Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jul 10, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #9,706 of 13,448

To be honest i dont remember about flare up havent listened in awhile maybe theres my chance to try them again ill get back to you in a few minutes to see if mine flareup or not  but meanwhile if the sound is good there's no problem .

Like this?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/3540#post_9895766

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #9,707 of 13,448
  So... I want to ask, my 6hm5 arrived. When I plugged them in, only 1 tube flared up in the beginning. The ohter one doesn't flare up at all. (pretty disappointing), i was looking forward to the quasi-firework.

Is that normal or does that mean one of my tube is defect?

Do you have sound out of the one that doesn't flare up? If so, it's fine. But of course, if not, this is not good....

And if you have no sound, try scraping the pins. I use an X-ACTO knife, not the sharp blade, but the dull top of the blade, to scrape them. And then try again.

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #9,708 of 13,448
i just turned LD MK3 on and one tube flares up more than the other one but they sound good .By the way the flaring up is there way of heating up

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #9,709 of 13,448

Do you have sound out of the one that doesn't flare up? If so, it's fine. But of course, if not, this is not good....

And if you have no sound, try scraping the pins. I use an X-ACTO knife, not the sharp blade, but the dull top of the blade, to scrape them. And then try again.

feels like one of the side is imbalance to be honest. But it's not detectable enough unless i go loud. And i always listen on a average-to-lowish volume. Like 20 on a Fiio x1 and x3.

I don't own an x-acto knife, and it's not sold here. Will Box Cutter do?

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #9,710 of 13,448

feels like one of the side is imbalance to be honest. But it's not detectable enough unless i go loud. And i always listen on a average-to-lowish volume. Like 20 on a Fiio x1 and x3.

I don't own an x-acto knife, and it's not sold here. Will Box Cutter do?

Yes use the dull side of the blade or use plain sandpaper personnally thats what i use

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #9,711 of 13,448
Awesome!

So... one of the headphone side is imbalance, the right headphone sound. But I don't understand... the tube that doesn't flare up is the tube on the left side from me.

Does that even makes sense? Or is that 2 totally unrelated stuff?

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #9,712 of 13,448
  Awesome!

So... one of the headphone side is imbalance, the right headphone sound. But I don't understand... the tube that doesn't flare up is the tube on the left side from me.

Does that even makes sense? Or is that 2 totally unrelated stuff?

Try cleaning tube first  then switch them around if the imbalance is on the other side maybe its the tube                                                                                         

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #9,713 of 13,448
Hi Headfi-ers,

I've lurked for a few weeks and today I've joined the forum, I didn't want to spam the forum with a question that's most definitely been asked before however I'm struggling to find an appropriate answer. Last week I purchased a little dot i+ amplifier and yesterday I received some nos EF1 tubes. I changed the jumpers, tried them out and everything is clipping, vocals are somewhat clear but everything else is just fuzzy. I've looked at the pins and they do seem dirty, I've ordered some deoxit but I thought I'd ask anyway since it wont be arriving for a few days. Is this a sign the tubes are faulty or do you think the pins oxidization could be the cause.

Kind Regards,
Duck

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #9,714 of 13,448
  Hi Headfi-ers,

I've lurked for a few weeks and today I've joined the forum, I didn't want to spam the forum with a question that's most definitely been asked before however I'm struggling to find an appropriate answer. Last week I purchased a little dot i+ amplifier and yesterday I received some nos EF1 tubes. I changed the jumpers, tried them out and everything is clipping, vocals are somewhat clear but everything else is just fuzzy. I've looked at the pins and they do seem dirty, I've ordered some deoxit but I thought I'd ask anyway since it wont be arriving for a few days. Is this a sign the tubes are faulty or do you think the pins oxidization could be the cause.

Kind Regards,
Duck

Welcome!

Rarely is deoxit needed.  Look at some of the posts above yours about cleaning the pins.  Since you have just received your amp, the tubes you have need need to cook; at least 20 hours.  You will notice things will sound better after that.

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #9,715 of 13,448
It's very possible that it's just oxidation causing the issue. If after using Deoxit on the pins, and the problem still exists, then I would without say that the tubes are defected. I own 2 pairs of vintage tubes made in 1945 actually, and one tube was defective! I had to have a replacement tube sent to me. And I use these tubes with my MK3 :wink::wink: in EF95 mode. They're 6AK5's

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #9,716 of 13,448
Appreciate the replies, The stock tubes are working just fine I believe they are the Chinese 6J1's, they are quite noisy tubes very susceptible to magnetic fields it would seem. When I get some time this weekend I'll try running the new tubes in for a few hours, hopefully I will hear some improvements.

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #9,718 of 13,448
  Appreciate the replies, The stock tubes are working just fine I believe they are the Chinese 6J1's, they are quite noisy tubes very susceptible to magnetic fields it would seem. When I get some time this weekend I'll try running the new tubes in for a few hours, hopefully I will hear some improvements.

I recommend you pick up a pair of Yugoslavian 6HM5's from eBay this seller here is excellent!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6HM5-6HA5-EC900-export-quality-audio-triode-tube-NOS-FREE-SHIPPING-/300879467071

Pick up three on the off chance one breaks in shipping, otherwise you will have a spare. Once you have the tall Yugoslavian 6HM5's there is no need to look any further, unless you want to get into adapters and dual triodes.

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #9,719 of 13,448
I own Yugoslavian 6HM5, Mullard M8100 voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, Telefunken 6AK5W Philips EH900S as well as a few pairs from the 1940's dude....don't kid yourself....because Thank you mentioning 6HM5's like their the best, you need to EXPAND YOURSELF away from 6HM5 :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #9,720 of 13,448
I own Yugoslavian 6HM5, Mullard M8100 voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, Telefunken 6AK5W Philips EH900S as well as a few pairs from the 1940's dude....don't kid yourself....because Thank you mentioning 6HM5's like their the best, you need to EXPAND YOURSELF away from 6HM5 :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

They are one of the best B7G tubes you can get for the price, I do enjoy the 6N23P & 6BQ7A better.

Even though I have only used a miniscule amount of tubes (38) in my MK IV, I do know what sounds good to me with my gear and my ears.

You on the other hand need to learn how to spell Voskhod...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back