Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Feb 15, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #10,696 of 13,432
  Looking for tube rolling on MK2.
Which tubes sounds good on hd650? I am looking for warm sounding and bright to get rid of the Sennheiser 'Veil'.
Thanks

Undoubtedly, the C3g, as recommended by some other good guys in this post!   
I'm using the C3g with my HD650.    I tried quite a number of different tubes before.  The C3g has the detail, clarity as well as clean bass I need.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #10,697 of 13,432

In my opinion you cannot get rid of the "veil" but for sure obtain a more detailed and neutral sound with EF92 M8161 (Mullard). These are used in my current setup and sound good with HD600 and T1. I previously owned HD650 and I think they are close to HD600, but more bassy. Try M8161 and you will be fine.

Undoubtedly, the C3g, as recommended by some other good guys in this post!   
I'm using the C3g with my HD650.    I tried quite a number of different tubes before.  The C3g has the detail, clarity as well as clean bass I need.

Thanks! I just ordered M8161 for MK2. Will definitely try C3g later!

Do I need swap out the stock Power Tube as well?  

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #10,699 of 13,432
Which tubes sounds good on hd650? I am looking for warm sounding and bright to get rid of the Sennheiser 'Veil'.
Thanks

Feinanng:

Just a suggestion.......I have a Little Dot MK III and HD 700's.  Try to upgrade your stock headphone cable (if you haven't already)  A good aftermarket cable sound than the stock cable.
Again, some don't want to spend the additional money.  I have a Black Dragon v2 Cable, and for me, it cleared up my HD 700's.  Tight bass, clean Mids and not real bright highs.
Good Luck.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #10,700 of 13,432
IMHO the LD MKIII would be better served with a C3g/6AS7G endgame tube combo with that money, instead of a $250 cable.

Like everything in the game of audio, YMMV.
L3000.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #10,701 of 13,432
Thanks

​The M8161  are very good, also try Voskhod 6zh1p-ev, another highly recommended tube is the EI 6hm5, they are cheap, but as others have said the c3g is the pinnacle for the LD but they are expensive and hard to get.

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #10,704 of 13,432
Thanks

I kind of expected you were going to get different answers, but to me, it almost sounds like you were directly describing the Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV.  I would recommend getting ones with the OTK1 and military diamond/rhombus stamp.  A seller I'd strongly recommend is Ebay user glaz_25.  It might take a while to ship but he has great quality tubes and provides excellent care of your order.  The only thing is, nothing can really help the "veil" on the 650's, even EQ, as it's less a veil as it is the higher frequencies just somehow squashed/suppressed.  That along with more bloated bass/lower mids and a more limited soundstage (due to the differences in the reproduction of the treble) is precisely why I prefer the HD 600's (which ironically has the opposite problem where even though smooth, the upper frequencies can get quite overbearing with extended listening).

^If anyone is looking for Voskhod tubes, I would definitely recommend this seller.^

One seller I definitely wouldn't recommend is Tubes Unlimited at nosvacuumtubes.net, especially for the Voskhods.  Do not buy from there!  He sells some other brand, AEL, and were NOT manufactured at the Voskhod factory (claiming that they actually were), and is the most pretentious, arrogant, pointlessly prideful, know-nothing "business owner" - the biggest deluded nobody I've come across in a long time.  I'm the last person to typically label someone as arrogant, but if that person exists, it would definitely be him.  If there are any problems, he's the last person you'd want to deal with - just perhaps a warning for future buyers.

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #10,706 of 13,432
  I haven't tried the C3G.  Is this what everyone is talking about?  I've never seen one with an additional connector (or whatever it is) in the center.  How would it fit? XD  

The links are likely outdated by now, but this shows one way people are using the C3g:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/6000#post_10512665

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #10,708 of 13,432
^If anyone is looking for Voshkod tubes, I would definitely recommend this seller.^  

The pet peeve of this thread...
biggrin.gif

Voskhod is the correct spelling.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #10,709 of 13,432
  The pet peeve of this thread...
biggrin.gif

Voskhod is the correct spelling.

Ok, fixed.  Does it really matter though?  I linked directly to where you can find them so there wouldn't really be any confusion on that end.

Also, ironically, I actually speak Russian, and I know what the word is supposed to sound like.  Neither spelling makes sense.  It's technically just supposed to be pronounced "vas-hoh'd".  No idea where the "k" comes from.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #10,710 of 13,432
Also, ironically, I actually speak Russian, and I know what the word is supposed to sound like.  Neither spelling makes sense.  It's technically just supposed to be pronounced "vas-hoh'd".  No idea where the "k" comes from.

The "k" is a clue for English speakers that the s and h should be separate; otherwise they'd see the "sh" as /ʃ/.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back