Livewires - California Dreamin'
Mar 6, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #1,022 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Livewires fit great in the Westone Clam Shell case and the Shure Oval Earphone Carrying Case. They also fit in the soft Westone coin purse type case that come with custom earplugs.

Portable amps are good with them. In that price range I think the iBasso D1 with AD797 opamps and the Headstage Lyrix Total Pro work great with the Livewires, and they have the benefit of a DAC to use with a computer.

The Xin Super Macro 3 v3 with AD797 is also great with the Livewires, but you have to buy used (under $200) because Dr. Xin hasn't come out his burrow for a while, some people have been waiting 12 months for their orders. The Livewires are phenomenal with the RSA Predator, but that is out of your price range ($475).

I didn't like the Tomahawk with the LW, too much highs (but perfect with SE530). The Meier HeadSix was okay with the Livewires but is not optimal because it's a little too forward with not quite enough bass with LiveWires (although HeadSix is a great match with Darth Beyer Shallow Cup and Proline 2500 and HD600 and Denon C700). HeadSix doesn't make the LW sound bad, just not as good as they could be.

*like where would be the cheapest site i can buy IBasso D1 from?"
THANK YOU!
For Desktop amps (not portable) I love the Meier HeadFive with them.

Wow! Thx you for your detailed reply , Headphoneaddict. i'm still new to the whole "audio" system and related electronics...i'm actually starting to read the " The New & Improved™ Tube FAQ for Newbies!" from the Amp Section of the forum. Learning how amp works. i want to do alittle research on the amps you've recommended me. Where can i buy them online? Because i don't live in the US, i live in Vancouver , BC , canada.
and i heard a good little amp called: Little Dot MKIII.
I'm new to all these electronics and still learning like a blank piece of paper.
tongue.gif

Thank You Very Much!
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #1,023 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiyako /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and i heard a good little amp called: Little Dot MKIII.

That is a desktop tube amp.

If you want a portbale amp, you are looking at solid state.

Like HPA said, the SMIII (used) is a top amp, it is not too big either.

If you want a dac function, for use with computers, the IBasso D1 is good for you, although from the photos it looks huge, so if you dont need a dac, SMIII is a winner.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #1,024 of 3,902
If you want a case that you could run over with a bus (literally) then get a Pelican 1010 and a foam insert. I used to use mine for my livewires until i got my iriver DAP, which now occupies the pelican, so i use the UE square/round metal case for my livewires now.

I'm thinking that i might actually like the tomahawk with the livewires going by what HPA is saying, as i feel they need a bit of a boost in the upper frequencies. Still want to hear how the iBasso D2 works with them though, especially on the hiss front.

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #1,025 of 3,902
is it worth it getting livewires (customs) at 17? is their a thread that talks about this???

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #1,028 of 3,902
^oh ok thanks. I will give them a call

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #1,029 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by boclcown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if it makes a difference which Livewires place I send my impressions to? Is the California one going to be better than the Tennessee one?

On the order form they specify which address to send the livewires to, depending on the company you use to ship them. Both of them are in California. One is a P.O. box i believe, specifically for USPS.

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #1,031 of 3,902
Quote:

Hm... I had a correspondence with a Livewires person who is situated in TN...?

Okay, but by going to the order from, they want the impressions shipped to California, which is probably closer to where they make the livewires than Tennessee.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #1,032 of 3,902
Quote:

Does anyone know if it makes a difference which Livewires place I send my impressions to? Is the California one going to be better than the Tennessee one?

OK, You do need to ship them to Cali. They inspect the molds there and ship them to the Carolina's. Don't remember which one. The finished IEM's will be shipped back to Cali, inspected and then back to you. 3 weeks or so is not bad with all the shipping.

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #1,033 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, You do need to ship them to Cali. They inspect the molds there and ship them to the Carolina's. Don't remember which one. The finished IEM's will be shipped back to Cali, inspected and then back to you. 3 weeks or so is not bad with all the shipping.

Thats why i takes so long, the livewires are shipped left and right. I'm still waiting for mine, 4 weeks now.

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #1,034 of 3,902
PostLady left me a nice new set of Livewires today!

Enjoying the 2nd set of Zeppelins 4/27/69 show as I type this. Very nice.

The transparency of the phones' and the lack of physical presence on my head is quite an experience. Gets you that much closer.

Back to the music.

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #1,035 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by dum_71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PostLady left me a nice new set of Livewires today!

Enjoying the 2nd set of Zeppelins 4/27/69 show as I type this. Very nice.

The transparency of the phones' and the lack of physical presence on my head is quite an experience. Gets you that much closer.

Back to the music.

Good Stuff! (ken36 style!)

Welcome to the LW Fan Group.

Pictures! Please, while i wait for mine! Ease the wait!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back