Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 19, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #12,272 of 13,434
Since it appears that you live in Italy, perhaps Fivre 6SN7GT are relatively easy to find and not too expensive? To my ears, they are excellent. :)

yes, I live in Italy, Milan

what about the Russian tubes OTK? Do they sound terrible? they are really cheap
Fivre... well there are some from 30 euro up to more then 200 euro... and not so many

so all 6SN7... 6SN7GT / GTA / GTB are compatible with Little Dot MK2? No risk about overload because of inrush current? ( not with GTB obviously)

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #12,273 of 13,434
yes, I live in Italy, Milan

what about the Russian tubes OTK? Do they sound terrible? they are really cheap
Fivre... well there are some from 30 euro up to more then 200 euro... and not so many

so all 6SN7... 6SN7GT / GTA / GTB are compatible with Little Dot MK2? No risk about overload because of inrush current? ( not with GTB obviously)

I quite like the Russian Melz and Foton 6N8S. My advice is to go for 1950's production, if you can.

The 6SN7GTA and GTB were introduced to handle larger television screens, but the LD doesn't take adantage of the increased voltage and power ratings. One might say that the LD runs them very gently, so you can use any of them in the LD. However, in my opinion, when used in audio, the GT usually sounds better than the GTA and GTB, but not always. For example, a number of folks think the Westinghouse 6SN7GTB from the mid-1950's is a very fine tube.

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #12,274 of 13,434
What converter are people using to put 6SN7 tubes in the LD mk2? I looked at the various pictures posted in this thread, but can't see the full converter name and the links posted are to ebay sales that are no longer available.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #12,275 of 13,434
What converter are people using to put 6SN7 tubes in the LD mk2? I looked at the various pictures posted in this thread, but can't see the full converter name and the links posted are to ebay sales that are no longer available.

On top is an 8-pin 6SN7 socket and on the bottom, a 9-pin 6CG7 and 6FQ7 base. The 6CG7 and 6FQ7 have the same pinout as the stock 6Н6П so this adapter works perfectly.

For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-6SN7-C...-Socket-Adapter-Socket-Converter/233593598968

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #12,278 of 13,434
The 5670 to ECC88 socket adaptor arrived along with a few of the tubes I ordered. I can confirm that using a pair of Western Electric 396As as output tubes works perfectly with higher impedance headphones. HD650s, 600 ohm DT880s and 600 ohm K240s all sounded good. The Shanghai 6N3 also works without any problems. It's the best sounding Chinese tube I've heard so far. Now I just need to wait for the 6N3Ps and the 6N26P.

While it is certainly safe, with the heater drawing only 0.6amps, I suspect that it will be somewhat under-powered as an output tube, similar to a 6SN7GT.
I thought that might be the case. I always use higher impedance headphones with the MKIV and I haven't run into any issues while using 6SN7 tubes.

I use these tubes (6N26P)with my WA22 with 5670 to 6SN7 adapters its a very nice sounding tube can also use 5670,6N3P,396A ,according to my notes
The 6N3P would have been my next question so thank you for answering that.

Oct 23, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #12,279 of 13,434
The 5670 to ECC88 socket adaptor arrived along with a few of the tubes I ordered. I can confirm that using a pair of Western Electric 396As as output tubes works perfectly with higher impedance headphones. HD650s, 600 ohm DT880s and 600 ohm K240s all sounded good. The Shanghai 6N3 also works without any problems. It's the best sounding Chinese tube I've heard so far. Now I just need to wait for the 6N3Ps and the 6N26P.

I thought that might be the case. I always use higher impedance headphones with the MKIV and I haven't run into any issues while using 6SN7 tubes.

The 6N3P would have been my next question so thank you for answering that.
I have a pair of Reflektor 6N3P-DR tubes should try them its been a while s-l1600 (12).jpg

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #12,280 of 13,434
Quick question for the experienced MKIII tube rollers here~I have a MKIII with Tung-Sol 6AK5 drivers and 6H6n power tubes.
It sounds great especially since I installed the Tung-Sol driver tubes so my question is how much more does the amp have to give?
If I move on and try different tubes is the time and $$ worth it or am I close to the top of what this amp has to offer.

