Livewires - California Dreamin'
Sep 4, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #2,911 of 3,902
Hi, everyone, please count me in!

First of all, I would like to let everyone know about a bit of my stories before I made my mind ordering Livewires. I've had budget for the FreQ Show, and in fact, FreQ still awaiting my confirmation with my order and I've yet told them I'm no more getting it. The problem was, the more I read in FreQ impressions thread (I've finished gone through every pages!), the more it made me worry if I will regret getting the FreQ Show. There were too many mixed reviews in the thread, and I found out that out of most positive comments were from the same few persons. And I've heard numerous comments of the mid being too pronounced and the high is not as good as Ety and so on and so on.

But I found lots of fine reviews about Livewires not only from forums, but also from official reviews. And most reviews concluded with similar comments which it seems like it is something I'm actually looking for and worth getting without taking too much risk if I didn't like it at the end. There is no resale value on these things, so, I wanted to make my decision very carefully and my budget is tide.

So, I've made my decision and go with the Livewires, I've made an order, I had even talked directly to John, and he said he really appreciate my call and it sounded like I'm so far the only buyer from Malaysia!

My impressions are on the way to them, and really hope it won't take more than 3 weeks for the end product to be shipped to me.

I told John about my concern that I heard it is very common it take more than 6 weeks for international orders. He said to me that the issue had no more exist, and they manage to get things done within 2 weeks, is that really true?? really can't wait to see mine!!!

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #2,912 of 3,902
@ precsmo Congratulations! Welcome to team Livewire, I'm sure that you will love :-D

Sep 4, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #2,913 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ precsmo Congratulations! Welcome to team Livewire, I'm sure that you will love :-D

Thanks! I'm very excited! And this is really torturing!!! Yes, let me make some complaint to Earpeace and John, this is torturing to me! Torturing in the sense that I'm so excited and it needs about a month before I can receive them. Also, it is torturing that I'm so excited and I got to worry if the ear impressions will reach there so far away from Malaysia, at times I don't really trust my local courier company. Also, it is torturing that I'm worried if the fit issue will happen to me when I receive them. Hope everything works out for me!

By looking at the photos, I already in love with how they look! Some say it is ugly, and they go for FreQ, this is so personal. Livewires look so sleek to me, especially the connector, but as to others has been hoping, I hope the connector is in black colour, as I've opt for the faceplate colour in black.

Sep 4, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #2,914 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by precsmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By looking at the photos, I already in love with how they look! Some say it is ugly, and they go for FreQ, this is so personal. Livewires look so sleek to me, especially the connector, but as to others has been hoping, I hope the connector is in black colour, as I've opt for the faceplate colour in black.

I believe they will only paint the connector black if request them to do so, and based on some pictures they don't do that well of a job.

Refer to this thread for more information on "unblinging" your LiveWires connectors. I think one of the best jobs done is by matias m. (page 4):

livewiresmod2.jpg

Sep 4, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #2,915 of 3,902
I already got some ideas how to turn the connectors black, it should work well, I will share some pictures once I got it done.

BTW, can any Mini 3 and Livewires owners share some idea with me? I used to have a Mini3 and I loved it, I sold it just last 3 weeks as I've sold my Ipod 160gb and I've got a lovely Zune 80gb, I didn't intend to use an amp with my just sold off Ety ER-4p with the Zune.

I love Mini 3 amp especially in bass departments. So, I'm planning to build another one, but this time, since my coming Livewires can be driven very easily, and since it is so sensitive, can some one experience to advice if I should build the amp at gain 2 (lowest gain), so that to reduce the hiss if any, and with the Mini 3 I hope it will tighten the bass further?

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #2,916 of 3,902
Quote:

BTW, can any Mini 3 and Livewires owners share some idea with me? ...I love Mini 3 amp especially in bass departments. So, I'm planning to build another one, but this time, since my coming Livewires can be driven very easily, and since it is so sensitive, can some one experience to advice if I should build the amp at gain 2 (lowest gain), so that to reduce the hiss if any, and with the Mini 3 I hope it will tighten the bass further?

Quote:

Hi, everyone, please count me in!

...And I've heard numerous comments of the mid being too pronounced and the high is not as good as Ety and so on and so on.

Welcome to the club.
icon10.gif

First, I think the highs on the LWs are also not as good as the Etys (but they're still VERY good, and I didn't know any better till I'd A-B-ed with the Etys).

Second, I have two Mini3s that are both at gain 5 and work fine with the LWs and the Etys. I decided to keep that gain so they could also drive larger headphones and I don't know how much a gain of 2 will reduce hiss and tighten the bass further - perhaps someone who has a gain of 2 Mini3 could chip in with their impressions?

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #2,917 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the club.
icon10.gif

First, I think the highs on the LWs are also not as good as the Etys (but they're still VERY good, and I didn't know any better till I'd A-B-ed with the Etys).

Second, I have two Mini3s that are both at gain 5 and work fine with the LWs and the Etys. I decided to keep that gain so they could also drive larger headphones and I don't know how much a gain of 2 will reduce hiss and tighten the bass further - perhaps someone who has a gain of 2 Mini3 could chip in with their impressions?

