Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Nov 14, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #12,796 of 13,432
Hello,
Is there anything new for the Little Dot 1+?

Yes, there is. After the repair months ago, it runs mostly stable and normal and better than ever before.
I have no problems with the temperature, after x hours of listening it stays warm to the touch.
So the repair was worth it.

The second point.
By chance I got a set of Lm Ecrission W403B tubes.
And it's really divine to listen to music with them.
Great tubes, the best I've had so far, which I don't think will be topped.
The Ef 92 Brimar were already relatively good, but the Ecrisson are a good deal better in all areas of music.
So if anyone sees them, go ahead and pair them with the Little Dot 1+.
Just don't forget to remove the two dip switches if you haven't switched to Ef 95.
Also, the Little Dot remains stable through the conversion.

In summary, the small investment in the LD1+ was in all respects a huge advantage and leap forward that can be recommended.
Good to hear everything worked out! - I know the crummy feeling when your equipment isn't working or waiting to be fixed...

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #12,797 of 13,432
… not the Mouse Ears as promised (next time) but a very nice sounding couple of Shuguang when matched with Fivre 6BE6 (not sounding so well with C3g)

85E0B9DD-C45A-4368-9876-FBA2D3585201.jpeg

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #12,798 of 13,432
a little update… the Shuguang with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV… tried today just for curiosity, to see if the russian tubes were able to add a little more light and… wow… simply fantastic combo! prefect with piano… church organ… strings… voices… chorus… details, light, air and depth, texture and very good low register, space between instruments, head stage … considering how cheap is this combo I’m really surprised… in my set (sennheiser HD580 with DIY 7N cable based on American patent) this combo can easy compete with other solutions (and set) much more expensive…

20211117_161251.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #12,799 of 13,432
On my Little Dot2 tube roll.
Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV military are amazing. I upgraded just now from the GE JAN 5654w which were a killer upgrade from the factory chineese tubes. I was able to track down a matched pair of the Voshkod's from 1976! People say these open up after a good burn in, but I can already tell the amazing quality over my GE's right out of the box...... If these do in fact open up more, my jaw will drop because these are about the best sounding valves I have ever heard on this amp. The lows are punchy and solid, the mids are crystal clear and the highs are right there in the front. Just killer all around. I guess my JANS are now the back ups.
Now I'm still waiting on the Russian 6N6P Gold grid power finals to show up from Romania!
I would like to hear if anyone has a better combo.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #12,801 of 13,432
On my Little Dot2 tube roll.
Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV military are amazing. I upgraded just now from the GE JAN 5654w which were a killer upgrade from the factory chineese tubes. I was able to track down a matched pair of the Voshkod's from 1976! People say these open up after a good burn in, but I can already tell the amazing quality over my GE's right out of the box...... If these do in fact open up more, my jaw will drop because these are about the best sounding valves I have ever heard on this amp. The lows are punchy and solid, the mids are crystal clear and the highs are right there in the front. Just killer all around. I guess my JANS are now the back ups.
Now I'm still waiting on the Russian 6N6P Gold grid power finals to show up from Romania!
I would like to hear if anyone has a better combo.
You should find the Russian 6N6 will add something to the sound, although not quite as much as the driver tubes. I am running the same combination at the moment. Whether or not it is a "better" combo or not, but I also like the Yugoslavian 6HM5s (tall version) for an interesting alternative sometimes. Happy listening!

Dec 23, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #12,802 of 13,432
@stuntmanx8
6N6P… well probably I have 8 -10pcs of them, 3 - 4 different manufactures and production date... they are all just nice, nothing really special (imho)… they drain a lot of current and transfer heat to the amp body

if you really want to have an upgrade buy/build an adapter 6N6P to 6SN7… then do not search for white unicorn, just a good Russian NOS tube is fine and cost few bucks… or GE… or Sylvania… Tungsol are, imho, too light and doesn’t match well with Voshkod… RCA are also nice, a little slow and fat… the modern Chinese are good too, probably not the same quality as the nos from Russia and not the same expected life time, but modern sound fast and with punch, and cheap

but before of all a couple of 6H8C, the older the better, for few bucks :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #12,803 of 13,432
Can anyone help? I am running my LD MK2 through my amp. I have a NAD 320 and have the LD between the Pre-out and Main-in which seems to work fine. Discovered last night that if I turn the LD off while leaving the amp and source playing, the sound fades away as you would expect, and then comes back and carries on being audible. Left it like this for an hour or so as I thought it may just be some residual current left in the LD, but it just carries on. Does this mean the LD is doing nothing when it is actually turned on? Totally confused now. Thanks for any explanations.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #12,804 of 13,432
After much contemplating on a pair of 6HM5 for my Ld I+, I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of C3g instead. Talk about impulsive buy, lol.
Now browsing for a set of adapters on Ebay, I find two options, the expensive ones that most people have in there pictures, and a much cheaper one sold by tubemalls.
Is there any reason to not choose the cheaper ones aside from aesthetic reasons?

Dec 27, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #12,805 of 13,432
Can anyone help? I am running my LD MK2 through my amp. I have a NAD 320 and have the LD between the Pre-out and Main-in which seems to work fine. Discovered last night that if I turn the LD off while leaving the amp and source playing, the sound fades away as you would expect, and then comes back and carries on being audible. Left it like this for an hour or so as I thought it may just be some residual current left in the LD, but it just carries on. Does this mean the LD is doing nothing when it is actually turned on? Totally confused now. Thanks for any explanations.
The local negative feedback gain stage is allowing the music to pass through from your source.

This is the gain circuit in my LD MK IV and should be very similar in your MK II, the red line is the way the audio is getting through when the LD is off. There should be a difference in the audio level coming out of your speakers when the LD is on or off.
Local negative feedback.png

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #12,806 of 13,432
Hello,
Yes of course now that @TrollDragon says it.
To put it simply the Little Dot loops the signal which is normal.
That means you can listen to music and the signal goes through it whether it is on or off.

I didn't really understand what you meant from your wording.
But with the sketch and text from Trolldragon it was clear.

So there is nothing to worry about.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #12,807 of 13,432
The local negative feedback gain stage is allowing the music to pass through from your source.

This is the gain circuit in my LD MK IV and should be very similar in your MK II, the red line is the way the audio is getting through when the LD is off. There should be a difference in the audio level coming out of your speakers when the LD is on or off.

When the LD is on the audio goi

Hello,
Yes of course now that @TrollDragon says it.
To put it simply the Little Dot loops the signal which is normal.
That means you can listen to music and the signal goes through it whether it is on or off.

I didn't really understand what you meant from your wording.
But with the sketch and text from Trolldragon it was clear.

So there is nothing to worry about.
Thank you so much for the replies. It makes sense now and has reassured me that all is OK. I guess it is just something that I had never noticed before, so started to panic! I now need to go and have a whisky and calm down!

Dec 27, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #12,808 of 13,432
Thank you so much for the replies. It makes sense now and has reassured me that all is OK. I guess it is just something that I had never noticed before, so started to panic! I now need to go and have a whisky and calm down!
Sounds good.
I would also have a glass of whisky with it.😁
Hope it's a good bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back