Oct 25, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #12,281 of 13,434
I have LD MKIVSE so I cannot compare directly (have listened to MKIII for a while though) but in my opinion you have just started. With use of adapters for other tubes there is a lot more ahead of you. I use C3g as input and 6N12S as output right now and that is very good but there are other alternatives. It all depends on your preference. And a lot of other aspects.

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #12,282 of 13,434
I have a pair of Reflektor 6N3P-DR tubes should try them its been a while
The Russian tubes I've tried have been some of favourite tubes, so I'm looking forward to see how these sound. I've ordered some different variations of the 6N3P from the Reflector and Oktyabr factories.

Quick question for the experienced MKIII tube rollers here~I have a MKIII with Tung-Sol 6AK5 drivers and 6H6n power tubes.
It sounds great especially since I installed the Tung-Sol driver tubes so my question is how much more does the amp have to give?
If I move on and try different tubes is the time and $$ worth it or am I close to the top of what this amp has to offer.
The best bang for your buck tubes without adaptors are probably going to be the 6N6P-IR as output tubes and EF91/EF92 as driver tubes. I've collected over 200 tubes and the best sounding pair of driver tubes that I've found has been some CV138s that I bought for £2 each. Using adaptors will open up your options to C3g driver tubes and 6SN7 output tubes but this is where it can start to get expensive. I use Telefunken C3g driver tubes with Raytheon 6SN7GTB output tubes and it definitely provides a noticeable upgrade.

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #12,283 of 13,434
No mentions here at all on Head-Fi about the LD H1, using two 6SN7. I'm thinking of getting one, but to run with the PSVANE CV181-TII.
Has anyone heard this amp anywhere?

3 months later and the LD H1 has been reviewed. I dedicated a small part to the 6SN7/6SL7GT/CV181-TII. I'm still surprised no one is talking about this amp. Could it be purely because of the looks and price? Because sound-wise it's actually very nice.

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #12,284 of 13,434
Took a long time to get everything from ebay, but finally got the setup i"m very happy with. Thanks to everyone for guidance and help!
6SN7GT VT-231 JAN Sylvania and C3G Siemens
Adapters and socket savers as I did not remove the gold rings.
Sounding great!IMG_7096.jpg

I wanted to post a quick follow-up after getting my new setup with the mkiii
I am hearing a low level hum, it is not super intrusive, but noticeably present.
Doesn't really change with volume control

Now since I have 6sn7gt , 6sn7gt converter, 9 pin socket saver and c3g, c3g converter, 7 pin socket saver
I thought it would be difficult to track down the noise, however, when I removed the c3g and placed my voshkod , dead silence. I then tried the voshkod with the 7pin saver, and still dead silence.
Therefore it must either be the c3g tubes themselves, or the c3g converter. However, I am unable to do any further testing because I don't have other tubes or other converters to try.

If I gently try to reposition the tubes, sometimes it feels like the hum is diminished, but then seems to come back after I am done fiddling.
I tried cleaning as much of the pins with some 99% isopropyl, but hasn't helped.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #12,285 of 13,434
I wanted to post a quick follow-up after getting my new setup with the mkiii
I am hearing a low level hum, it is not super intrusive, but noticeably present.
Doesn't really change with volume control

Now since I have 6sn7gt , 6sn7gt converter, 9 pin socket saver and c3g, c3g converter, 7 pin socket saver
I thought it would be difficult to track down the noise, however, when I removed the c3g and placed my voshkod , dead silence. I then tried the voshkod with the 7pin saver, and still dead silence.
Therefore it must either be the c3g tubes themselves, or the c3g converter. However, I am unable to do any further testing because I don't have other tubes or other converters to try.

If I gently try to reposition the tubes, sometimes it feels like the hum is diminished, but then seems to come back after I am done fiddling.
I tried cleaning as much of the pins with some 99% isopropyl, but hasn't helped.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

I suspect there is a good chance that it is the C3g. A C3g, strapped as a triode, has an amplification factor (AF) of around 40, which is fairly high for a driver in an OTL. And higher AF usually equates to more noise. None of the datasheets I have seen for the 6AK5 show an AF so I don't know what it might be, but I would guess that it is less than 40. So it just might be that if you want to use the C3g in the LD, you have to be willing to tolerate a little more noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back