Livewires Bass?
Mar 25, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i did open mouth was trying to stay still the whole time. I was their for 10 minutes, my mouth was sore from being open. They were probably dry by then, then the receptionist lady walked by and laughed at me and spit went all over my pants and i was laughing but was trying not to...

Lol i had the same problem with the drooling
biggrin.gif

Its definately advisable to bring a tissue along.

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by boclcown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jelle, bump is just the act of getting a thread back to the front page of the forum.

I do hope that the LW's seal well for me, because the supposed lack-luster bass was the only thing keeping me from buying them. I went through with the purchase anyways, so I hope I'm not dissapointed.

Oke, thanks!

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well bass is the low frequency that kills your ears so even if it was a little lacking i am sure you would thank yourself in the future.

I am sure they aren't lacking though

Because really low frequencies are mostly heard by your skin, i am not sure the bass damages the ear. It's the high frequenties that go first.

Edit: And also, I still have to found the first IEM (and headphone for that manner) that can reproduce a 40hz-80hz signal at full strength. Meaning 0dB and not minus a 2 digit number. This means, that at normal listening, the mids and highs overrule (dB wise) the lows and should be more damaging anyhow.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by standingamazed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just received my LW in the mail this afternoon. My first impressions were that the bass was extremely lacking. However, after listening for about an hour or two...I think the bass might be starting to develop....maybe. I'm comparing them to Westone UM2's (which I love), but I've also heard that the UM2's have exaggerated bass.

I got the clear on clear LW's. And judging by the track record with that color scheme...I'd stay away. I'm not the first person with that option to have a bad fit. It looks like I will be sending these back in, to have them built up some more. It is really hard to get a seal as of now...forget singing. I hope to one day have a stellar report for these!

with all in-ears, the smallest leak will ruine the experience and bass is the first to suffer.

2 things:

First; impressions. It is really important that your earchannel is as wide as possible while taking impressions. You can do this by bitting (with little force) on a big piece of wood or something like it. So the jaw is open en does not move. Also tilt you head back. And most of all, don't move your jar/head and do not speak while the putty is hardening in your ears.

livewires_270x202.jpg

Second, the livewires uses balanced armature drivers 1 2 3 4 (like the rest except ohrundmore.de and mayby future sonics). These kind of drivers take a long while to get working properly. Think a 100 hours or so. After the burn-in period, the sound will get smoother and the bass gets louder/fatter/fuller. Initialy these drivers sound harsh en tiny by the lack of bass because the metal diagram is stiff and needs to soften up by being flexed a lot. With my Shure E3 i've connected them to a discman with a repeating pinknoise cd and gradaly increased the volume over a couple of days to shorten the burn-in period. A radio not tuned in to a station can also do the job.

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #35 of 43
@filipelli: i'm considering selling my X5 when the D2 comes in, maybe we'll talk :-D

thanks for all the response guys, i'm feeling more and more like the livewires are the way to go. Of course, they're a bit of a step up price-wise compared to the super.fi 5 ebs, so i'll have to get some funds together :-D

Also, I recently started reading up on the sleek sa6s, has anyone compared these to livewires?

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #36 of 43
May I ask what source you're using with the LW?
Because on one of my source, the LW does lacking the bass. And I think that's the source's fault.
That is Creative's SX USB soundcard. It have very decent RMAA performance. I did the test myself and the result is here:
RightMark Audio Analyzer test : SB SX
Judging from this, there should be no lacking in bass, but after I plug the LW directly into the headphone out on the SX. The bass is virtually gone nowhere.
But on my two portable player or even the AC97 source of my notebook, there is no such problem.
The bass is quite full, on par with most two driver IEMs.
So I decided that's the source' fault. And indeed, after I added an amp to the SX's line-out, the bass would emerging out so alive and clear that it's very good to listen to them.

So, the source is a factor here, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by standingamazed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just received my LW in the mail this afternoon. My first impressions were that the bass was extremely lacking. However, after listening for about an hour or two...I think the bass might be starting to develop....maybe. I'm comparing them to Westone UM2's (which I love), but I've also heard that the UM2's have exaggerated bass.

I got the clear on clear LW's. And judging by the track record with that color scheme...I'd stay away. I'm not the first person with that option to have a bad fit. It looks like I will be sending these back in, to have them built up some more. It is really hard to get a seal as of now...forget singing. I hope to one day have a stellar report for these!

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #37 of 43
I agree, the LW really translate whatever source you match it with. With my zune, the pair is nicely in sync. The zune has a warmer sound signature than the ipod to me, with the exception of the first gen shuffle. Together the LW and Zune are a nice fit. I would be worried with an ipod up to 5.5 gen with the LW alone though.

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #38 of 43
<strike>how about with a cowon d2?</strike>

edit:i didn't get enough sleep last night. i've already asked that!

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #39 of 43
Some sources or DAP lose bass when paired with low impedance headphones, and with a higher impedance the source does a better job - an amp is higher impedance, and presents a different load for the source so it can have a flatter output into the amp.

There was someone who demonstrated that with a DAP - the freq response was much more rolled off in the highs and lows when outputting into a low ohm load, vs a high ohm load (like with an amp) which let the DAP play flatter.

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #40 of 43
low impedance deflates the lows on a dap amp, here some mesurements to back that up.
iPod 3G
and
ipod & zen (& dell)

I was wondering of doing the etymotic 4p to s trick would help, just put a resistor in series to your headphone. you loose volume but gain a better bass response.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #43 of 43
In Ears will always feel like they have less bass then speakers or supra-aural phones.

If you have a good seal (impression) then I have never found a problem with Livewires bass reproduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back