live album recommendation (metal/rock)
Sep 28, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 60
Children of Bodom - Tokyo Warhearts. AMAZING performance on this one, surpasses all their studio recordings imo.

Arcturus - Shipwrecked in Oslo Live DVD. Avant-garde prog-metal. Great performance.

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #17 of 60
Procol Harum - Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (Disc 1)
MC5 - Kick out the Jams
Genesis - Live

[EDIT] WOW - can't believe I missed this: Iron Maiden - Live After Death; Slayer - Live Undead

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #18 of 60
Pain of Salvation - Be Live, both CD and DVD versions.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 60
I'll second The Who Live at Leeds, which is now available in full, with Tommy being performed as well. Haven't picked up this lengthened one yet, but I think its more compressed than the previous (1995) release. Still worth it though. I also concur with VU's Live 1969. There are a plethora of Grateful Dead live recordings as well, available in the Dick's Picks series. I couldn't pick a particular standout; nearly all the concerts I've heard are excellent.

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Best I've heard recently was Wilco's Kicking Television: Live In Chicago

That's the first recent album that came into my head too.

Some others:

Deep Purple: Made in Japan

Frank Zappa/Captain Beefheart: Bongo Fury

Since I'm listening to it right now:

Japan: Oil on Canvas

Which reminds me to mention:

Porcupine Tree: Warszawa

And no love for Frampton Comes Alive?

Sep 29, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #21 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Procol Harum - Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (Disc 1)
MC5 - Kick out the Jams
Genesis - Live

[EDIT] WOW - can't believe I missed this: Iron Maiden - Live After Death; Slayer - Live Undead

Kick out the Jams.What a great album by one of Americas most underated bands.They were so far ahead of their time (1968 or 69) that most people back then just did'nt get it.Not the best recored album of all time but just the raw power and energy the MC5 had was nothing short of amazing.Also one of my personal favorites Alabama Ass Whipping by the Drive By Truckers.

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #24 of 60
Yes - Yessongs
cool.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #25 of 60
In addition to ones already mentioned:

Lou Reed--"Rock and Roll Animal"
Johnny Winter And--"Live"
Rolling Stones--"Get Yer Ya Ya's Out"
Grateful Dead--"Europe '72"
Talking Heads--"The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads."

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #26 of 60
It's been mentioned several times already, but AIC unplugged is a must for rock.

I'll also add Eric Clapton Unplugged
and Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #27 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjjp2
Johnny Winter And--"Live"
"

Yes! Yes! Yes! Johnny Winter And -- "Live" is an absolutely fab live album. Don't be deceived by the awful cover art. It has a killer version of It's My Own Fault and Jumpin' Jack Flash. Definitely one of my favorite live albums.

Oct 1, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #28 of 60
Fates Warning - Still Life

All parts of Pleasant Shade of Grey and some extra songs as well.

Oct 1, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #29 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesbeyondjazz
Kick out the Jams.What a great album by one of Americas most underated bands.They were so far ahead of their time (1968 or 69) that most people back then just did'nt get it.Not the best recored album of all time but just the raw power and energy the MC5 had was nothing short of amazing.Also one of my personal favorites Alabama Ass Whipping by the Drive By Truckers.

You should give the monks a listen sometime. 1964, same german music scene as the beatles, but they had all the elements that later became punk rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back