Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Feb 5, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #10,651 of 13,433
Lol i just can't wait to get started :)

I'll look to get a pair of these GE Jan 565t4​ as suggested.. Got the other 2  all in preparation for the arrival of the LD mk2 lol

I have been looking at ways of storing my tubes and you Sir have found a damn good solution! Would you be so kind to let me know where you sourced it from? Is it a foam small inserts you pull out to get the right fit?

If Ebay, I am based in the UK but would hope available here!

Tip top and thank you for your help!

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #10,652 of 13,433

Hi, yeah it is small cubes you either pull away or cut with scissors. I purchased the case on amazon and you can find it here: case

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BM3RCOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works a treat, i also make a note on card and slot inbetween the cubes if i forget which is which.

Best 

Daniel

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #10,654 of 13,433

Forgive me for asking but i am super newbie to valves.. How do I know what type will work with LD MK2 ?
There seems to be so many different types.

Thanks

Back in the day, the chart in this post was our bible of replacement type tubes and how to strap them or use them directly.

Many of the tubes in this list are still viable and are all quite inexpensive.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/1140#post_9392055

YUP those were the days i've learned a lot from you guys in this thread i miss those days,Thanks!

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #10,656 of 13,433
  YUP those were the days i've learned a lot from you guys in this thread i miss those days,Thanks!

Those were indeed great days ILM2!
Many thread pages per day, it was hard to keep up sometimes.
beerchug.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #10,659 of 13,433
  I guess most of us move on but for me still learning from this hobby (Tube gears).
My MK III is being used as a Preamp for my set-up haven't listen to it with headphones for awhile.

Yes, indeed, those were great days, scouring eBay for new tubes and then trying to figure out how to run them in our Little Dots.

And for me, even though I now have a very different amp, nothing has really changed. That is, I am still scouring eBay for new tubes and then trying to figure out how to rum them. For example, pictured below, using four 6BX7 in place of two 6AS7, one ECC31, a common cathode double triode, in place of a 6SN7, and one UU8, a 4-volt rectifier, in place of a 5U4G.

And I am having a blast! :)

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #10,661 of 13,433
  I've been using my MK III for over a month now and didn't have any problems (apart from initial ground loop that I managed to fix easily by using a power extension cord that doesn't have ground pins). But recently the amp has developed a humming problem. It hums at very low frequencies for about 2 seconds, then 2 seconds of silence, then it repeats the cycle infinitely. It's a quiet humminh and I don't notice it when I listen to music, but when there's no music it's very irritating. Do I need to replace the power tubes?

Any chance that the LD is located near a router or other WIFI card, or microwave oven etc.?
The vacuum tube preamps are quite susceptible to induced noises, especially you are using a floating (ungrounded) power cable!

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #10,663 of 13,433
  Not sure if this has been discussed on here already but, do damper rings on tubes make a difference to SQ or are they just a gimmick to prise more money from our shrinking wallets?

They look really neat and add the same performance as chrome (go faster) tail lights.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #10,665 of 13,433

I guess most of us move on but for me still learning from this hobby (Tube gears).
My MK III is being used as a Preamp for my set-up haven't listen to it with headphones for awhile.

Yes, indeed, those were great days, scouring eBay for new tubes and then trying to figure out how to run them in our Little Dots.

And for me, even though I now have a very different amp, nothing has really changed. That is, I am still scouring eBay for new tubes and then trying to figure out how to rum them. For example, pictured below, using four 6BX7 in place of two 6AS7, one ECC31, a common cathode double triode, in place of a 6SN7, and one UU8, a 4-volt rectifier, in place of a 5U4G.

And I am having a blast! :)

WOW!That's a lot of tubes on  amp it looks good  i'am  sure it sounds good as will.I only listen to headphone occasionally currently i'am listening to my PIONEER SA-7700, SANSUI SPX-6900 Technics SL-1700(Shure M97xe/Ortofon 2M Red),LD MK III,KENWOOD KM 992,BOSE 901 Series I my setup is not a higher end vintage gear but i can tell you it sound much better than my Headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back