livewires as they're customs, but keep the Clix.

Glad to hear it. After the effort to finally find what works for you portably it'd be a pain to have to get it all together again.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #3,339 of 3,902
Quote:

It may not make that much difference to you, but so far my wait is up to 12 weeks. Just phoned today and was told that they expect to ship next Monday. I'm hoping:
1. They meet that commitment.
2. I find the sound quality is as good as you and many others have indicated.
3. I get a perfect fit so I don't have to send them back for rework.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #3,340 of 3,902
Quote:

Man!! that's great to know....there is still decent people around.
P.s I'm one of the few people that my LW in 2 weeks.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #3,341 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by markheaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may not make that much difference to you, but so far my wait is up to 12 weeks. Just phoned today and was told that they expect to ship next Monday. I'm hoping:

Normally don't buy into the frustrations expressed in this thread but did want to indicate:

YES, it is very frustrating when others set up expectations that they don't meet and it can be equally frustrating for you if you also set up expectations that aren't met.

So I would suggest your list, although a good set of aims, does really need to be seen as that: aims. This thread makes it clear that when they say they 'expect' to ship on a certain date that isn't a 'commitment' (your jump in terms that sets you up for a sense of disappointment and frustration IMHO).

Similarly, your perception of the SQ will be dependent on the overall synergy of all the equipment you use as well as your personal preferences and, IIRC, a bit of time for you to adjust to them in your ears (which is why they had a 30 Day return policy IIRC).

In terms of 'fit' being right first time the averages seem to indicate that although that works out for a majority of people there is still a reasonable percentage of rework required (as with any fully personalised item, and yes I am speaking from personal experience with LWs) - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/liv...return-297659/.

Markheaps, I've been at the keen point in time where you are now. I can tell you from the (much recognised as 'invaluable') point of hindsight that if you set such concrete expectations then you have a good chance of having set yourself up for a degree of frustration. And I for one would prefer you not to get yourself frustrated by it all.

The other point hindsight can convey is that the overall waiting time and potentially tweaking/refitting time to get to the sound your seeking will, in context over time, be so small compared to the time you'll spend enjoying them. I, luckilly, only spent a few months experimenting with a few IEMs before finding and tweaking (via recabling) my Livewires. And, boy, do they get more a workout than any other headphone or IEM I have.

So, like Kosmic, if I had the frustration of having lost them I'd see even 12 weeks as a small delay, compared to the years of listening at that level of enjoyment again after I'd got them.

But, of course, this is real life with all its variations, so YMMV.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #3,342 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I would suggest your list, although a good set of aims, does really need to be seen as that: aims. This thread makes it clear that when they say they 'expect' to ship on a certain date that isn't a 'commitment' (your jump in terms that sets you up for a sense of disappointment and frustration IMHO).

Right! I didn't mean to imply that those were concrete expectations... Just hopes that in a perfect world would become reality. But I've been around long enough to realize that the world ain't perfect. I knew when I placed the order that it was going to be more than the 3 weeks they indicated, and that (especially since these are my first venture into the customs world) I may have some trouble either getting a proper fit or getting used to the feel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other point hindsight can convey is that the overall waiting time and potentially tweaking/refitting time to get to the sound your seeking will, in context over time, be so small compared to the time you'll spend enjoying them. I, luckilly, only spent a few months experimenting with a few IEMs before finding and tweaking (via recabling) my Livewires. And, boy, do they get more a workout than any other headphone or IEM I have.

And that's my real goal: to eventually end up with something that re-introduces me to my music collection in a way that brings a smile to my face. And if this round doesn't get me there, well "life's a journey". I'll just keep traveling.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #3,343 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by markheaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hope the best for you, the wait is all a matter of perspectives.

They are well worth the wait for me.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #3,344 of 3,902
I ordered a set of those on Jan. 5th,
and just got this email :
"..As for the status of your LiveWires, we are expecting them in Mid- March. We have been working with a new manufacturer, and though they are producing LiveWires better than ever, they are much slower than we are used to...."

smily_headphones1.gif
I can't wait to get them. i got clear/clear btw

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #3,345 of 3,902
QUESTIONS OF THE DAY:
YOUR COMPETITOR HAS A
ROTATING CONNECTOR
IS THAT BETTER?
You have to ask yourself...is a actual "MOVING PART" on a monitor a good or bad idea! Anything that moves on the monitor will wear out quickly.
The connector is huge, gold and dead in the middle of the unit.
This is esthetically unpleasing and cannot wrap around your ear correctly...
This is why they don't show it being worn!
Our jack is on the top of the ear so the cord (and ear guard) wrap tightly & neatly around the ear.

i found it on the alien eras website, found it pretty funny.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back