Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 11, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #12,107 of 13,448
So just received my converters for the 6sn7 sylvania, does anyone know what EF setting i should have the LT mk2 set to?
Edit: plugged em in and worked straight away! :)

Thanks
Daniel

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #12,111 of 13,448
Ok whos got some good 6sn7 recommendations for my LDMk2?
:)

Thanks
Daniel
Sylvanias are nice and very neutral. Sovtek 6H8Cs are quite similar and really cheap.
As said elsewhere, Mullards are gorgeous but my all time favourites are Brimar 6SN7GT or CV1988 the bass is deep and chocolatey and paired with a pair of Mullard CV4014s, they are hard to beat.
Sometimes you can be lucky on eBay but look for oval plate ones.

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #12,112 of 13,448
I'm new to tube amps and my introduction is a Little Dot MK3 that came with Voskhod Rocket 6J1P-EV driver tubes and the stock power tubes.

My first impressions of this new tube sound is that it sounds... gritier? Dirtier? Not as clean as my Topping amp. A bit courser / rougher feel. Would any tube replacements give me a smoother/cleaner sound?

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #12,113 of 13,448
I'm new to tube amps and my introduction is a Little Dot MK3 that came with Voskhod Rocket 6J1P-EV driver tubes and the stock power tubes.

My first impressions of this new tube sound is that it sounds... gritier? Dirtier? Not as clean as my Topping amp. A bit courser / rougher feel. Would any tube replacements give me a smoother/cleaner sound?
Tube amplifier is there to make distortion, to the good way I supposed. You really won’t be able to be get the clean background like solid state.

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #12,114 of 13,448

ooh start the tube rolling! this is when you discover the perfect sound for your ears!
good luck and have fun

Best

Daniel

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #12,115 of 13,448

QUOTE]

If memory serves me these were clean sounding i have the tubes but dont have the amp anymore: ELECTRO HARMONIX 6H30Pi and VOSKHOD 6ZHiP-EV .

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #12,116 of 13,448
Tube amplifier is there to make distortion, to the good way I supposed. You really won’t be able to be get the clean background like solid state.
Yep, I was aware tube amps cause distortion, but I wasn't sure how it would manifest itself until finally trying it. I kept hearing about this "warmer" sound (vs cold and clean modern DAC/amps), but if this distortion is "gritier" sounding to me, then maybe tubes aren't for me.

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #12,117 of 13,448
Yep, I was aware tube amps cause distortion, but I wasn't sure how it would manifest itself until finally trying it. I kept hearing about this "warmer" sound (vs cold and clean modern DAC/amps), but if this distortion is "gritier" sounding to me, then maybe tubes aren't for me.
Not sure what you mean by "grittier". I found the tube sound definitely warmer and clearer,. The Voskhods have a slightly "brighter" sound compared to some other tubes , but I'm not sure I would describe them as gritty or dirty sounding. I wonder if there is some other issue going on with your amp.

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #12,118 of 13,448
I would try some other tubes, I don’t experience any gritty sound with my little dot mk2 . Quite the opposite! Just added some 6ns7 tube with adapter and osram z77 and it a silky presentation. The sound signature will change a lot with good tubes. The closest I have had to ‘gritty’ is cheap tubes.
best
Daniel

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #12,119 of 13,448
I have had the Little Dot Mk2 for a couple months. I ordered the 'best' tubes, based on my research, and found some nice ones. I did the same for my other setup (Darkvoice 336SE), and went down that same path, too. I will point out that, for the LD, I rarely found 'noisy' tubes in the way that I did for the DV. I honestly think the DV is the better amp, which is not that crazy a statement. I keep the DV in my living room as a statement piece, or whatever you wanna call it - it looks awesome, and it generally sounds awesome when you have the right things on it.

Today I recieved these Voshkods: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193246429693?ul_noapp=true

Absolutely bonkers. They make this LD sound like the big, spacious, and warm DV. I ordered another matched pair within minutes, in case I lost out on them. They were sealed like little treasures, and that's how I'm treating them. I do think they're so much more amazing than the Riverstones that everyone talks about (and I have 2 pairs of).

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #12,120 of 13,448

You might wanna check a few things, Little Dot has a post at their old website and talking about the noise and such, I’ll link below:

http://www.littledot.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=597

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back