Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Feb 9, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #10,111 of 13,432

Thanks.  I will pay less attention to the word "Matched" going forward. 

The offer from @buldogge sound to be a really sweet deal on getting great tubes that are plug and play, a really good place to start IMHO.
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #10,114 of 13,432
  Hey guys really stupid question

I ordered  6n6p-ir and 2 6HM5 tubes which slots will they go in on my LDMK3?

6HM5 ARE DRIVERS (FRONT) 6N6P-IR are power tubes (back). By the way there's no stupid question i asked the same one when i started

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #10,115 of 13,432
  Hey guys really stupid question

I ordered  6n6p-ir and 2 6HM5 tubes which slots will they go in on my LDMK3?

even if you want you can't swap the slots, so don't worry its different pin configurations, 

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #10,116 of 13,432
on the mkIV se i actually prefer the 30pi then the ir . they sound better and i am using the voskhods for drivers good dynamic configuration.

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #10,118 of 13,432
Two types of 6ZH1P-EV:

I recently bought a Little Dot IV SE amp and started the tube rolling entertainment. Following your suggestions, I have bought the following driver tubes: tall 6HM5 and 6ZH1P-EV. They all sound acceptable in their initial services, but I have a couple surprises: 

1. The 6HM5s show firework in the first second or so when the amp is turned on, never knew any tube could do that.
2. I bought 6ZH1P-EVs from two sellers on Ebay and 2 distinct types of them showed up. The the first type has the conventional smooth glass tube, but the second type has 3 vertical notches long the tube and they are from 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182003142279?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The first type with the conventional smooth glass tube performed very well in their early service. Those with notches on glass tubes sounded bad in their initial service, but they sounded better later. 

I think those notches can enhance the integrity and reduce the vibration (if any) of the tube. 

I like those 6ZH1P-EVs without notches.

Have you used these two type 6ZH1P-EVs? Your impressions? 

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #10,119 of 13,432
  Two types of 6ZH1P-EV:

I recently bought a Little Dot IV SE amp and started the tube rolling entertainment. Following your suggestions, I have bought the following driver tubes: tall 6HM5 and 6ZH1P-EV. They all sound acceptable in their initial services, but I have a couple surprises: 

1. The 6HM5s show firework in the first second or so when the amp is turned on, never knew any tube could do that.
2. I bought 6ZH1P-EVs from two sellers on Ebay and 2 distinct types of them showed up. The the first type has the conventional smooth glass tube, but the second type has 3 vertical notches long the tube and they are from 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182003142279?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The first type with the conventional smooth glass tube performed very well in their early service. Those with notches on glass tubes sounded bad in their initial service, but they sounded better later. 

I think those notches can enhance the integrity and reduce the vibration (if any) of the tube. 

I like those 6ZH1P-EVs without notches.

Have you used these two type 6ZH1P-EVs? Your impressions? 

I have the one with notches unfortunately and they sound rather dull. There's definitely a bump in the bass but it's nothing to the level of Mullards. It feels like the bass is smoother than usual. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #10,122 of 13,432
My MkIII was purchased on Massdrop, came with power tubes with markings that show a pentagon symbol, with 6H6N under that, and 1082 under that, nothing else on tube.  Are these Russian? I thought the stock tubes were of Chinese origin.
I was looking at the matched pair of Novosibirsk 6H6P-I Power Tubes from Yen Audio, but being a tube noob, would I benefit from these over the tubes that came with it, especially at the cost?
Any good suggestions on better tubes, and where to get them?
I have purchased a few driver tubes and have been enjoying the whole rolling adventure so far, and really enjoy the 6ZH1P-EVs I received with the notches and little rocket symbol, sorry you guys above don't like them.
Thanks in advance!!

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #10,123 of 13,432
  My MkIII was purchased on Massdrop, came with power tubes with markings that show a pentagon symbol, with 6H6N under that, and 1082 under that, nothing else on tube.  Are these Russian? I thought the stock tubes were of Chinese origin.
I was looking at the matched pair of Novosibirsk 6H6P-I Power Tubes from Yen Audio, but being a tube noob, would I benefit from these over the tubes that came with it, especially at the cost?
I have purchased a few driver tubes and have been enjoying the whole rolling adventure so far, and really enjoy the 6ZH1P-EVs I received with the notches and little rocket symbol, sorry you guys above don't like them.
Thanks in advance!!

According to what I read from here, "matched" or not does not matter much. I bought a few 6H6P from ebay for my LD MKIV SE, so far, I have no complain yet. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #10,124 of 13,432
Thanks in advance!!

Pentagon is symbol of novosibirsk factory so yeah they are soviet.

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #10,125 of 13,432

According to what I read from here, "matched" or not does not matter much. I bought a few 6H6P from ebay for my LD MKIV SE, so far, I have no complain yet. 

Thanks for the info!
  Pentagon is symbol of novosibirsk factory so yeah they are soviet.

Cool, thanks. I have seen other tubes with that symbol on them, and usually were Soviet tubes, but wanted to be sure. So these are considered decent tubes? They have no problems with my Beyer or AKG cans, power to spare. And with the 6ZH1P-EVs it sounds really good, great bass, sweet vocals and awesome sound stage, just wondering if it can get better with more rolling the 6H6n's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back