Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Feb 28, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #10,786 of 13,432

​Seeing as these are power tubes, shouldn't they be matched?

Power tubes is a bit of a misnomer, the LD amplifiers are really just preamps.

The matching of power tubes is required in Push/Pull configurations where both tubes are required to draw the same amount of current. The output tubes of the LD amps are configured in a Cathode Follower configuration and tube matching is not required.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #10,787 of 13,432

Power tubes is a bit of a misnomer, the LD amplifiers are really just preamps.

The matching of power tubes is required in Push/Pull configurations where both tubes are required to draw the same amount of current. The output tubes of the LD amps are configured in a Cathode Follower configuration and tube matching is not required.

​Thanks for that TrollDragon, that's that cleared up

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #10,788 of 13,432
Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of questions and I apologize in advance if they have already been asked and answered! I have, of course, gone through the guide at the start of the thread (brilliant!) and have gone through the first ten and last ten pages. I have a LD MkIII, fed by a Fiio X5 (first gen), feeding Audioquest Nighthawks (and sometimes LZA4s, though not often)

I'm looking for tubes which will give a good representation across the frequency range (if either end were more important, perhaps it's high frequency, since I have Nighthawks and probably can't afford much roll-off up there!) but most importantly, soundstage! Both width and depth (but perhaps especially width!)

Currently on order, I'm waiting for Mullard M8161 and Tung Sol 6AK5. I'd love to try the Sylvania 5654W but they are currently out of stock (and I don't know if they'll be back). I'm in China so it's easy to find a wide range of tubes, but some are elusive!

Does anyone have any recommendations for hands-down, "you won't believe how out of your head this is!" soundstaging? Ok, maybe that's too much! I'll settle for - 'this is the widest/deepest soundstage I have heard through the Little Dot'
Also - for a tube like the JAN 5654W - how much difference does the manufacturer make? I was aiming for Sylvania but I think I can get some GE JANs - would they be comparable?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #10,789 of 13,432
You want a bigger soundstage get Senns HD800 series

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #10,790 of 13,432
Hi all,

just got my Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV (6J1P-EV) for 1+.
They do not sound as warm as the original ones. A bit harsh with some buzzing on some instruments.

Do they just need burn-in? Or in case I like the warmer more tubey sound signature, which tubes would you suggest?

BR

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #10,792 of 13,432
I would try and burn them in for a few houras they might mellow out, or it could be you have a duff pair, i've had that problem with Voskhods, as memtioned you will get a nice tubey sound from the m8100 especially with 6n6p for powers, another cheap option is the EI 6hm5, this produces a lovely sound

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #10,793 of 13,432

I suggest the Mullards M8100 and the Western Electric's 408 (or do you have the Western Electric 408 as stock tubes?)

No, I did have the chines ones-- 6Ji or so. I was surprised they were pretty good already despite of what was said. Thanks for the suggestions, I plannned to get the Mullards also.
Because why tubey rock n' rolla when you just try two pair :wink:

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #10,794 of 13,432
I would try and burn them in for a few houras they might mellow out, or it could be you have a duff pair, i've had that problem with Voskhods, as memtioned you will get a nice tubey sound from the m8100 especially with 6n6p for powers, another cheap option is the EI 6hm5, this produces a lovely sound

Ok thanks. I will try some burn in. Mullards are on my list. Hope to get the 6n6p version.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #10,795 of 13,432

In a nutshell, when pentodes are strapped as triodes, linearity typically goes out the window and distortion increases. And this is the model used in a Little Dot. That is, a pair of 6AK5, pentodes, are strapped as triodes.

The C3g, also a pentode, is unique in that it was deliberately designed to be strapped as a triode, with linearity and distortion levels comparable to a 6SN7, one of the finest tubes available for use in vacuum tube audio.

As an aside, one of the reasons the 6HM5 and the 6AV6 sound as good as they do, is that they are not triode-strapped pentodes. They are true triodes, with better linearity and lower distortion than any 6AK5.

So, the sonic signature of pair of C3g is comparable in linearity and distortion to a 6DJ8, used in a number of Schiit products, or a 6SN7, used in countless other audio products.

But of course, YMMV. There is no guarantee that they will sound better to your ears. :)

Hi Gibosi,

Reading your suggestions, I am keen to try out the 12AX7 and 6DJ8/6922 --- which I have a few on hand.  
I plan to build myself an adapter which will use one of these dual-triode tube for both L&R channels, and hopefully do not have worry about the unused halves of these dual triodes.

Having said that, can I expect the sound from these "true triodes" comparable to the 6HM5 and 6AV6?  
An interesting project, may take some patience to mount the pins mechanically!     :wink:

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #10,796 of 13,432

Quote:

In a nutshell, when pentodes are strapped as triodes, linearity typically goes out the window and distortion increases. And this is the model used in a Little Dot. That is, a pair of 6AK5, pentodes, are strapped as triodes.

The C3g, also a pentode, is unique in that it was deliberately designed to be strapped as a triode, with linearity and distortion levels comparable to a 6SN7, one of the finest tubes available for use in vacuum tube audio.

As an aside, one of the reasons the 6HM5 and the 6AV6 sound as good as they do, is that they are not triode-strapped pentodes. They are true triodes, with better linearity and lower distortion than any 6AK5.

So, the sonic signature of pair of C3g is comparable in linearity and distortion to a 6DJ8, used in a number of Schiit products, or a 6SN7, used in countless other audio products.

But of course, YMMV. There is no guarantee that they will sound better to your ears. :)

Hi Gibosi,

Reading your suggestions, I am keen to try out the 12AX7 and 6DJ8/6922 --- which I have a few on hand.  
I plan to build myself an adapter which will use one of these dual-triode tube for both L&R channels, and hopefully do not have worry about the unused halves of these dual triodes.

Having said that, can I expect the sound from these "true triodes" comparable to the 6HM5 and 6AV6?  
An interesting project, may take some patience to mount the pins mechanically!     :wink:

This is how I made these adapters                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #10,797 of 13,432
Mar 1, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #10,798 of 13,432

Personally, I found 6SN7 and 6DJ8 to be better than 12A-7, and significantly better than 6HM5 and 6AV6.

My "adapter" cannot be called elegant (TrollDragon) or steampunk (Mikelap). It was simply butt ugly. lol :) But in its favor, it was very simple and easy to configure.

Although some of the links are broken, here is the list of parts I used:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/5760#post_10435226

My Little "Monster" Dot

And the 7-pin test sockets allowed me to roll C3g with no disassembly.

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #10,799 of 13,432
Hey, I got some IEm or whatever (like the buzzing of a fly) on my LD 1+. Not constantly but contantly repeating itself. It is only on the right channel.
Voluming up from 0, right channel is also the first one to hear. Is it the source, the amp interior or the tube (connector)?

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #10,800 of 13,432

Quote:

Hi Gibosi,

This is how I made these adapters                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

This is how I made these adapters.

Those were really great times in this thread!

Personally, I found 6SN7 and 6DJ8 to be better than 12A-7, and significantly better than 6HM5 and 6AV6.

My "adapter" cannot be called elegant (TrollDragon) or steampunk (Mikelap). It was simply butt ugly. lol :) But in its favor, it was very simple and easy to configure.

Although some of the links are broken, here is the list of parts I used:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/5760#post_10435226

My Little "Monster" Dot

And the 7-pin test sockets allowed me to roll C3g with no disassembly.

Those were the days(Really good times).
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back