Hi, thanks and sorry for the miss communications. What I meant was I hope using the Mini3 with my Zune so that it can tighten and enhance the bass further, and decreasing the gain to the minimum possible and hope it will reduce the hissing problem if any.

BTW, I'm still worry if the Livewires is for me. I not sure I'm very sensitive to trebles, I hate ear pearcing highs. My first audiophile headphone was the HD580, I bought it because it was affordable and it has been praised legendary till now, but the more I listen to it, the more I cannot accept it with the ear pearcing high. I'm not sure why, it is just too much and too suffering for me. Untill I got my Ety, I have been so pleased with it, and I traded it for Livewire hoping to have the bass everyone has been praising, and of course the custom mold hoping that i won't feel painful after just 40 mins wearing the Ety.

So, can anyone share with me if the treble of Livewires is towards high or slightly less than Ety? I would be very happy even if it is lesser than Ety if we can quantitizing it by saying this way.

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #2,918 of 3,902
Quote:

So, can anyone share with me if the treble of Livewires is towards high or slightly less than Ety? I would be very happy even if it is lesser than Ety if we can quantitizing it by saying this way.

Yep, less treble than ety.

BTW, if the fit is not great at first, try and stick with it for a week or so, unless it's loose or hurts. I wasn't 100% happy with mine at first and was going to modify the fit myself, but never got time and now I'm happy with them, after wearing them everyday. Not sure why, but I don't feel the need to change the fit now.

I think using silicon for the IEMs would be the ultimate. I have some custom silicon ear plugs and they are stupendously comfortable.

The only ones I know of are Earproof (from the Netherlands I think), but they are expensive, UE11 money for the T2 twin driver model, apparently excellent. Not much talk about them but I'd love to try them some day.

Also, I made a short vid for people who can't the cable to sit behind your ear and don't have a cable with memory wire. It's quite a low budget production but here it is
smily_headphones1.gif
:

LWcable.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #2,919 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, less treble than ety.

That is good news to me! I don't mine it is slightly inferior that Ety!

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #2,920 of 3,902
Congrats! If the fit isnt great at first and hurts a little, stick with it, your ears will get used to it. They have less treble than Ety, but still balanced, and lots of tight deep bass... You will love them.

And if they paint the connectors the job isnt as good as if you DIY, but they are black as soon as you get them, and i was going on holiday, so i opted for them to do it so i could go out with them stealthy!

The only problem with painting them is that it fills in the cuts on the left and right for your nails, so the connectors are harder to get a grasp of and pull out.

Update us!

Matt

Sep 5, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #2,921 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! If the fit isnt great at first and hurts a little, stick with it, your ears will get used to it. They have less treble than Ety, but still balanced, and lots of tight deep bass... You will love them.

And if they paint the connectors the job isnt as good as if you DIY, but they are black as soon as you get them, and i was going on holiday, so i opted for them to do it so i could go out with them stealthy!

The only problem with painting them is that it fills in the cuts on the left and right for your nails, so the connectors are harder to get a grasp of and pull out.

Update us!

Matt

Thanks for the warmth welcome, I will sure update everyone with pics and impressions once I got mind. My impressions are on the way to them, probably will reach there next Monday. And hopely I will get the gems less than 3 weeks, I told John that I've been concerning if it will take at least 6 weeks for international orders. But he told me they have outcome the problem and the production is very fast now, it should take about 2 weeks. So, let see.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #2,922 of 3,902
Precsmo , welcome to the LiveWires Family.
I'm sure you won't regret for i did not regret one tiny bit myself!
^___^
i'm sure you'll love it and never turn your head back again.
And i'm pretty sure their productions time is alot quicker now!
Please do let us know how it goes.

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #2,923 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiyako /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Precsmo , welcome to the LiveWires Family.
I'm sure you won't regret for i did not regret one tiny bit myself!
^___^
i'm sure you'll love it and never turn your head back again.
And i'm pretty sure their productions time is alot quicker now!
Please do let us know how it goes.

No problem, thanks Tiyako. BTW, I've opt for clear shells and black faceplates as I like sleek and neutral colours. I will let everyone know once I got it, probably end of this month.

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #2,924 of 3,902
Quote:

And hopely I will get the gems less than 3 weeks, I told John that I've been concerning if it will take at least 6 weeks for international orders. But he told me they have outcome the problem and the production is very fast now, it should take about 2 weeks. So, let see.

I sure hope that's the case! From the sound of things John tends to understate things frequently. Crossing my fingers for you though!

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #2,925 of 3,902
not that probably any of you care
smily_headphones1.gif
but about the NIN reply a couple days ago, I'm pretty sure Trent is using FreQ Show. Found a good shot of the IEM he is using and it has the same connector and memory jacket thing as shown on the webpage for them.

damn, wished they were LW.

Also it looks like the keyboardist is using some Freqs but with white faceplate, the bassist has a black faceplate, but the guitarist and drummer have clear IEM of some kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back