Livewires - California Dreamin'
Jul 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #2,732 of 3,902
How is silver supposed to sound after 120hours? So far the silver cables i've tried before (interconnect cables) all give a very clear sound with very lean bass.

So you're saying that silver will actually sound better than Jena Cryo after the burn in? Better meaning wam fat bass with the pristine details that silver gives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sharpness and lessened warmth is just a sign of lack of burn in. Give silver 120+ hours and THEN listen.

Do you know the guage of the silver, FMT? Thinnest is generally best SQ after burn in (but with portable equipment durability becomes a factor
rolleyes.gif
).

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #2,733 of 3,902
It took all of my several APureSound silver cables with copper core about 100 to loose the bright sheen over the sound. I almost wish it had stayed with my Edition 9.

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #2,734 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats 5 days of burn in gosh!

How can you say gosh to just 5 days when you know how long the Toma and Pred burn ins took?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by vii_haven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is silver supposed to sound after 120hours? So far the silver cables i've tried before (interconnect cables) all give a very clear sound with very lean bass.

So you're saying that silver will actually sound better than Jena Cryo after the burn in? Better meaning wam fat bass with the pristine details that silver gives?

No, burn in does as HPAddict indicates, removes the abrasiveness at the top end which reveals more of the bass depending on the silver used. It's not going to sound fat like copper, but it is (generaly) going to have more detail than copper (which is why APS (and others) use a blend of the two
wink.gif
).

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #2,735 of 3,902
Quote:

No, burn in does as HPAddict indicates, removes the abrasiveness at the top end which reveals more of the bass depending on the silver used. It's not going to sound fat like copper, but it is (generaly) going to have more detail than copper (which is why APS (and others) use a blend of the two
wink.gif
).

I see. Thanks for the tip!

Steven! How about a blend of the silver and Jena cables? =)

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #2,736 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So all of us on the list will recieve both test cables?

Any ideas on pricing yet Steven?

I still have 2 more ideas to try before deciding which are the best, but I will send at least 2, probably 3 around for people to listen to. Plus I want to burn them in a bit first.

Still going to be a little while.

No idea on price yet but the soldering inside these connectors is a pain in the butt! Especially with the heavier wire like Jena.

I do have some very thin silver wire coming to try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Build quality: it's a StevenKelby, of course its gonna be good, very very well built cables, look so hot!

Thanks Jai
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishSauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FMT, does microphonic much worse compare to a LW stock cable ? and how's treble on Cryo cable.

Is it 20 AWG or 22 AWG or smaller wire?

The microphonics are worse than standard with these 2 yes.

The silver cable is stiffer and I had to cover in nylon to kill the microphonics, which makes it fine. The bits going from the LWs to the Y split are still microphonic though.

Wearing them over your ears gets rid of most of the microphonics from the Jena wire, which isn't too bad to start with, but still worse than stock.

The thing I've discovered is that with the standard wires used in most buds/IEMs, especially with all the cheap Senn buds I’ve been reterminating (to 2.5mm for a Deaf SA – long story), the strands of wire are actually wrapped around, and sometimes intertwined with, some threads of something which is very strong and non conductive, maybe Kevlar or kapton or something. It doesn’t burn easy and is hard to cut. This stuff gives the cheap cables their strength, there is very little conductor in it. The thread stuff is very flexible, and with little wire in the cable and soft rubber insulation, the whole thing is very supple but doesn’t sound great.

The Jena wire is very supple and soft considering it’s size, but they don’t and won’t (I asked) make anything smaller than 22G.

The high end wires are very pure and sound great, but even the thinnest gages are stiffer and microphonic as they are all metal, stranded or not. So it doesn’t seem possible to find a wire as soft and supple as the stock one but still with a high-end sound quality.

That’s my theory anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Do you know the guage of the silver, FMT? Thinnest is generally best SQ after burn in (but with portable equipment durability becomes a factor
rolleyes.gif
).

The silver in that black cable is 26G. I have some 30 and 33G coming too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vii_haven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Steven! How about a blend of the silver and Jena cables? =)

That's certainly in my plans
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #2,738 of 3,902
I am a drummer and am looking to purchase custom IEM's. The price of the Livewires is really attractive compared to most others that are "endorsed" by local audiologists. I have a friend who's insurance paid for her Westone ES2's and she loves them. I have tried M-Audio IE-30 Professional Reference Earphones and I thought they were crap. The bass response was almost non existent which is absolutely unacceptable for a drummer. I can get the Westone's through and audiologist for $800 (us) plus the cost of the molds/impressions. I realize that most here are listening to recorded music and I appreciate all the opinions, but I would be very interested in hearing from someone that has used the Livewires for live performance. Thanks in advance!
Chris

By the way, if it makes a difference, here is my gear I currently use live:
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones
PreSonus HP4 Discrete 4-Channel Headphone Amp
Allen & Heath GL2400-16 Live Console

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #2,739 of 3,902
Hey I'm a drummer too and i play very frequently with my worship band. I monitor out of an AVIOM system connected to a Shure PSM700 system. I've been using the Livewires for the past year or so and they've been just great. The frequency response is as 'flat' as you get so your sound is accurate (and its good for eq-ing as well), the decay is quick so the sound doesn't get muddied up in the mix in your ears, bass is tight and deep, the custom molds really do a lot for isolation.

