Livewires Bass?
Mar 24, 2008 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

ezzieyguywuf

100+ Head-Fier
Are livewires a dumb choice for a bass head? I'm not saying I want all my music to be bassy, but when I switch to my Jeezy album or Cam'ron's killa cam (I only mention this song b/c of the heavy bass, I really don't like the song itself :-D ) I want it to punch me in the head, not be lost in the background. I hear these livewires are pretty much flat, which is good, but do they get the bass-job done when it needs doing?

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 43
If the track has bass the livewires show it very well. I've had my livewires for a couple days and the bass these things have really surprised me.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #4 of 43
thats very refreshing to hear :-D any tracks in particular that you felt the bass shine?

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 43
Livewires has great bass.

The bass is fast, well defined and controlled. It doesn't suffer from being woolly or overblown. If good bass is in the recording you'll hear it as it's meant to be.

I've also found Livewires respond really well to EQ. I have my bass EQ on full, and it's satisfying in everyway.

Earthshplitting Bass
EarthshatteringBass.jpg

How low do you want to go?

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 43
I am a bass player in a band and I use these on stage. The bass guitar and the kick drum come through pretty well with LW's. You want to get a good seal to vibrate the bones in your head for some awesome low end.

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 43
... and the quality of the seal is governed by the quality of the mold, correct? Also, how do these sound coming out of a DAP, ie the iaudio X5 (my current player) or the cowon D2 (near future player)?

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and the quality of the seal is governed by the quality of the mold, correct? Also, how do these sound coming out of a DAP, ie the iaudio X5 (my current player) or the cowon D2 (near future player)?

Yes, the fit and seal you get depends on how good your impressions are. Open mouthed seems to be the preferred option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do Alicia Keyes "No One"

The thump in the beginning translates nice! They should sound great out of your X5 I know that for sure...I really miss my X5! =(

I love that track, definately a good test of bass with the livewires.

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 43
I am also curious about the bass on the Livewires. Does anyone own both the LW and a Sennheiser HD580 or 600? Over on one of the Freq threads, someone mentioned that their SuperFreqs had much better bass than their 580s, and that raised a little red flag for me. I think the bass on my HD600s is perfect as it is and I wouldn't want to buy anything with an exaggerated bass response. How does the bass on the LWs compare to the 580/600?

I just had my impressions done today, and I am trying to decide in the next 2 days whether to go with the LW or the SF...

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 43
I have the LIvewires and the HD 580's. These are completely different beasts. The Livewires sound a little thin before you burn them in a 100 hours or so. The bass comes nicely, not boomy but fast and tight. The Senns have a completely different sound, a little laid back and darker than the Livewires. You really can't compare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back