However if you have the dough to spend, i'd advice you to go for Futuresonics Customs. That's the next thing i'm looking at. I've heard the Atrio (the Futuresonics Universal IEM) and i've gotten one for myself, and when i save enough, Futuresonics Customs are the ones i'm getting. Skip the UE11pro, the UE10pro, the ES2, ES3, for stage use, and for bassists and drummers, i really think the Futuresonics really cut it.

Just my 2cents worth! =)

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #2,740 of 3,902
Well, I called up LWs today and Catherine straight up said, "C'mon over, the FedEX man is bringing them in today!" Imagine my surprise! 20 minutes later, I pulled into the complex, and inserted the right monitor that had been missing for so long.

Here are the results:

Sometimes, when I open my mouth really wide, the seal will break. However, it seems as if I may have put them in wrong because at this second, I cannot break the seal no matter what I do with my mouth. The only way to open wider is to do the ol' Burmese Python method (dislocation of the jaw) and that's a little painful!

Right now, I'm listening to Dream Theater's Images and Words (not for sonic quality, but for the fact that it totally rules!). I'm driving it with my Total Bithead and while there's an improvement over unamped, it's not great enough to haul it around everywhere I go. The LiveWires are driven well enough by the iPhone 3G to satisfy me and that, above all else, is what matters.

Finally! The two month (and two days) journey is OVER and I'm finally enjoying my LWs! While the Shures are a more "fun" IEM, the LWs bring more detail out in more areas and aren't as muddy. Their sound signature resembles my Grado SR60s (STILL my favorites!) and are now going to be my cans of choice. Thanks to Kosmic, HeadphoneAddict (with the greatest avatar EVER!), Big Poppa, and Baines93 for leading this thread and pushing me to purchase these pieces of audio heaven!

Chalk up another satisfied customer for LiveWires! Now, if I can just get Kosmic's push-out method down on the right side...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #2,741 of 3,902
I took my Livewires over to the local AT&T store, and listened through the headphone out, and it wasn't bad at all. It seemed to sound better than I remember when I tried the original iPhone.

What did piss me off was that none of my SIX portable line out docks would work on the iPhone 3G, while the 2G was just fine. The only dock I didn't try was my Sendstation Pocket dock which I didn't have with me (or my DLO Homedock Deluxe). I did try the Predator via the iPhone 3G dock, using a silk insulated silver mini-mini, and was pleased with the sound except for the low bit rate they had on the 3G was more detectable.

Basically, Livewires do a decent job without amplification, if the source is up to the task. BTW, I left the store without buying the iPhone.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #2,743 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did piss me off was that none of my SIX portable line out docks would work on the iPhone 3G, while the 2G was just fine. The only dock I didn't try was my Sendstation Pocket dock which I didn't have with me (or my DLO Homedock Deluxe). I did try the Predator via the iPhone 3G dock, using a silk insulated silver mini-mini, and was pleased with the sound except for the low bit rate they had on the 3G was more detectable.

I'm totally gonna geek out on you here. The reason for your dock connectors not working is that Apple discontinued the firewire-pins on their line-out ports. It gave the engineers too much trouble to have two different electrical paths to power the iPhone, so they stuck with the USB path. They told manufacturers this a while ago, but I guess some didn't listen. Do not fret, my friend, because Belkin or someone similar will be coming out with a converter/adaptor and our old accessories will work again!

With that said, I wish my Total BitHead wasn't so much bigger than the iPhone, it's kind of a pain to haul around. But, since I don't consider myself an audiophile, I'm not going to drop 500 beans on a Predator. I like the convenience of having a DAC and amp all-in-one, but $500 for a portable?! Just on a whim, does anyone have a suggestion?

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #2,745 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by TStewart422 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm totally gonna geek out on you here. The reason for your dock connectors not working is that Apple discontinued the firewire-pins on their line-out ports. It gave the engineers too much trouble to have two different electrical paths to power the iPhone, so they stuck with the USB path. They told manufacturers this a while ago, but I guess some didn't listen. Do not fret, my friend, because Belkin or someone similar will be coming out with a converter/adaptor and our old accessories will work again!

With that said, I wish my Total BitHead wasn't so much bigger than the iPhone, it's kind of a pain to haul around. But, since I don't consider myself an audiophile, I'm not going to drop 500 beans on a Predator. I like the convenience of having a DAC and amp all-in-one, but $500 for a portable?! Just on a whim, does anyone have a suggestion?

Well, what do I do with my $185 ALO Jumbo Cryo Silver X LOD, or my $60 barqy silk insulater 99.9 silver LOD, or my $40 S2 Audio silver plated copper LOD, etc...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back